New Logitech G5 $50.00+Tax

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dajeepster
what's the difference between the old and new?... besides being old and new ;)</end quote></div>

ok... there's two buttons on the side instead of just one... other than that... what's the difference?... $15 dollars for another button seems kind of high (if I were to buy it from amazon )... i've got the older g5 (one button on the side)... it's great for gaming... imho... I play battlefield 2142 with it all the time

whitelight

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
the forward button is priceless, IMO. i've only used mice with two thumb buttons since the mx700.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dajeepster
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dajeepster
what's the difference between the old and new?... besides being old and new ;)</end quote></div>

ok... there's two buttons on the side instead of just one... other than that... what's the difference?... $15 dollars for another button seems kind of high (if I were to buy it from amazon )... i've got the older g5 (one button on the side)... it's great for gaming... imho... I play battlefield 2142 with it all the time

Just got the old g5 for 28$ shipped from dell a few months ago. it wasnt worth it for the front button.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: whitelight
the forward button is priceless, IMO. i've only used mice with two thumb buttons since the mx700.</end quote></div>
um ok lol.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Lame that they made those mice without the 2 buttons to begin with, especially at the prices we pay for these things!

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I don't know how one can use the forward button on that mouse, you would have to reposition hand each time to press it. Its like a full inch further than thumb can reach! lol

Would be useless

gi0rgi0

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
2 buttons on the side is the reason i still have my 510 or i wouldve gotten a g5.
But im actually waiting for the g7 with 2 buttons.

Treyshadow

Jan 31, 2000
Yeah for me the 2nd button was totally worthwhile. It is a complete matter of opinion, and handling style. I would pay the extra for the 2nd button.

I am also waiting for the 2 button G7 (as I have 2 1 button ones sitting on the sidelines while my 2 thumb button MX518 is on the court).

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Though the G7 and older G5 have only one thumb buttons, you get two buttons with the right/left tilt mouse wheel which the MX518 and older mice don't have.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Though the G7 and older G5 have only one thumb buttons, you get two buttons with the right/left tilt mouse wheel which the MX518 and older mice don't have.

This is what I found out. I got the "old" G5 when it was on sale recently and just used the tilt wheel as two extra buttons to make up for the lack of the second button. Personally I don't like two buttons on one side, my all time favorite gaming mouse was the old MS intillimouse as it has one button on each side. I find it is much easier to use my ring finger to press in on the right button as opposed to moving my thumb farther forward.

Anyway, the "new" G5 still has the tilt wheel so you get even another button which could be helpful. I'm not willing to buy another new mouse just to get that though as they only other difference was the reporting rate and that has been updated to match with the latest software.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
The old G5 was a rock solid mouse, even though it's too heavy to my liking without any weight(using razor diamondback currently, my copperhead crapped out last night, button 2 failed). Also the wheel button was a joke. You have to really be careful to press it without moving the wheel up or down. For this reason alone I would suggest to get the newer version.

From the sound of the review, it seems that they fixed the wheel button problem. But it seems like the weight stayed, cuz they looked exactly the same.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
The second button on the newer G5 is almost useless. To use it, I have to resposition my hand, making the mouse useless during this time.