New Muon1 sub-project

stephenbrooks

Feb 3, 2004
There's a new thing going on in Muon1 and it's here: http://stephenbrooks.org/forum/?thread=1436

Best put any technical comments on that thread if you can. Basically I'm doing a scan of some special batches of workunits, which should produce an interesting graph (well, a graph that I find interesting). And you get Mpts credit for these special workunits too, of course.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I've put my primary rig on this (i7 930 processor & 12gb RAM) on this. I will leave my normal machines running dpad normally.

I have queue975-999.txt and have noted in the thread at stephenbrooks.org.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Will we get to see the graph when it is finished? I'm just curious if I will find it interesting as well. :)

stephenbrooks

Feb 3, 2004
Yes, I'll be plotting the graph as chunks of it come in. I think most users who understand how Muon1 creates a design from parameters could be interested in seeing this.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Sounds interesting to me too :).

But we can have some technical stuff here too, I'll see what I can copy & paste ;).

Thx for letting us know here btw :thumbsup:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I've never really taken a high-resolution scan of varying just one parameter over all its possible values - .............. This means I don't really have a clear idea of what the optimisation landscape looks like on a detailed level, particularly in the newer lattices. This sort of insight might let me get past some of the intermittent stumbling blocks that harder optimisations have.

Hopefully as the blocks come back in, I should be able to build up a detailed graph - a cross-section across the optimisation of Linac900Ext10d2,.........

Huh?:confused:

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Stupid question, but since I'm running this manually and all... I need to reset my machine for updates that cropped up -- is that going to mess anything up?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Probably ... at least a little, depending how often the results are saved ...
I am waiting with that.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
6 of the 19 available. I didn't realize until later that the ones at the end has less than the ones at the beginning. I should have started from the beginning. My 8-core machine was chomping on those WUs. :D

stephenbrooks

Feb 3, 2004
The newest alpha client now has support for multi-monitor spanning in graphics mode. I'm hoping for some people to test it over the next few days and report any further bugs on the forums at stephenbrooks.org/forums

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
its 4.45

He noted that the graphics are now opengl. I wonder if we are moving towards a linux friendly app?

stephenbrooks

Feb 3, 2004
There's now an updated version of viewresults.exe as well (in the _alpha6 archive), which shouldn't flicker in Windows 7 like the old one did. These new builds are available at http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/hidden/scan/ and the scan test is explained in the forum thread.

Converting to OpenGL allows the Muon1 client to run under DarWine/WineBottler on Macs, I think. I'll be seeing if I can use these tools to make a Mac OS X package. (In Linux it already works under Wine, I think).