New Navy ship named after Giffords

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
These are such tricky issues - several people were killed that day, including a federal judge and others, and it's dicey saying they're 'less important'.

But she was a Congresswoman, and the target, and that deserves some recognition in something like this, it's just awkward regarding the other victims.

I think it's overstated to use the word 'class' for the miitary doing this. It's the sort of thing they just do with naming ships.

These are my sentiments as well.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nice gesture and all that, no disrespect meant here. I just don't see the relation to why they named a ship after Mrs Giffords. I think there are probably hundreds of people that are more deserving of this honor.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
The Navy is the most defective of the three services. The Tailhook charade was the first real chance for the lunatics to monkey with the services so the Navy has been getting the business longer. Plus the floating brothel ship environment allowed more perversity as diversity. As America's Marxist president defunds and shrinks the services while feminizing and perverting what's left I suppose the US will be lucky if ships aren't named after Disney characters or the Village People. Naming a ship after Giffords is a joke of course - almost as bad as naming one after that dyspeptic, traitorous gas bag Murtha.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Nice gesture and all that, no disrespect meant here. I just don't see the relation to why they named a ship after Mrs Giffords. I think there are probably hundreds of people that are more deserving of this honor.

These were my thoughts as well. Shows that a lot of names are done for political reasons.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
The Navy is the most defective of the three services. The Tailhook charade was the first real chance for the lunatics to monkey with the services so the Navy has been getting the business longer. Plus the floating brothel ship environment allowed more perversity as diversity. As America's Marxist president defunds and shrinks the services while feminizing and perverting what's left I suppose the US will be lucky if ships aren't named after Disney characters or the Village People. Naming a ship after Giffords is a joke of course - almost as bad as naming one after that dyspeptic, traitorous gas bag Murtha.

Take your trolling elsewhere. :thumbsdown:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Pssst; Your ignorance is hanging out.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Her recovery is quite impressive and I wish her the best but I would rather them name ships after people who have made more of a contribution or knowing sacrifice. I don't really see how having a crazy person shoot you in head justifies getting a ship named after you. You could argue that she was shot in the service of her country but so are many soldiers who know they are taking big risks everyday rather than just facing the risk of a rare event like Gifford's did.

Totally agree.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
God, Navy ship naming is so screwed up. Back in the day it was simple, battleships were named after states, cruisers were named after cities, destroyers after people, etc etc. Now we have this retarded shit where we're naming aircraft carriers after mediocre ex-presidents and ships classes like the LCS have no consistency at all. The first ones get jingoistic garbage names (USS Freedom? Seriously?) then the next few are named after cities, and now this. What horseshit.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
I think it's pretty cool.

I especially think it's cool that so many people here are getting butt-hurt about it.

:thumbsup:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
There's no longer a USS Yorktown, Saratoga or Lexington in service but we have a USS Gerald Ford and soon a USS Gabrielle Giffords :disgust:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Now, who'd like to discuss in another thread the differences between naming a ship after her as compared with naming an aircraft carrier after Ronnie Reagan?

God, Navy ship naming is so screwed up. Back in the day it was simple, battleships were named after states, cruisers were named after cities, destroyers after people, etc etc. Now we have this retarded shit where we're naming aircraft carriers after mediocre ex-presidents and ships classes like the LCS have no consistency at all. The first ones get jingoistic garbage names (USS Freedom? Seriously?) then the next few are named after cities, and now this. What horseshit.

There's no longer a USS Yorktown, Saratoga or Lexington in service but we have a USS Gerald Ford and soon a USS Gabrielle Giffords :disgust:

:thumbsup: Compeltely agree. I hate that we already have a carrier named after Bush Sr. and I have to believe teh skewed namings are completely politically motivated

And next year we will probably be without a ship named Enterprise

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Ship naming started to get really screwed up when the navy named aircraft carriers after Carl Vinson and John Stennis. Yay, let's name our largest warships after loathsome segregationist politicians whose greatest accomplishments were getting re-elected for decades.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Ship naming started to get really screwed up when the navy named aircraft carriers after Carl Vinson and John Stennis. Yay, let's name our largest warships after loathsome segregationist politicians whose greatest accomplishments were getting re-elected for decades.

Those politicians were instrumented in getting funds approved for the Navy:thumbsup:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

Have you served in the military? US Navy?

Maybe you should go read up on Carl Vinson ("The Father of the Two-Ocean Navy") and see what he did for the Navy before you piss on his name. You need to read up on John Stennis ("Father of America's Modern Navy") as well.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Those politicians were instrumented in getting funds approved for the Navy:thumbsup:

So name a destroyer after them like they did back in the day. The carriers that won the Second World War weren't named after people, ship naming was far less screwed up back then.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i dont mean any disrespect but naming a ship after somebody is a great honor and should be reserved for people who have lived extraordinary and are dead.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
So name a destroyer after them like they did back in the day. The carriers that won the Second World War weren't named after people, ship naming was far less screwed up back then.

ORLY?

USS Franklin. No, It was not named for the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee, that was fought during the American Civil War.

USS Hancock. Though technically named for John Hancock Life Insurance Company.

Also the USS Coral Sea was renamed the USS Franklin D Roosevelt and fought in WWII.

Last edited:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I believe that both Franklin and Hancock were named after the previous ships that bore the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_class_aircraft_carrier#Development

The first eight hulls were originally assigned names from historic Navy ships (Essex, Bon Homme Richard, Intrepid, Kearsarge, Franklin, Hancock, Randolph, Cabot).

Even if the ships had been named after individuals rather than previous ships, people like John Stennis or Gabrielle Giffords don't have even a tiny fraction of the historical stature of Benjamin Franklin or John Hancock.

Besides, when you think of the great names of WW2 the ships that come to mind are Enterprise, Lexington, Yorktown, Saratoga, Hornet & Wasp. Those names deserve to be honored far more than some politicians regardless of how many navy appropriations bills they supported.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Besides, when you think of the great names of WW2 the ships that come to mind are Enterprise, Lexington, Yorktown, Saratoga, Hornet & Wasp. Those names deserve to be honored far more than some politicians regardless of how many navy appropriations bills they supported.

Don't like how US Naval ships are named become a Senator, Congressman, or Navy Admiral.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I believe that both Franklin and Hancock were named after the previous ships that bore the name.

Right...The USS Franklin wasn't named after Benjamin Franklin; it was named after a previous ship named after....Benjamin Franklin.

412424523_21d3228490.jpg

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Maybe you should go read up on Carl Vinson ("The Father of the Two-Ocean Navy") and see what he did for the Navy before you piss on his name. You need to read up on John Stennis ("Father of America's Modern Navy") as well.

I know perfectly well who Carl Vinson and John Stennis are. Sorry but chairing some congressional committee does not mean that your name has anything like the same historical significance as Yorktown, Lexington, Enterprise, etc. Naming a destroyer after them like the Navy did back in the day is one thing, but an aircraft carrier? Ugh. Don't even get me started on naming one after Gerald Ford...

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I know perfectly well who Carl Vinson and John Stennis are. Sorry but chairing some congressional committee does not mean that your name has anything like the same historical significance as Yorktown, Lexington, Enterprise, etc. Naming a destroyer after them like the Navy did back in the day is one thing, but an aircraft carrier? Ugh. Don't even get me started on naming one after Gerald Ford...

Considering the personnel that are serving/who served on those ships are proud to serve on them your discontent falls on deaf ears. My bet is you've never served and have no intention of ever serving in the military.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007

Well then i guess it's a good thing that you're not on the ship naming committee.

Having every other ship named USS Yorktown would get confusing.