New, old gamer needs help.

dragonbat13

Feb 18, 2013
Hi, havent been into gaming in over ten years, things have slightly changed.

Here is my rig
z68 asus mobo
gtx670 FTW+ 4Gb (on the way)
8Gb 1600 Corsair
256Gb samsung 840ssd
1T WD Black HDD
Windows 7 HP

Ok, I do a little gaming, but my boy does play more than I do along with my girlfriend. So I got her playing skyrim and he is playing Fear 2. Both steam games. What I dont like about steam games is that its a one player per game key ordeal (which I think is totally stupid, if you buy the game any body you want should be able to save there own story. I dont care what there concept is, its a ripoff). Anyway, I need a good game that we can all save a game on, and I can benchmark the GTX to maximize everything.

I want a FPS if possible.

And one other question. My boy is 8 right now, ( I know, fear isnt the best, I plan on getting something else for him.) He is having problems with math at school. I was wondering if there is a game out there that is nice and interesting, and can make learning his math more fun. Any ideas?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
ARMA 2 with the DAY Z, thatll grab your 'puter by the balls. As far as "interesting" games go try morrowind, its T so its perfect for your sons age and its very in depth. Or maybe Far Cry 1 or 3.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
One thing you can try is to play a good multiplayer FPS game. You can get right into the action and there is no story to worry about trying to save. Team Fortress 2 is an absolute blast, is safe for kids and is one hell of a lot of fun....oh, and its now FREE! It wasn't always free.
As far as the math goes, the only game I can think of that involves thinking is Portal and Portal 2. They are puzzle games and require creative thinking, safe for kids, but not math.

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
I second the Portals! Excellent games. And it saves your progress so if one person gets to level 10 say, another person can just start the game from the beginning and it won't lose your progress.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
How about Quake with the Darkplaces (HD) mod. The graphics are pretty damn good now and you can save it at any time with as many people playing as you want.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Just google 'educational math games', 'math games' or something like that. I hear there are a ton of games that deal with all kinds of learning subjects for kids.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
any gog game will allow multiple players. They have some pretty decent not too old rpg and fps. I recommend nwn2 and grimlock.
-
You said fps so divinity 2 is a first person rpg that is extermely good and fps'ish
also far cry 1 is excellent (though gog price is a bit high I would wait for a sale).
Grimlock (mentioned above is a puzzle game in disguise as an rpg).

dragonbat13

Feb 18, 2013
I appreciate all the comments. I suppose the google searches will give me the best results on the math. I was just hoping there was a game that was a hit.

I didnt know that they had all these mods for the games. I am going to look into the game save manager.

Just to give an idea, the last game I bought before the two steam games was call of duty 2. The two best games I have played of all time, Driver and Need For Speed, hot pursuit. That NFS was great. The best part was that if me and my brother were racing each other and the cops, and one of us got busted, it was still fun to watch the third person view of the other player. Great idea.

I am glad the save game manager is an option. I just ordered the 670 GTX and so far have been using an old x1950 pro 512MB on skyrim, at medium settings. New card should be in when I get home from work tuesday.

Thanks for all the help.