Rant New new things about Coronavirus yesterday

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So yesterday morning when I to groups and the first was a Medication/Health one, The person leader said group decide to inform us about Coronavirus since their a mass hysteria about the virus.

Using information provided by the CDC, I learn that there is fair amount bigotry towards Chinese-Americans and other Asian-Americans by other Americas. Such as Chinese and other Asian Restaurants losing business due to folks afraid of catching this disease. Nevermind mind that the getting the Flu and dying from it should be a much bigger concern.:rolleyes:

Another item that came to my attention is that Surgical Masks are nearly useless in preventing getting this virus since it can enter the unprotected eyes. Only useful for those already infected and who are caring for them. And of course medical personal.

In other words, since there shortage severe enough that those who actually need them have a hard time getting them.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I learn that there is fair amount bigotry towards Chinese-Americans and other Asian-Americans by other Americas. Such as Chinese and other Asian Restaurants losing business due to folks afraid of catching this disease. Ne

You mean people can be ignorant assholes? Can't be....

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
So yesterday morning when I to groups and the first was a Medication/Health one, The person leader said group decide to inform us about Coronavirus since their a mass hysteria about the virus.

Using information provided by the CDC, I learn that there is fair amount bigotry towards Chinese-Americans and other Asian-Americans by other Americas. Such as Chinese and other Asian Restaurants losing business due to folks afraid of catching this disease. Nevermind mind that the getting the Flu and dying from it should be a much bigger concern.:rolleyes:

Another item that came to my attention is that Surgical Masks are nearly useless in preventing getting this virus since it can enter the unprotected eyes. Only useful for those already infected and who are caring for them. And of course medical personal.

In other words, since there shortage severe enough that those who actually need them have a hard time getting them.

Unfortunately racism against Chinese, Russians, and Muslims is socially tolerated.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Re: Surgical masks
They are basically tissues tied to your face. They don't stop you from breathing in virus particles.

They are only good for you not spewing droplets all over the place if you sneeze out cough. That does help slow down transmission, but please, don't use/horde them unless you have a true medical necessity.

They are in very limited supply for the hc workers, the very people needed to fight the crisis

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
Russians.

Really?

Wow...
Eh, it can happen. It's not super prevalent in the US since there's not a whole lot of Russians about (although people have a nasty habit of mistaking any slav for being Russian) but places like the UK have seen Russian expatriates get accusing of being in league with Putin, even if they left Russia because of him.

• Wow
Reactions: whm1974

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
In the US, I am far more likely to catch the Flu and a rather particular nasty cold and die from them instead of the Corvid-19 virus. Come of it, as of Monday Morning, only 10 people in the entire US died from the Coronavirus.

That seems simplistic to me. Is the incidence of getting or dying from the flu currently growing exponentially? And as of now that figure is 31, not 10. Granted most of those are much older than us, but dying isn't the only thing to worry about - ending up in intensive care isn't fun , from what I've heard.

No European country has been entirely 'locked down' due to a flu outbreak in my life-time. In that time I don't think any flu outbreak has caused such a country to come close to running out of hospital beds, for that matter.

I'm not panicking, but the constant refrain of 'N people died of flu' gets on my nerves.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That seems simplistic to me. Is the incidence of getting or dying from the flu currently growing exponentially? And as of now that figure is 31, not 10. Granted most of those are much older than us, but dying isn't the only thing to worry about - ending up in intensive care isn't fun , from what I've heard.

No European country has been entirely 'locked down' due to a flu outbreak in my life-time. In that time I don't think any flu outbreak has caused such a country to come close to running out of hospital beds, for that matter.

I'm not panicking, but the constant refrain of 'N people died of flu' gets on my nerves.

And it's not just about the dying.. .it's about huge swaths of the population being sick at the same time. Overrunning hospitals and medical facilities, unable to attend work creating work shortages, supply line issues, production issues etc etc. This disease is very contagious and will likely knock you out for a week+. We can't have 10% of the workforce calling in sick for 10 days. And yes, there is the aforementioned "death problem"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Getting the flu and dying from it should not be a much bigger concern - the mortality rate for coronavirus appears to be somewhere between ten and thirty times higher than for the flu.

People who aren't going to Chinese restaurants because of this disease are morons though.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
In the US, I am far more likely to catch the Flu and a rather particular nasty cold and die from them instead of the Corvid-19 virus. Come of it, as of Monday Morning, only 10 people in the entire US died from the Coronavirus.
I am sorry that you actually believe this nonsense......

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You're quoting the IrrationalSnotRag as a news source and calling others delusional? Really?

I chose that particular source to appeal to the OP's sensibilities. There are any number of authoritative sources in agreement, from the WHO to the CDC and beyond. Coronavirus is more contagious and more deadly than the flu.

Reactions: JEDIYoda and pmv

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
As of right now it's 29. That pot of water is getting warm, you should take notice.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

There is something very badly damaged with your reasoning.

I mean, as of 12:01am on January 1st, no American died from anything this year. Guess we're all immortal now, eh?

Reactions: pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You're quoting the IrrationalSnotRag as a news source and calling others delusional? Really?

On this issue though it doesn't seem hugely different from The Guardian.

It's interesing that at least at first, Team Complacency vs Panic Squad don't seem to line up that well with existing political tribes. I wonder if that will change, as people self-sort by political affiliation? Trump has decided to act as a strange attractor for the former, as he tries to stir up complacency. But many on the right could easily have gone to the other extreme, with that survivalist prepper mentality that is common there.

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
As of right now it's 29. That pot of water is getting warm, you should take notice.

Right. It's accurate to say influenza is more prevalent and dangerous for today but that the likelihood is that COVID-19 is going to usurp that significantly. That's uncertain, but it's the growing impression that community spread is inevitable where it doesn't currently exist. Also given the lag in available testing the scope of the problem is likely already much larger than previously recognized. Given its greater infectivity, it's really hard to take public health measures to contain it. Thankfully, it's likely at worst to be tragic in terms of death toll based on who is at greatest risk of severe infection, but being someone on immunosuppressive medication working in a hospital living with kids and a 72 year old at the same household has me significantly worried far beyond the flu.

Reactions: pmv and [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Thankfully, it's likely at worst to be tragic in terms of death toll based on who is at greatest risk of severe infection, but being someone on immunosuppressive medication working in a hospital living with kids and a 72 year old at the same household has me significantly worried far beyond the flu.
Yeah, I'm personally in a relatively safe age range, but my GF has a suppressed immune system due to a pre-existing condition (and is evident by how often she gets sick). In addition, I have some in-laws to be worried about.

The people that matter aren't taking this seriously enough.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

The flu has had a 500 year head start and is already endemic (exists basically everywhere). If Coronavirus becomes endemic it will be disastrous.

Mar 11, 2004
The flu has had a 500 year head start and is already endemic (exists basically everywhere). If Coronavirus becomes endemic it will be disastrous.

I don't really like the use of endemic there as its somewhat true but also kinda the total opposite of what it is (endemic means of a particular group or area, so everywhere is kinda the total opposite, but it is kinda true in that you are saying endemic to humans). The thing is though, even in that sense, it IS endemic. There's several strains of coronavirus that are endemic in humans (they cause light respiratory illnesses that most people likely assume are common cold) and many more that are endemic in bat populations. The issue is that occasionally they transfer over. Same situation with ebola and several other diseases (bats are carriers, and sometimes a mutation or something happens and they transfer to another species and then transfer to humans). So, the specific strain of coronavirus causing this is not endemic to humans (we'll see how things go from here though), but I believe it is to bats. Which is why they've been on the lookout for this, after SARS and then MERS. It wasn't until those that we were concerned with coronavirus because it was endemic and wasn't causing pandemics. But then it did.

Really, the coronavirus situation is kinda similar to the flu in that it is prevalent and has been for a very long time (I forget how long we've known about coronavirus, think its like a good 70+ years with some evidence showing it might have cropped up in a nasty manner here and there for hundreds or perhaps thousands of years), but sometimes a nasty strain happens and it is devastating. Here's hoping it doesn't become endemic, we can develop a vaccine for it, and we don't get major pandemics that rival old days.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

based on what? the complete lack of accurate testing and reporting on corona spread, which is the only means to generate the actual data necessary to make the claim that you are trying to make?

we do know that corona is far, far more virulent than the flu, simply based on its transmission period. But, you can't make any kind of honest claim either way without any real reporting of how many cases we actually have.