New laptop, screen corruption starting windows

cmf21

Oct 10, 1999
Neighbor bought a new laptop this week from BestBuy. A Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4030. She wanted the garbage that BestBuy installed removed and some files, etc installed off her old computer. I ended up reinstalling windows 7 and her files. Everything works fine but when you start the laptop and it's loading windows, the screen goes crazy and has horizontal lines that flash across the screen. I didn't notice the problem when she gave me the computer so I tried installing the latest Ati 4250 drivers but the problem still exist. I uninstall the drivers, has same problem so I formated the computer again but still have the same problem.

Any ideas? I feel bad giving her laptop back but everything else seems to work just fine.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've had that problem on two different Windows 7 HP 64-bit laptops. It appears to be a bug in win7 or perhaps the video drivers. It only happens on the startup screen for windows, correct?

cmf21

Oct 10, 1999
yes. just on the startup screen after the starting windows message goes away

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Make sure to install the latest graphics card drives from Toshiba, not from AMD / ATi. Some vendors (ASUS in particular, in my experiences) have one or two drivers that work, and the latest and greatest cause artifacts and other problems.