New Nvidia Drivers for Physx

Vesper8

Apr 29, 2005
Excuse the possibly dumb questions... but is it possible to use an old Nvidia card as a Physx card combined with a new high-end ATI card ?

And um... (this one's probably really dumb)... would an old 6600GT actually work (just for Physx) or is it a 8800 series minimum?

Ok last (possibly) dumb question... once the cuda thing is made to work on ATI cards... any chance any of these demos will actually run on ATI hardware?

thanx..

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
8000 series is the minimum, so 8400gt or 8500gt or 8600gt(s) etc will work, below that, no go ...

Chances of running on ati hardware, possible, but not now, will at least take some time ... If you ask me, there's no reason to buy a nvidia videocard right now to 'enjoy' physx. Not yet worth it ... For now it's just demo's anyways.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
8000 series is the minimum, so 8400gt or 8500gt or 8600gt(s) etc will work, below that, no go ...

Chances of running on ati hardware, possible, but not now, will at least take some time ... If you ask me, there's no reason to buy a nvidia videocard right now to 'enjoy' physx. Not yet worth it ... For now it's just demo's anyways.

So that game of GRAW2 I just played was a demo? Interesting....

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
I surprised this isn't being talked about more, installing now myself many hours after release

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
I surprised this isn't being talked about more, installing now myself many hours after release

Yeah, anyone else find any benefit from the new 177.83 drivers for XP? Should i bother upgrading to them?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
I surprised this isn't being talked about more here, installing now myself many hours after release

Fixed

I need to get another game besides GRAW 2 to test it out

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
The 177.83 drivers refuses to install on my computer and I have a 8800 GT. What's wrong?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: error8
The 177.83 drivers refuses to install on my computer and I have a 8800 GT. What's wrong?

The installation on mine lagged for a good 5-minutes during the install process, how long have you let it grind?

System:
Intel Q9450 with P45
4gb OCZ 1066 DDR2
Geforce GTX 260
Vista Business x64

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: error8

The installation on mine lagged for a good 5-minutes during the install process, how long have you let it grind?

System:
Intel Q9450 with P45
4gb OCZ 1066 DDR2
Geforce GTX 260
Vista Business x64

I let it for about the same time, but when it's finished it says something like "the instalation wizard didn't modified anything" or something like that and I click "finish" and nothing happens. I'm not asked to restart and if I am I still don't have a driver installed after reboot.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Stupid question, but are you guys installing as "administrators" on your machines?

And also, these 177.83's seem to include the latest PhysX Drivers. Something like 109MB download. Should take a bit longer to install than normal.

Make sure you properly uninstall previous drivers and Physx Drivers before installing this new driver.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
Someone wanna spill the details on this?

New drivers, some lame demos and a mod pack for UT3.

Not too much to get excited about yet.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Just so you know, the installation took a long time for me (to the point to where I thought it was hosed) but it eventually finished without error. So far I haven't been impressed with the two things I've tried. The water simulation is... meh, and the 'MKZ benchmark' is retarded. I'll still give the rest a shot though.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Vesper8
Excuse the possibly dumb questions... but is it possible to use an old Nvidia card as a Physx card combined with a new high-end ATI card ?

And um... (this one's probably really dumb)... would an old 6600GT actually work (just for Physx) or is it a 8800 series minimum?

Ok last (possibly) dumb question... once the cuda thing is made to work on ATI cards... any chance any of these demos will actually run on ATI hardware?

thanx..

I am wondering this also! I have an 8800GT doing nothing (well, its in my work pc now) because I bought a 4870. Can I get an xfire-compatible board and just set the 8800 to do Physx stuff? What chipset would be best suited? (P45 or x38/x48)

I am gonna google around, but if anyone saves me a few minutes, I'd really appreciate it.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: WelshBloke
Originally posted by: lupi
Someone wanna spill the details on this?

New drivers, some lame demos and a mod pack for UT3.

Not too much to get excited about yet.

Watch out Ocguy31 will eat you alive if he reads that :D

My opinion is that when implemented correctly (read: actually make it so that physics are a main element of the game, kinda like half life 2), it will be ground breaking and a much needed breath of fresh air in the game industry. However... That time is still far away, and having physx at the moment is like having SM3.0 in a 6800 back in 2006, by the time games actually make extensive use of it, the card wont be enough

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
Hey portal also had the best ever CPU based phy's...

Anyhoo pls someone try this with a 8800 GTS 320 and use the UT3 Mod..

I bought the 6800 Ultra in 2005 and it lasted me quite a long time.. Did not touch any 7series just OCed and water blocked it...!!!

Any one recall that ASUS Dual 6800 card oh that was something special but was too expensive for me...!!!

BTW That Uhh "Breathless" movement will come soon with DX11 "i hope, DX10 delivered sh*t which is also Vista's fault for being such a bad OS anyway"

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
Hey portal also had the best ever CPU based phy's...

Anyhoo pls someone try this with a 8800 GTS 320 and use the UT3 Mod..

I bought the 6800 Ultra in 2005 and it lasted me quite a long time.. Did not touch any 7series just OCed and water blocked it...!!!

Any one recall that ASUS Dual 6800 card oh that was something special but was too expensive for me...!!!

BTW That Uhh "Breathless" movement will come soon with DX11 "i hope, DX10 delivered sh*t which is also Vista's fault for being such a bad OS anyway"

Well I've got an 8800 GTS 640 but no UT3, does it work with the demo?

More to the point does anyone play UT3 anymore? and how many will be playing multiplayer physx maps?

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I tried the UT3 PhysX maps, lighthouse specifically and after 3 minutes of staring at a loading screen, it crashed my game, same thing with tornado, patch 1.2 and enabled hardware acceleration in both the control panel and the in-game settings.

Lately everything's been going wrong with my computer :(

DarkZeratul

Jul 31, 2008
www.gamespot.com
Hey boys, maybe there's some misunderstanding here -or- I'm reading upside down...:p Are u saying that nVidia are makin' new drivers [or CUDA-enabled software, or something that works the same way] that not only allow to work 2 modern GCards [8800 equivalent or more] in the same MoBo, EVEN IF IT doesn't have SLI... but this driver-soft-whatever could allow an ATI 48xx do the hard work o' graphics, AND LET THE MERE PHYSICS 2 A LESSER nVidia GCard ON THE SAME MoBo? REALLY???

2 months ago I read on Anandtech that nVidia was doin' pretty good on the PC Graphics business... When they choose to let this business to ATI and make money writing CUDA software - and drivers???