New Law Lets Theaters Search Moviegoers For Cameras

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
25,156
10,158
146
link
Enforcement is always a last resort, but we hope this will be a deterrent,'' said Vans Stevenson, senior vice president for the Motion Picture Association of America.
Yet another useless and invasive law.
 

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
13,136
1
0
Great ... more unnecessary and intrusive laws designed by the big corporations and pushed through by the politicians bought and paid for by major contributions. What's next? MP3 player confiscations to determine if there are illegal tracks stored onboard? Gas station attendants arresting Toyota Prius drivers for not burning enough gas and making gas more expensive for everyone else.

Oh brother.
 

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
54,894
46
91
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Great ... more unnecessary and intrusive laws designed by the big corporations and pushed through by the politicians bought and paid for by major contributions. What's next? MP3 player confiscations to determine if there are illegal tracks stored onboard? Gas station attendants arresting Toyota Prius drivers for not burning enough gas and making gas more expensive for everyone else.

Oh brother.
What's the matter DM? This is great, all part of the New American Dream.

"more unnecessary and intrusive laws designed by the big corporations and pushed through by the politicians bought and paid for by major contributions"

That can't be all the AT experts said that isn't happening, you must ne delusional, so sad :(


 

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
1,536
0
0
its not permitted to bring cameras to theatres anyway. i guess they finally got tired of pirates and now theyre doing something about it.

this is no more an intrusive law than those that require you to be screened when going into an airport, a concert, or a sports game.

and besides, they arent invading on your privacy when youre in public.
 

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
1,652
0
0
Originally posted by: Genesys
its not permitted to bring cameras to theatres anyway. i guess they finally got tired of pirates and now theyre doing something about it.

this is no more an intrusive law than those that require you to be screened when going into an airport, a concert, or a sports game.

and besides, they arent invading on your privacy when youre in public.
Screening at an airport for weapons is just a bit different than screening for camcorders at a theatre.

But, I don't see why this needs to be made into law. A movie theatre is a private business and if they require you to be searched to enter it, then that's their perogative. At many concerts, audiences are screened to make sure they don't have camcorders or audio recorders. And it says so right on the ticket.
 

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
69,428
4,812
126
Well, not a terrible idea, but most Camera-in-theatre videos I've seen come from Asia.
 

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
1,617
30
91
I guess in a few months Blockbuster will have an "butt crack search law" to make sure no one smuggles any DVD's out of the store.
 

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
1,536
0
0
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Originally posted by: Genesys
its not permitted to bring cameras to theatres anyway. i guess they finally got tired of pirates and now theyre doing something about it.

this is no more an intrusive law than those that require you to be screened when going into an airport, a concert, or a sports game.

and besides, they arent invading on your privacy when youre in public.
Screening at an airport for weapons is just a bit different than screening for camcorders at a theatre.

But, I don't see why this needs to be made into law. A movie theatre is a private business and if they require you to be searched to enter it, then that's their perogative. At many concerts, audiences are screened to make sure they don't have camcorders or audio recorders. And it says so right on the ticket.
i do agree that it seems a little over the top to make this a federal law, but its also not as big a deal as some here are trying to make it into.

this is just another example of govt excess [something all govts are guilty of].
 

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
3,809
0
0
Movie theatres are private companies.. they can do whatever they damn well please.. don't like it? Don't go there.
 

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
5,446
0
76
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Ohio passed a similar Law as California. 5 years Jail time and $250,000 fine if caught with a Camera in a Theater.

Marshall Law baby, yeah
How is that bunker coming Dave?
 

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
3,637
0
0
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: sandorski
Well, not a terrible idea, but most Camera-in-theatre videos I've seen come from Asia.
Or from employees;)

CkG

And a friend told me the quality sucks and the sound is so bab it is better to just wait for the DVD to be released.
 

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
1,617
30
91
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Ohio passed a similar Law as California. 5 years Jail time and $250,000 fine if caught with a Camera in a Theater.

Marshall Law baby, yeah

Actually, if it was 5 years jail time and $250,000 fine if caught with a Cellular Phone in a theater, I'd have to give a thumbs up for the draconian legislation. ;) That way, half the people in the theater would be in jail, and I could grab a good seat with peace and quiet. :)

 

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
17,134
38
91
Perhaps if people stopped breaking the law, there would be no need for additional laws.
 

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
5,340
1
0
Originally posted by: dualsmp
I guess in a few months Blockbuster will have an "butt crack search law" to make sure no one smuggles any DVD's out of the store.
That's how they'll get the material for new releases.
 

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
1,309
0
0
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: sandorski
Well, not a terrible idea, but most Camera-in-theatre videos I've seen come from Asia.
Or from employees;)

CkG

And a friend told me the quality sucks and the sound is so bab it is better to just wait for the DVD to be released.
Are you serious? Most DivX and MPEG movies aren't that bad....

Zephyr
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY