New laptop, expected better framerates in Metro 2033

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Recently picked up a laptop with these specs

-- Alienware M18x Laptop
-- Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
-- 500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
-- 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (4 DIMMs)
-- 18.4 inch Wide FHD (1920 x 1080) WLED Display
-- Processor: Intel Core i7 2820QM 2.3GHz (3.4GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)
-- 500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
-- Dual 1.5 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

From here

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-460M.33612.0.html

on High, it states a single 460M should get an average of 29fps

and from here

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-460M-SLI.39270.0.html

it states the 460M SLI (what I have) should get 52fps. However, on High, I'm seeing around 32fps

I have to admit to being an SLI n00b. I've been here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...lly-working-your-game-what-do-if-its-not.html

do I really need nHancer? If the nVidia control panel says SLI is enabled, how do I know if a game is taking advantage of it?

trollolo

Aug 30, 2011
is this a joke? i didn't know anyone actually bought alienwares, let alone gaming laptops.

edit: oh man, you got me. nice troll

That'll be enough out of you
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
JM is not a troll, he's an old-timer here.

As for the problem, yeah sounds like something is outta whack. What driver version do you have?

I've used this site many times in the past :

http://laptopvideo2go.com/

It lets you get the latest nvidia driver builds unlocked so you can use them on mobile GPU configurations.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
is this a joke? i didn't know anyone actually bought alienwares, let alone gaming laptops.

edit: oh man, you got me. nice troll

??? He's not trolling. Plenty of people buy gaming laptops. Take it easy.

What in-game settings are you running at and at what resolution are running the game at? 460M SLI will likely have some bandwidth limitations at 1080p Metro2003, and Metro2033 will bring most GPU's to it's knees anyways.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
^^ Yeah when you want an SLI notebook the choices are pretty thin as opposed to the much larger number of vendors that have decent single GPU setups.

The 460M is not really all that close to a desktop 460, but it seems like some settings should be possible to tweak to get it decently playable, even if a number of settings are backed off from the max to accomplish it.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Here, look at anand's benchmarks with Metro2033 and the gtx460m.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4629/toshiba-qosmio-x775-toshibas-gamer-grows-up/4

As you'll see, the gtx460m scores 31.2 fps @ 1600x900 resolution and high preset in-game.
Moving up to very high with 4x AA @1920x1080 resolution, the gtx460 buckles and only gets 12.1 fps.

If you are running the game at 1920x1080, I think the frame rates you are seeing are quite normal.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
What's so weird about gaming on a laptop? I keep it next to my recliner so I'm hanging out w/ my family while I game, and can easily hop on and off of it at my leisure.

I know back in the day you had to go to laptopvideo2go but now when you go to nvidia's website you can get mobile drivers, I currently have 280.26 installed

I am trying to run it at 1080p on high (not ultra) and when I kicked it down to DX10 I get closer to 50-53fps. I turned on the "show SLI visual indicator" option in the nvidia control panel, and it puts a huge translucent column in the game that has a little green horizontal mark that grows up and down all the way to the top and bottom of the screen, does that mean the game is using SLI?

my canadian bought two evga cards and is running them SLI in his desktop and it came with an app, EVGA Precision, that presents an overlay on all games that shows you the fps, % CPU used, etc. while gaming. Is there any sort of generic thing like that? I know fraps will give you fps, but none of the other fancy stuff

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
my canadian bought two evga cards and is running them SLI in his desktop and it came with an app, EVGA Precision, that presents an overlay on all games that shows you the fps, % CPU used, etc. while gaming. Is there any sort of generic thing like that? I know fraps will give you fps, but none of the other fancy stuff

It sounds to me like the game is running exactly how it should be with your laptop. For the most part, all you have to do is make sure SLI is enabled in the Nvidia control panel and everything will work. You don't need EVGA precision or any other tools.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
It sounds to me like the game is running exactly how it should be with your laptop. For the most part, all you have to do is make sure SLI is enabled in the Nvidia control panel and everything will work. You don't need EVGA precision or any other tools.

I'm with ya, I just was wondering if there was a universal tool that showed fps/%CPU/%gpu/etc