• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question new mother board

txsavoy

Jun 9, 2021
Old system took a dump, repeated failure to post. Old system had gigabyte 990fx mb with fx8350 cpu. I've went with an asus tuf gaming x570plus mb and ryzen 5 3600 cpu. Was using geforce gtx 950 video card, hope it wasn't the problem, I looked at some replacements. Holy crap, batman! Gotta be a rich man for most of them. Question is because the gtx card would sit right over the fan on the mb chipset if I put the card in the top slot, can I use the bottom pclex16 slot instead? Also haven't been keeping up on computer tech, what the heck is an M.2 socket for?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Second question first:

An M.2 socket is for a storage drive ("gum-stick") in the M.2 form-factor. They have different types, SATA and PCI-E (NVMe, usually, although there were a few PCI-E AHCI devices produced early-on in the M.2's history).

Generally, the type that you want is PCI-E NVMe. Since you have the X570 chipset and a Zen2 CPU or above, you can utilize a PCI-E 4.0 x4 drive, most likely, in the top slot. (Check your motherboard manual to be certain.)

The secondary PCI-E x16 slot is fine for a GPU, although realize that that slot may only be electrically x4, and may be wired through the chipset. But for a lower-end card like that, it shouldn't matter much, performance-wise.

ASK THE COMMUNITY