New laptop machines: Check your BIOS and tell me who can disable integrated graphics

Cairn

Mar 13, 2011
I'm looking to buy a new laptop with some decent hardware, but apparently many, it seems, refuses to allow us to disable the integrated graphics so that we can rely entirely upon our graphics card.

I am sick and tired of this run-around game laptop manufacturer's like to play where they tell me something that isn't true about their machine. I can no longer trust laptop vendors to be honest about their machines, nor can I trust that they even know what they're talking about half of the time.

So, if you wouldn't mind, if you have the option to disable integrated graphics FROM THE BIOS, please let me know. I'm tired of using that sometimes working sometimes not Nvidia control panel to handle the use of which graphics processor.

If you have over-clocking options on your laptop's BIOS, that would make for a significant bonus in my consideration of which laptop to buy.

Thank you.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Virtually all laptops use Optimus/Enduro technology, which involves letting the iGPU do desktop workloads while saving the dGPU for games and heavy workloads. As such the dGPU has no direct connection to the display and must go through the iGPU, meaning the iGPU cannot be shut down.

You don't need to disable the iGPU nor do you want to disable the iGPU. These laptops are configured this way for a reason: it maximizes power savings while still allowing you to tap into the full performance of a dGPU when you need it.:)