New Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Magic Trackpad 2 Item Price:$129.00 Quantity (Magic Trackpad 2)
Line Price:$129.00

Magic Mouse 2 Item Price:$79.00 Quantity (Magic Mouse 2)
Line Price:$79.00

Magic Keyboard - US English Item Price:$99.00 Quantity (Magic Keyboard - US English)
Line Price:$99.00

Total cost breakdown
Bag Subtotal $307.00
Free Shipping $0.00
Estimated Tax $21.49
Total $328.49
Ouch

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Love the tech, but will wait till I can at least buy them online and not pay taxes/shipping on top of the prices.

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
What a rip. And forcing you to go el crapitan as well.

Everyone is going Capitan anyway. Plus it's a free upgrade that runs fine on older Macs. Don't really see an issue with that.

I do have a problem with Magic Mouse ergonomics though, as I find it hideous to hold compared to the gaming mouse I use on my PC. Some people like it apparently. Others even think lack of ergonomics is a feature...

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
The issue is "why"? Why does it need el whatever?

Because it's the latest version of the operating system and older systems don't have the driver support? No one's forcing you to ditch your Dell keyboard/mouse combo.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Everyone is going Capitan anyway. Plus it's a free upgrade that runs fine on older Macs. Don't really see an issue with that.

I do have a problem with Magic Mouse ergonomics though, as I find it hideous to hold compared to the gaming mouse I use on my PC. Some people like it apparently. Others even think lack of ergonomics is a feature...

I have a Magic Mouse, the ergonomics are terrible. I do like the trackpad

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Because it's the latest version of the operating system and older systems don't have the driver support? No one's forcing you to ditch your Dell keyboard/mouse combo.

Its standard BT tech. I just want to know why and you just give the blind apple response, "it the latest".

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'll be upgrading because current KB died, and I want a trackpad that's sensitive all over, current gen is nice, but force touch and no dead spots would be nice

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Its standard BT tech. I just want to know why and you just give the blind apple response, "it the latest".

It's a touch more than just a standard bluetooth HID. There is most certainly software support needed and Apple doesn't really tend to go back and make changes to previous versions of the OS, which is how it ships those.

I'd wager someone will figure out how to pull out the required kext/software/whatever and get it running in 10.10.

That said, why don't you like 10.11?

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Oh dear, the charge port for the Magic Mouse is on the bottom. Who's stupid idea was that? :colbert:

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Do you want it on the top? There's no other flat area to choose - it's top or bottom. It charges up to 8 or 9 hours of battery life in 2 minutes if you accidentally let it die.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Teardown funtime. Apple has gone glue happy again.

Keyboard
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+Keyboard+Teardown/50995

Mouse
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+Mouse+2+Teardown/51058

Trackpad
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+Trackpad+2+Teardown/51032

Do you want it on the top? There's no other flat area to choose - it's top or bottom. It charges up to 8 or 9 hours of battery life in 2 minutes if you accidentally let it die.

Why not put it on the front or back like a normal person? It's not like Apple hasn't put a charging port on a curved surface before.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Oh dear, the charge port for the Magic Mouse is on the bottom. Who's stupid idea was that? :colbert:

They sould have gone wireless charging. Like, making the trackpad a wireless charger too. Plug trackpad in usb or adapter, lay mouse on trackpad, bam, charge. That would be cool.

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
Also, why does Apple have the number pad and a comfortably large keyboard? It's a mystery to me why their wireless keyboard is more cramped than most laptop ones.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
No, the stupidest idea was sticking a pen in the ass of an ipadPro to charge.

Want to guess how many broken connector that'll cause?

They need to sell a female lightning connector to charge the pen.

I pre ordered the keyboard and trackpad from B&H Photo, no tax, free shipping. Would wait for a refurb but I got current keyboard wet and its hosed.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
No, the stupidest idea was sticking a pen in the ass of an ipadPro to charge.

Samsung did the stylus right with the S Pen. It never needs to be charged. In fact, it has no batteries at all. The stylus gets all its power inductively through the tablet. Cheap to manufacture, very convenient to use, and no parts to wear out. It's a really brilliant design. I suppose Samsung has a patent on it though, which is why Apple went with a more archaic solution.

The male charge end on the Pencil is just dumb. Yes, it takes only 15 seconds to top it up to 30min of use. But I agree it's easy to break and you can't charge it and your Pro at the same time. There will probably be some accessory company that comes up with an external charge cable for it. I suppose you could make your own too by re-purposing the lightning connector on a busted iPhone.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Any keyboard that has shorter key travel than the old wireless keyboard is going to be garbage. The new Macbook's keyboard is unbearable (he said as he typed this message on his expensive wired, mechanical keyboard)

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I've been using the MacBook exclusively for months, I like the keyboard quite a bit, looking forward to the new wireless model.