buy it at Newegg.com. Great prices.
Fast shipping. And more computers,
electronics and accessories than
you can cram inside four walls.

A bit exploitative, what do you think?

benliong

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2000
It sounds a bit dirty, but be assured that businesses know of these kind of behavior in their customers. Just like amazon, they know that if they don't have the best price, a lot of people would go in, use their reviews and ratings, and buy books from somewhere else.

but yeah, that ad just sounds wrong.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I disagree with the mentality of that ad. If I don't know something, and need to go to a store that sells the product to ask about it from an experenced individual, I wull buy the product at that store. It is supporting the people who know WTF they are doing. I don't go to Tweeter, ask their opinion on the best bandpass box, then go to best buy to get it.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
huh...that really makes me look down on newegg. I love doing business with them, but after having done some retail work (albeit in a considerably higher end store when compared to BB or CC), that really pisses me off.

If you're going to buy something from newegg, you buy it sight unseen, that's why you can save money. If you need to walk into a store and waste somebody elses time, then buy it there.

I'm sure tons of people here won't agree with me, but I'm not poor either, so oh well.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
I work in retail, shop at newegg quite a bit, but after this I may considering moving more of my business over to zipzoomfly, etc. Sorry, but letting people "play with buttons" and "talk to salespeople" costs money and it is unfair to abuse that system.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Anyone who gets anything explicit out of that ad is either way too horny is reads into things way too much.

I feel like I'm in a WayneTek thread "OMG SHE HELD MY HAND!!11! WE'RE LYK MARRIED NOW RIGHT?!/1!?"

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: aplefka
Anyone who gets anything explicit out of that ad is either way too horny is reads into things way too much.

I feel like I'm in a WayneTek thread "OMG SHE HELD MY HAND!!11! WE'RE LYK MARRIED NOW RIGHT?!/1!?"

Read the ad again. There's nothing explicit about it, it's a classless advertisement by Newegg.

Mar 19, 2003
Meh....I do that all the time. Businesses are always trying to minimize their costs; I see no reason why I shouldn't do the same for my own personal purchases. Why would I buy a camera from BB for $450 when I can buy the exact same camera online for $320 (which is exactly what I did last month)? It might be a different story if I really had money to burn, but I don't.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003

That is definitely going in my sig...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Who said it was explicit?

Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
Not classy, for sure.

:thumbsup:

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ

Read the ad again. There's nothing explicit about it, it's a classless advertisement by Newegg.

Ahhhh... now I see what you guys mean. The way they write it. I thought it was some kind of sexual innuendo or something and I was drawing a blank seeing where it was. I dunno, I think it's kinda saying that "Look around and you'll see that we're still the best out of everyone." *shrugs*

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
if you don't see what's wrong with that, consider it like this:

A Best City USA is not open to give out free advice, nor as a display for manufacturer's items. It's there so they can sell stuff. You wouldn't expect to walk into a doctor's or lawyer's office, get 30 minutes of advice that you couldn't get otherwise and expect it to be free.

I can still see that people won't have a problem with this practice...so how about I get your phone # and call you for tech support and advice that you specialize in, since I want to minimize my costs too.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001

Ahhhh... now I see what you guys mean. The way they write it. I thought it was some kind of sexual innuendo or something and I was drawing a blank seeing where it was. I dunno, I think it's kinda saying that "Look around and you'll see that we're still the best out of everyone." *shrugs*

it's more like "rip off the B&amp;M stores by taking advantage of their demo units and salesmen but giving your money to us"

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
if you don't see what's wrong with that, consider it like this:

A Best City USA is not open to give out free advice, nor as a display for manufacturer's items. It's there so they can sell stuff. You wouldn't expect to walk into a doctor's or lawyer's office, get 30 minutes of advice that you couldn't get otherwise and expect it to be free.

I can still see that people won't have a problem with this practice...so how about I get your phone # and call you for tech support and advice that you specialize in, since I want to minimize my costs too.

I can see their responses already - "If they didn't want you to use the display models and talk to their salespeople, they wouldn't have them." :roll:

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: dighn

it's more like "rip off the B&amp;M stores by taking advantage of their demo units and salesmen but giving your money to us"

I guess. I dunno, Newegg will forever be #1 to me simply because of all the asshats I've dealt with at Fry's, BB, CC, and so on. Only once ever, in CC, did I find someone who had a single clue what he was talking about. My dad and I were so shocked that we flat out asked him why he was working in a department he actually knew something about.