New military weapon that breaks the bones of everyone on a battlefield?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: housecat
I dont know if existing treaties would cover something like audio warfare.
And I'm not referring to the kids pumping 50cent rolling down your street. ;)

Its a little inhumane, but surely not as inhumane as bleeding to death from a bullet in your heart.
It might be painless, considering your skull would explode at the same time as the rest of your body.
So in that context, it'd be very humane.. at least on the same level as lethal injection. And we do that to citizens who break the law.

Might as well just use a neutron bomb then. Very quick, and it vaporizes the bodies too, so you're not left with dead people all over the place. Plus, we already have the technology for the neutron bombs - we wouldn't need to invest millions in researching a new way of killing people.
Maybe it could be a weapon for the next version of Quake or Doom - watch your opponent just slump to the ground, boneless. Or make genuine boneless chickens (yes, if they have this weapon, they need to have chickens in the game).

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Even if you could get it to work, as has been pointed out, there is variation. You stated that it's only "a few inches."
Try this. Take a glass that you can get to resonate by wetting your finger and running it around the rim. Now, add just a little water to it. Whoa... different frequency. With nearly identical glasses, and less variation in water depth than "a few inches", you can make entire scales and play beautiful music.

Also, that something resonates does not necessarily mean it's going to break.

Maluno

Mar 28, 2005
Yeah, right... you saw this on the X-files episode, right??? lol i saw that one too, where the us gov't was testing ulf antennaes and everyone near the testing site went crazy and their heads exploded, except the old deaf lady in the trailor. :D:D:D

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Maluno
Yeah, right... you saw this on the X-files episode, right??? lol i saw that one too, where the us gov't was testing ulf antennaes and everyone near the testing site went crazy and their heads exploded, except the old deaf lady in the trailor. :D:D:D

I'm not a sound expert but you seem to be going back to the glass breaking example. Bone isn't at all like glass. It consists of porous, flexible calcium deposits. Glass has no structure. Thus, it is inherently brittle. Bone is much thicker and it's much more flexible. Kinda like noise dampening material. Even if sound reaches the bone, the energy would be absorbed on the microscopic level due to the flexibility and porous nature. It may be possible to crack open the skull with a low pitch noise, but the dB rating on such a noise would have to be insane. At that rate, it'll probably screw with your bodily fluids and kill you that way before your bones broke. In essence, it'd be an incredibly impractical weapon.
There are already sound based weapons that just blast the subject with a directed, intense sound wave that effectively overpowers their sensory system. They also have microwave weapons that boil the water under the skin causing extreme pain and also overriding their sensory system. In my mind, these weapons are much more practical. They have the capacity to immobilize large groups of soldiers so that they can be captured and/or killed with little resistance.
Also, I believe on that X-Files episode, it wasn't their heads that exploded. It was their eardrums.

MrControversial

Jan 25, 2005
I've heard and read about this before.. that if you resonate a frequency equal to whatever your given object has, it will break or destroy that item.

So why does not the US military have a device that lets loose a sound frequency that is equal to human bone?
I'd guess this would be some very low "bass" (if you could call it that), that would be inaubible.

If this is possible, soldiers of the future would have to wear protective gear against sound frequencies.

As far as I know, every physical item has a frequency on which it exists.
This is why glass explodes when you reach a certain high pitch frequency.. you've all seen this on commercials ect.

Thinking about this practically, its a much better weapon than nuclear as that has obvious setbacks to the planet.

But if you told Fallujah through megaphones and leaflet drops, to leave if you offer no resistance.. then let loose a the "bone frequency" large enough to destroy those in the city only it would be very useful.

The humanity of such a method of attack is debatable.. but I'm curious if its even feasible with current technology.

ANTIWAR PEEPS NEED NOT APPLY TO RESPOND WITH THEIR OBJECTIONS TO MY COMMENTS.
UNFORTUNATELY WAR WILL ALWAYS BE PRESENT UNTIL ALL THE HUMANS ARE DEAD, OR THEIR BONES ARE EXPLODED. AND SOMEONE LIKE MYSELF WILL BE EXPLODING BONES SOON SOMEDAY REGARDLESS OF YOUR 1960'S LIFESTYLE.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. :thumbsup:
Nah, the ACLU will call it torture and inhumane.

mdchesne

Banned
Feb 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7
I dont know if existing treaties would cover something like audio warfare.
And I'm not referring to the kids pumping 50cent rolling down your street. ;)

Its a little inhumane, but surely not as inhumane as bleeding to death from a bullet in your heart.
It might be painless, considering your skull would explode at the same time as the rest of your body.
So in that context, it'd be very humane.. at least on the same level as lethal injection. And we do that to citizens who break the law.

Might as well just use a neutron bomb then. Very quick, and it vaporizes the bodies too, so you're not left with dead people all over the place. Plus, we already have the technology for the neutron bombs - we wouldn't need to invest millions in researching a new way of killing people.
Maybe it could be a weapon for the next version of Quake or Doom - watch your opponent just slump to the ground, boneless. Or make genuine boneless chickens (yes, if they have this weapon, they need to have chickens in the game).

i think you're confusing neutron bomb with thermonuclear. in order to "vaporize" something, intense heat would have to be applied. this is thermonuclear's field. but the neutron bomb actually passes highly-energized neutron particles trough materials. upon contacting living itssue, it breaks the dna and chemical structure of the living tissue thus causing death of the cell. NOT vaporization or even burning. if enough radiation hits enough of you, you simply collapse. dead bodies would be everywhere. but the buildings would be standing

oh, and it's not quick either, refer to this

nellienelson1

Oct 27, 2004
Originally posted by: element
short answer is that the resonance frequency is dependant on more than just the type of material (in this case bone) but also it's dimensions, which in each person is different. Not to mention it's being dampened by flesh and blood around it.

but bones do not have THAT much variation between human to human.
maybe a few inches of length at most difference between a taller man and shorter man.

yes but the difference is the size of bones in a human is quite big, such as if it did work (which i doubt) the you might get it to shatter all the femurs of the opposition, which is quite annoying for them and may stop them taking part in a battle, or if you get the fequency wrong then you may break 50,000 pinkie's which tho painful wouldnt stop a man from fighting quite as much as a femur being in pieces. massive sentence huh?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Well a neutron bomb would do the same thing minus the damage to all the other objects through sonic shockwaves.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I heard about a chicken farm that was suffering mysterious deaths of its livestock. Took a while to figure out the cause. Turns out the nearby factory was putting out 5 Hz sound waves which just so happened to be the resonant frequency of some chickens' skulls. They died from skull fractures. I think this happened in Australia.

tophman

Sep 8, 2003
:confused:

I'm surprised this hasn't come up.

It is the original use of soundwaves in battle.

Not that I am a religious zealot but I did attend some Catholic Schools growing up.

Our government obviously has ongoing experiments into soundwave applications. We do have a device I read of that is used for "discouraging" the speaker if he or she has a topic we don't want discussed over a bullhorn for example. It is one of many nonlethal devices.

Every time our government grabs onto a technology or invention after a little blurb is released in print, that is the last time you hear of it.

Chode Messiah

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2005
Currently the US has a sound frequency weapon used for getting terrorists in caves, because it uses he rock to amplify its signal throughout the cave. It is less than lethal, buut the US military says its current system can be used lethally. The weapon is normally transported in a helicopter or humvee. Also, the weapon, when used, creates intense migraines and abdominal pain, vomiting, and extended loss of all motor functions

Biggerhammer

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2003
I'd think it would be a lot more practical to find the resonant frequency of an AK-47 or whatever weapon the bad guy of the day uses, and buzz that. Secondary sonics would make a loud drone that our friendly US troops could shoot at. The weapons would have a much smaller frequency range to concentrate on, and in most cases would ahve no vibration-damping wrapper.

Changlinn

Aug 24, 2000
The decibel levels on this kind of weapon would have to be so high the power required would probably be as much as is released in a nuclear bomb, and it would kill everything and destroy objects close to the blast, and there would be a zone where it would probably just disorientate etc. You would have to range the frequencies to effect every persons different bone structures, they do differ a lot more than you realise, I read a study a few years ago on push bike riders, off road ones had denser yet more flexible bones, due to the vibrations causing the body to shore up the bones due to constant vibration, road riders had less dense, rigid bones, to give them the power for up hills etc.
America and other countries have used a device that does use sound as a weapon, but its effeciency is limited, so it tends to be used just for small areas, a flash-bang grenade, the flash is supposed to blind, the band, is supposed to deafen, disorientat and can even cause loss of conciousnes and vomiting, perfect for swat.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Chode Messiah
Currently the US has a sound frequency weapon used for getting terrorists in caves, because it uses he rock to amplify its signal throughout the cave. It is less than lethal, buut the US military says its current system can be used lethally. The weapon is normally transported in a helicopter or humvee. Also, the weapon, when used, creates intense migraines and abdominal pain, vomiting, and extended loss of all motor functions

It uses only high volume of sound (at some carefully choosen frequencies). It affects the internal ear so the one exposed to it will have equilibrium problems. There are other parts of the body affected

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Biggerhammer
I'd think it would be a lot more practical to find the resonant frequency of an AK-47 or whatever weapon the bad guy of the day uses, and buzz that. Secondary sonics would make a loud drone that our friendly US troops could shoot at. The weapons would have a much smaller frequency range to concentrate on, and in most cases would ahve no vibration-damping wrapper.

Good luck creating enough sound waves to break a metal pipe (or rifle barrel)

Biggerhammer

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2003
Not break- just make it resonate secondary sonics. If friendly troops know where unfriendly troops are, but the unfriendlies are still in the dark, it'll be rather a short battle.

If we could project enough energy to break a steel gunbarrel, it wouldn't make sense to use it for such a limited purpose.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
You need to use high frequency (above audible level) to have a non-audible generator (an audible generator would disclose its location). But ultrasounds are absorbed in the air, so it will have quite a small range.
However, being able to detect the position of any AK47 on a 25 meter radius could make a huge tactical advantage

ummagumma

May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
It's a lot easier to just shoot someone.

haha!!

I suppose big microwave transmitters would/could do some damage too. or at least make everyone braindead.

or a sharp, pointed stick? ....how about bananas? we haven't done bananas yet, have we?

aj58

May 5, 2005
I've heard and read about this before.. that if you resonate a frequency equal to whatever your given object has, it will break or destroy that item.

So why does not the US military have a device that lets loose a sound frequency that is equal to human bone?
I'd guess this would be some very low "bass" (if you could call it that), that would be inaubible.

If this is possible, soldiers of the future would have to wear protective gear against sound frequencies.

As far as I know, every physical item has a frequency on which it exists.
This is why glass explodes when you reach a certain high pitch frequency.. you've all seen this on commercials ect.

Thinking about this practically, its a much better weapon than nuclear as that has obvious setbacks to the planet.

But if you told Fallujah through megaphones and leaflet drops, to leave if you offer no resistance.. then let loose a the "bone frequency" large enough to destroy those in the city only it would be very useful.

The humanity of such a method of attack is debatable.. but I'm curious if its even feasible with current technology.

ANTIWAR PEEPS NEED NOT APPLY TO RESPOND WITH THEIR OBJECTIONS TO MY COMMENTS.
UNFORTUNATELY WAR WILL ALWAYS BE PRESENT UNTIL ALL THE HUMANS ARE DEAD, OR THEIR BONES ARE EXPLODED. AND SOMEONE LIKE MYSELF WILL BE EXPLODING BONES SOON SOMEDAY REGARDLESS OF YOUR 1960'S LIFESTYLE.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. :thumbsup:

This would be an equivalent to the Sonic Tanks in Red Alert 2 or 3 I forget which, but using sonic waves to damage tanks, buildings, people. Could be possible, but unlikely for the US Govt. to use. More like something North Korea would use :)