Question New network build, EnGenius vs UI?

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
I'm looking at setting up a more advanced network for someone; they are more of a prosumer. I have an interest in this project and am looking for some answers.

They will be using a Netgate 2100 for their router/firewall and have a few different VLANs set up. They will have some PoE devices, cameras and other equipment.
We've looked at and used Ubiquit's product line and like them for the most part. We came across the Engenius brand while browsing here and am wondering, what the major differences are?

We plan on deploying 1 AP and having 2 VLANs on it. We'd also like to have a 24 port switch that we can manage VLANs and has PoE.

To Recap:
  1. Netgate 2100 Router/Firewall
  2. 1 AP - 2 VLANs (internal and guest)
  3. 24 Port Switch that has VLAN support and PoE
It looks like Engenius has a good switch that fits the needs. They do not care not want to use the "cloud" aspect of the technology and would like for that to be blocked/disabled.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
A lot of people who are fed up with ubiquiti end up going to Engenius.
Its also the vice versa.

They are both great brands.
I have both, and i like both, but i am a bit more on Ubiquiti's line.

As for software, your going to get a mix of reviews for both.
If you stick with ubiquiti only products, they make things like vlan very simple and dumb it down a lot.
I also like the how aesthetically things look on ubiquiti's side.

Either or, you won't be upset.
Ubiquiti also tends to be a bit more pricey then EnGenius, so you should factor that into budget as well.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I don't need to use the EnGenius SkyKey to manage the switch and AP do I? Assuming we can log into each unit to manage?

i dont recall having to do that.
all there ap's allow you to login directly to its GUI and config it from there.

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
I've had horrible experience with Ubiquiti customer service and I'm looking at going other route for my security/cam needs.
1) One of there cams was DOA right out of the box but was out of warranty period. Boiled down, I was told to trash the camera and they weren't going to touch it. Wonderful, a ~$150 camera that I get to throw into landfill.
2) They have discontinued support of UniFi Video and are forcing people to use Ubiquiti equipment that has a significant price tag attached.

But using their cams and POE switch with UniFi Video has been fairly nice and easy.

I'll be drop kicking their POE switch and using a Jetstream I have on the rack.