New Laptop, Some Windows 10 Questions

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
New laptop arrived, (Dell XPS 13), and as I always do, first order of business is a clean install of the OS. With a 256GB drive, and with the bloatware that the manufacturers include, it's a must in my opinion.
After the install of Windows 10 I'm looking at a learning curve. Been using 7 all these years and am quite pleased with it. Recommendations on ways to increase speed, performance, security. Any "must haves" or "must deletes"?
I recall a website, www.BlackViper.com that offers tutorials on services that can be safely shut down.
Thank you in advance!

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
The link you posted has a Windows 10 section going over Win10 versions of the same types of tweaks. You answered your own question :p

That being said, modern versions of Windows need a whole lot less tweaking than the old 98/XP days. By and large unless there's something specific you're trying to accomplish by disabling certain services you can just leave it be and you won't notice any sort of difference.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
. . .
That being said, modern versions of Windows need a whole lot less tweaking than the old 98/XP days. By and large unless there's something specific you're trying to accomplish by disabling certain services you can just leave it be and you won't notice any sort of difference.
Yeah, you're probably correct. I'm stuck in yesteryear with 98 and XP, I suppose, when desktops were run with 2GB RAM.:cool:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Other than tweaking some options to my taste, I leave Win10 pretty much alone. No tweaks to the services since I find them to be pointless.

monkstah

Feb 21, 2007
I have an XPS 13, and Windows 10 on it. Just so you know the NIC driver for Win10 is wonky. So you might want to keep it backdated.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
I have an XPS 13, and Windows 10 on it. Just so you know the NIC driver for Win10 is wonky. So you might want to keep it backdated.
Monkstah, how do you like the laptop? I was swayed by the many positive reviews, and I scored what I think was a good deal on Cyber Monday.
Which NIC driver is wonky, by the way?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The main thing I do is go into Settings -> Privacy. Going through each section and setting them for what you use will limit background processes that go on without your knowledge, and apps that may interfere with your privacy, if you are worried about that sort of thing.