New Motor Trend V6/stick shifts: Altima vs Mazda 6 vs Jetta

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Altima scored a 5.95 second 0-60 time but got trashed for cheap, thin paint that was orange peeled, a leather shift boot that detached, cheap/hard plastic interior that was cheesy, and it's gawd awful torque steer.

Mazda 6 was in the mid-6 second 0-60 range and was a pretty solid vehicle all around

Jetta was over 7-seconds 0-60, praised for its lucious interior, but knocked for its dated platform.

Jetta was cheapest, followed by 6 and Altima.

The Mazda 6 won of course, and I don't blame them :D

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Jetta is a in totally different size class. Much, much smaller than the Altima, and a little bit smaller than the 6. Why not use a Passat?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I love the 6. Been following it for a long time now. As of my next paycheck, I am saving up for a down payment on one over the summer.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I think the comparo was towards sporty driving in a certain price point rather than cars in the same class.

The Passat isn't as dynamic as the Jetta, so I guess that is why it was omitted.

Kudos to the Mazda6! Hopefully they'll come to Canada soon!

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Jetta is a in totally different size class. Much, much smaller than the Altima, and a little bit smaller than the 6. Why not use a Passat?

I agree, the Passat should have been in the running between the Altima and 6. Though, I don't think the Jetta platform is dated...??

Jun 18, 2000
Of course the Jetta was the cheapest, its in a lower market segment. I'm curious why they didn't test a Passat.

Edit: Heh, seems I should refresh the thread before I post. :) They should put the review up on their site. :frown:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Originally posted by: vi_edit

I agree, the Passat should have been in the running between the Altima and 6. Though, I don't think the Jetta platform is dated...??

The Passat is not a "performance machine." The Jetta V6/6-speed is the more sporty car, hence it was tested.