New non-gaming build

droopydrawers

Dec 2, 2008
I haven't done a build or kept up with the tech since the late 90's and I need some help. My laptop burned and I want to build a cheap desktop. I will use it for internet, office apps, DVD burns and some 2D and 3D rendering (photoshop, premiere, 3D studio Max). My kids will probably play Sims 2 on it but nothing heavier since Santa is bringing an xbox. I would like to keep it below $300 (less is better) and I already have HDD and DVD burner (both IDE) and a monitor I would like to use for a while. So minimum I need case/PS, cpu, cooler, and MB w/ 2 IDE slots.

Can I get by with on board graphics?
Should I get a SATA HDD?

Thanks

leglez

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2005
Just a quick build I threw together.

Motherboard $64.99
CPU $82.99
RAM $24.99
PSU $40.99
Case $29.99
Graphics Card $34.99

Total: $278.94

Also do you plan on overclocking? That motherboard has support for quad core and supports up to 8GB of RAM so you can somewhat futureproof it. You could go with a different video card or try finding a motherboard with onboard.

droopydrawers

Dec 2, 2008
No overclocking. I'm not married to on board graphics just don't want to buy a card if my uses don't justify it. Thanks for the suggestions.

leglez

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2005
Or if you wanted a really cheap solution you could build a pc using the intel atom motherboard/processor combo. I think it is like $70 for 1.6ghz. Would be perfect for internet, office apps, and possible burning dvds.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Better PSU
Better Graphics Card

You also mentioned 3D rendering, which would greatly benefit from a Quad Core CPU. Since your not overclocking an AMD Phenom might be a better choice for your situation.

droopydrawers

Dec 2, 2008
3D modeling will be ~10-20% of my use. I do molecular modeling and use 3D studio as well as some less intensive protein modeling programs. As I said, Im not a gamer so overclocking isnt an issue. One last question, should I try and find an IDE board or just bite the extra cost and buy SATA drives?

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
you could always just convert those old ide hard drives to external backup ones. if you get a mobo with integrated graphics, go with one from amd/ati or nvidia. those two offer something better than what intel does. then again intel has better processors than amd but at the low end price range you probably wont notice much of a difference between either..

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
This might suit you fine then: Compusa/Tigerdirect. Awesome setup for $300 after a $50 rebate. Saw this in the Hot Deals forum. I might go for this myself...

Bob