New laptop - Upgrade Windows 10 home to Pro through MS Store

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Does it actually upgrade the current OS or do I have to do a clean install? Laptop was purchased from the MS store so the out of the box install is fine since it has no bloatware added. According to MS I just enter the new product key to start the upgrade, is that all there is to it?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Thanks but I saw that write up already but in the comments someone said that when they did that it said invalid product key. I figured the safest thing was to see if anyone here had done it on a system that came with Windows 10 home installed.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

I don't know if this article will help, but it seems pretty clear that you can download it from the store and it will give you a key necessary to upgrade the license to a pro. Once you run the upgrade, you can leave your install as-is, and you will receive the upgraded features. Future installs with that hardware signature should now be pro as well. Just select pro with the media creation tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linflas

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

I don't know if this article will help, but it seems pretty clear that you can download it from the store and it will give you a key necessary to upgrade the license to a pro. Once you run the upgrade, you can leave your install as-is, and you will receive the upgraded features. Future installs with that hardware signature should now be pro as well. Just select pro with the media creation tool.
Perfect! Thanks much.