New Mexico declares gay marriage bans unconstitutional

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I didn't see this posted yet, but the Supreme Court of New Mexico struck down the states gay marriage ban. Gay marriage opponents vow to seek state constitutional amendment.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/19/new-mexico-gay-marriage/4126659/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/192573632/New-Mexico-Supreme-Court-decision-legalizing-same-sex-marriage

Basically this is the 17th state(DC makes 18 but its not a state) to legalize same sex marriage. The Republicans in the state aren't likely to get an amendment passed anytime soon(if ever).

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's nice to see us not giving up the fight for civil rights. Sadly I don't know if my state will ever allow civil rights in my lifetime.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's nice to see us not giving up the fight for civil rights. Sadly I don't know if my state will ever allow civil rights in my lifetime.

I know the feeling. I live in Kansas and I don't see it changing absent a ruling at the Federal level that such bans are flat out illegal.

It's also unfortunate that before the ink is dry on the ruling there is a group of citizens looking to take away their fellow citizen's civil rights.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Yet another state surrenders to an immoral lifestyle.

Polygamy and Polyandry will not be far behind.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
We can hope that ALL marriages are treated equally, and not just a select few.

If a marriage is considered to be a legal contract between consenting adults (who thus can sign into a contract), then yes. Hopefully all marriages will someday be treated equally, regardless of what actual form they take.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
When it comes down to it, the whole hissy fit over SS marriage begins and ends after any state finally legalizes SS marriage.
After SS marriage is allowed, granted, legalized in a state, what follows is an ear deafening silence because.... no one is truly affected except the two SS people seeking to go thru that ceremony called marriage, followed by their simple ordinary everyday life of being married.

So many get soooo upset over the issue, waste millions of money given to fight against or in support of, talk endlessly on tv and radio, pound fists rant and lose sleep over.
But in all reality, getting married is no more exciting than getting your drivers license renewed at the local DMV station.

Well, the ceremony is exciting for the two people and for the families for that special day, but beyond that? It is just a marriage ceremony. Something most private and memorable via pictures, photo albums, preserved wedding cake in the freezer, a gold ring.

An ear deafening silence after the fact.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
When it comes down to it, the whole hissy fit over SS marriage begins and ends after any state finally legalizes SS marriage.
After SS marriage is allowed, granted, legalized in a state, what follows is an ear deafening silence because.... no one is truly affected except the two SS people seeking to go thru that ceremony called marriage, followed by their simple ordinary everyday life of being married.

So many get soooo upset over the issue, waste millions of money given to fight against or in support of, talk endlessly on tv and radio, pound fists rant and lose sleep over.
But in all reality, getting married is no more exciting than getting your drivers license renewed at the local DMV station.

Well, the ceremony is exciting for the two people and for the families for that special day, but beyond that? It is just a marriage ceremony. Something most private and memorable via pictures, photo albums, preserved wedding cake in the freezer, a gold ring.

what a lie.

marriage is about having other accept it. by its definition its forcing others to accept your union.

its a bullshit lie to say that two gays getting married has no impact on others.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Marriage has always been between man and woman and was created for the procreation of mankind. Our whole society is built on this, if the gays want their union, good for them but call it something else. Why the rest of mankind must accept change for the such of the few is beyond me. SS union is not the same, never will be no matter how much gays cry over it or think it is.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Blatant lie. In fact we had a 300+ post thread proving what you say to be a lie.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
If a marriage is considered to be a legal contract between consenting adults (who thus can sign into a contract), then yes. Hopefully all marriages will someday be treated equally, regardless of what actual form they take.

If I want to marry a corporation how does it affect you?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
what a lie.

marriage is about having other accept it. by its definition its forcing others to accept your union.

its a bullshit lie to say that two gays getting married has no impact on others.

The thought you can marry and breed with government help is icky and makes me sick. The fact that you can marry makes me puke and I will destroy any such relationship you have if I can. Your right to marry needs to be exterminated. Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
what a lie.

Yep, but don't take our word for it. Take the word of a same-sex marriage advocate:
But part of it was inherent in the battle for marriage, which, after all, takes its very meaning from the quest for public recognition of a couple’s union. The whole point of a wedding, from a cultural perspective, is for a couple to invite their community to recognize and help enforce—indeed to approve of—their union as a positive thing worth supporting. There has always been something a bit disingenuous about gay rights activists insisting that they deserve marital recognition from their society because their relationships are nobody’s business but their own. Marriage is all about making your relationship other people’s business.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/...nd_people_aren_t_as_gay_friendly_as_they.html

Feb 6, 2007
Marriage has always been between man and woman

Except in places that have legalized gay marriage or polygamous marriages.

and was created for the procreation of mankind.

Then why isn't procreation a requirement of modern marriage?

Our whole society is built on this

If marriage is at the foundation of society, why isn't it mandatory?

if the gays want their union, good for them but call it something else.

If it's going to be the same as marriage, why does the name matter?

Why the rest of mankind must accept change for the such of the few is beyond me. SS union is not the same, never will be no matter how much gays cry over it or think it is.

This is, verbatim, the argument that was used in support of anti-miscegenation laws that prevented blacks and whites from marrying. Are you opposed to interracial marriages?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
If marriage is at the foundation of society, why isn't it mandatory?

Because the purpose of marriage is to CONTROL procreation.

Same-sex unions being inherently unable to procreate have no need of control and are therefore outside the purview of marriage.

This is, verbatim, the argument that was used in support of anti-miscegenation laws that prevented blacks and whites from marrying. Are you opposed to interracial marriages?

The problem with your argument is that there is no fundamental difference between a black person and a white person, contrary to what opponents of interracial marriage believed. Whereas there are clear fundamental differences between men and women.

In short the only way your argument makes sense is if you are a racist and believe whites and blacks are fundamentally different.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal1980
what a lie.

Yep, but don't take our word for it. Take the word of a same-sex marriage advocate:

Quote:
But part of it was inherent in the battle for marriage, which, after all, takes its very meaning from the quest for public recognition of a couple’s union. The whole point of a wedding, from a cultural perspective, is for a couple to invite their community to recognize and help enforce—indeed to approve of—their union as a positive thing worth supporting. There has always been something a bit disingenuous about gay rights activists insisting that they deserve marital recognition from their society because their relationships are nobody’s business but their own. Marriage is all about making your relationship other people’s business.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...y_as_they.html

No it isn't. It is about the right anybody should have to declare the sanctity of their marriage publically to the invited audience as any strait couple can. Those who want to support that right will attend the wedding if invited and those who don't can stay away. Rights are being extended and none are being taken away. You are free to remain the asshole that you are. If you want to be offended welcome to your pain.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Wow. What should have been a celebratory thread brought out all the anti-gay trolls. What a surprise. How far AT has been allowed (by those in power) to fall.

Kudos to NM!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Yet another state surrenders to an immoral lifestyle.

Polygamy and Polyandry will not be far behind.

"Immoral"? Who are you to tell anyone what is "immoral"? That word doesn't mean shit because not everyone buys into the judeo-christian bullshit.