looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Have a big Best Buy gift card... need new gaming mouse for COD4. Considering:
* Razer Death Adder
* Razer Lachesis
* MS Habu
* Logitech G9

Opinions welcome... any others, as well?

Thx

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I love my Razer Diamondback. It will feel very strange at first..but after 2-3 hours of gameplay, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. Very solid and accurate movement.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
I have the G5 and Ive been having problems lately with the right mouse button. So I wanted to try out the 'new' style of mouses and grabbed a MS sidewinder. It was very weird at first mostly bc my fingers point straight instead of curved but to be honest the mouse has grown on me immensely.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
How much does having a "gaming mouse" actually affect performance? I've been using a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse for years - pretty generic - and it's worked fine.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
How much does having a "gaming mouse" actually affect performance? I've been using a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse for years - pretty generic - and it's worked fine.

It's different for everybody, and you'll never really know until you give one a try.

Mandin62

Mar 24, 2007
G5 all the way. it is the most comfortable mouse i have ever used. go in and try them all and pick the one that feels the best. Keep in mind that you can adjust how heavy or light the G5 is.

Having a gaming mouse is not crucial but you will notice a difference in comfort, precisions, and response. so yeah its pretty important.

checkout http://chill.mine.nu/mandintory/2

this is an article i wrote about the importance of a good mouse and mouse pad. Having a good combination of the two will make a difference for you in game.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I have noticed quite a difference in speed and accuracy of aiming/reacting to game situations...from standard generic mouse to some of the ones listed above...

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
While a G5 will not improve your FPS skills, it will help you if your mouse is already holding you back (even if you don't know it).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

Honestly it doesn't make that big of a difference to me. What I like about "gaming mice" is they usually have a bunch more buttons, and in the case of my G9 the shape and weight is customizable. A quality mouse just feels better imo. I can use any mouse and get the job done, but I prefer a "professional" :^P mouse to enhance my computing experience.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I prefer Logitech mice over Razor or MS so I'd go with the G9 ... I actually still like my old MX518 best though.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
My Death Adder is so much better than the Microsoft Intellimouse I had prior to it. The increased resolution and sensitivity absolutely destroy it. I can now move the mouse maybe a total of 2" and cover the entire screen... if I have sensitivity at max. Likewise, with sensitivity at the lowest setting, my mouse pad basically isn't enough room to move the pointer across the screen. I have one of the side buttons set so if I hold it down and scroll on the scroll wheel, the sensitivity will either go up or down, with a small window popping up on my display over whatever I am doing.
I can be in a game, running around the map at max setting, then get into a position where I need utter accuracy for distance, and then I can drop the sensitivity where moving the mouse slightly results in BARELY any movement on screen. Upping it up a little bit results in perfect target-tracking ability with little effort.

I haven't played an FPS personally with this mouse yet, as I got it recently and have been playing World in Conflict IF I play any games at all. These past couple of weeks I've had very little time to play games due to school, because I let myself get into this position.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Yea a gaming mouse isnt going to turn you from a negative to a positive K/d but some of the designs are what I liked in gaming mouse. Like someone said the G5 feels great. I personally miss my mx1000 and wish theyd use that design on a corded mouse but to all his own. Im getting along fine now with my new ms sidewinder. Mostly I like its size

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The Deathadder is a great mouse, I'd take it over the other mice (except for the Habu, I'm still looking for a cheapish one to replace the one I ran into the ground.)

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
love those buttons on the mx518 and newer that allow you to change DPI on the fly.

some programs and games don't seem to allow you to adjust the mouse sensitivity. pathetic. but not so bad with the mx518.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com

I stepped up to a G5 after using a wireless MS optical scroll mouse for several years. The accuracy and precision of the G5 blew me away. It's also amazing in photoshop. I'm a professional photographer, and being able to change DPI on the fly is priceless when working with photos.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Another vote for Logitech, I've been using their mouses (mice?) forever, nothing gets close

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I like the design of the Logitech 518. It's the most comfortable and form fitting one I've tried.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I had a MX310, which was a terrific mouse, but after switching into a larger screen and seeing how good newer mice can be I wanted more resolution.

I compared new mice, testing a friend's Habu and a Diamondback. I loved the rock solid main buttons and scroll wheel on Razers. Habu/DeathAdder style side buttons were better than Diamondback style, and I wanted to stick with a symmetric mouse. So I went with the Razer Lachesis. It might fatigue my hand just a tad more than the MX310, but of course that's personal ergonomics and everything else is top notch. I literally don't know what could be done to it to make it better. :)