New midrange system

dawgtuff

Feb 17, 2006
I'm looking to build a new system. I'm a gamer and don't multitask or have a lot of HDD's or other stuff to sap my PSU. Here's what I have: Asus A8N-e ,Opty 144 @2.6, 2gb Corsair DDR @ 2-3-3-8 1T,Antec Sp-450 PSU, XP Pro-3,EVGA 7600GT vid card.
The games that I play are futuristic single shooter space sims ( DarkStarOne,Wing Commander,etc),however, these type of games aren't being produced much now. I'd like to build a new system on the chance that my type of games will come back,here's my selection so far: 8400 Wolfdale(very OC able),Asus mobo, 4gb DDR2, 4850/70 vid card, PSU.....? , Suntech copper pipe 120mm CPU cooler,Antec open 180 case.2-Viewsonic LCD 21" full screen monitors @1400x1055. **** keep in mind I want to keep these momitors.
Would it be better to upgrade my vid card to a 4830/50 since my PSU can handle that ? Or, hope that better space sim games come around?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Honestly if you arnt playing crysis or any other games with leading edge Graphics I would get a 4830 and be done with it. You can always upgrade your CPU/RAM later and from the sounds of it a 4830 will cover what you want to do.

Apr 20, 2008
+1

Another vote on the 4830. it overclocks nicely and plays all games decently well. Don't forget about the amazing price it is now.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: dawgtuffAntec Sp-450 PSU

You should replace that, those PSUs have bad capacitors. Antec Earthwatts or Corsair would be good choices.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: theAnimal
Originally posted by: dawgtuffAntec Sp-450 PSU

You should replace that, those PSUs have bad capacitors. Antec Earthwatts or Corsair would be good choices.

+1 for Antec Earthwatts (Which I own and love) or Corsair. Another good brand is PC Power and Cooling. The Antec should give you the most for your money most of the time, except when NewEgg and other retailers have sales or specials on the other two.

I bought mine at Best Buy because they were only $10 more than the egg and I got it the same day.

dawgtuff

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for ya'lls input. I was unaware of the 4770. Reviews said it's better than a 4830 and almost on par with the 4850. It runs cool and efficient and maybe a good overclocker. All the reviews said the 4770 was a stock board. I'm going to wait until OC'd editions come out and better drivers/OC tools are available. I wish ATI had spent another $5 and made it 256bit.It looks like my Antec Sp-450 will handle it, if not, I'll get a better PSU to use, and put it into my next build Thanks again...dawgtuff.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: dawgtuff
Thanks for ya'lls input. I was unaware of the 4770. Reviews said it's better than a 4830 and almost on par with the 4850. It runs cool and efficient and maybe a good overclocker. All the reviews said the 4770 was a stock board. I'm going to wait until OC'd editions come out and better drivers/OC tools are available. I wish ATI had spent another $5 and made it 256bit.It looks like my Antec Sp-450 will handle it, if not, I'll get a better PSU to use, and put it into my next build Thanks again...dawgtuff.

There are OC'd versions out if you look and some people have them @ 1ghz/1.2ghz memory certainly an excellent clocker (don't worry about drivers/ OC tools, Overdrive is all you need and thats built into the Catalyst driver). Also, if you decide to build a budget rig you might aswell go for a triple/quad CPU as theyre so cheap now and any future games you play will make increasing use of more cores. A PII X3 BE 720 clocks well and can be had for $145 @ newegg (probably a few combo deals too).