New Jersey Hospital Charges Man Nearly $9K to Bandage Cut Finger

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
And Overvolt was talking about kage69's injury/decision. What is your point exactly?

My point is, once again, that I was replying to Overvolt's post and not Kage69's.

Seeing as how you're struggling with this I'll type it again:

I was replying to Overvolt's post and not Kage69's.

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014
It's got nothing to do with self-responsibility and the moment anyone uses that phrase it's a good indication that what they're about to say is a load of nonsense.

And thus you've proven.

There is nothing intelligent about refusing to go to ER when you've had half of your hand crushed.

The moment you disregard self responsibility you destroy any credibility you had at being an intelligent individual. It very much does have to do with self responsibility, if you're too dense to see that I feel sorry for you.

I guess it was unintelligent to go to urgent care then and receive the exact care he needed? Are you that stupid to contradict yourself like that?

Individuals with your mindset are whats crushing this country. Take responsibility for yourself and your actions. This includes preparation for emergencies of all kinds, personal health, and financial stability. If you think that is someone else's job to deal with you're flat out stupid.

Your response is a typical rebuttal with no actual merit or supporting information for your ill conceived point.

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014
Markets are dysfunctional and broken in health care to benefit a few. So no, it's not just simple supply and demand.
Out of context, try following the conversation. Fanatical Meat made a comment regarding self responsibility related to goods needed in an emergency situation, not healthcare. Is there not a demand for healthcare? Is there not a supply of doctors? Regardless of how dysfunctional the cost of supply is, it is still supply and demand. Don't like the current supply, find another or make your own.
While this guy appeared to be kind of dumb, I'd bet the ER made it appear to be an injury that required immediate attention. Should price gouging be accepted for perceived emergencies? How about the person with heart failure a real emergency based on this transaction it could be over a million dollars. Would this still be supply & demand? Its the only hospital that can be reached and demand is immediate or death.
How about basic ethics, is over billing good behavior?
What about the roofing guys that troll senior citizens to sell them roof work that cost 60k? When is the charge so high its immoral, unethical and illegal?

I already made my stance that I do not agree price gouging is ethical. Ethical or unethical it does not change the economic principal.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
The moment you disregard self responsibility you destroy any credibility you had at being an intelligent individual. It very much does have to do with self responsibility, if you're too dense to see that I feel sorry for you.

I guess it was unintelligent to go to urgent care then and receive the exact care he needed? Are you that stupid to contradict yourself like that?

Individuals with your mindset are whats crushing this country. Take responsibility for yourself and your actions. This includes preparation for emergencies of all kinds, personal health, and financial stability. If you think that is someone else's job to deal with you're flat out stupid.

Your response is a typical rebuttal with no actual merit or supporting information for your ill conceived point.

All you've done is expend a lot of energy moaning about the youth of today and I don't know why you think posts like that are worthy of a better response; mayhaps you have too much self entitlement...?

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014
All you've done is expend a lot of energy moaning about the youth of today and I don't know why you think posts like that are worthy of a better response; mayhaps you have too much self entitlement...?

I guess discussing an issue that is plaguing the healthcare industry in a healthcare related thread is "moaning about the youth of today". You havent provided any real response at all, only deflection. Carry on in an ignorant bliss.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
You had no intention of discussing anything of the sort, you just leapt at the chance to have a nice little cliched rant about things.

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014
You had no intention of discussing anything of the sort, you just leapt at the chance to have a nice little cliched rant about things.

:awe:

Oh but I did and I did discuss it. All you did was interject with pot stirring one liners and deflection tactics when presented with information. Here you are again deflecting. Apparently you are too high and mighty to actually discuss a topic, or too ignorant.

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014

He's discussing a news item on a discussion forum, something that is a perfectly normal thing to do.

Hypocrisy much? I'm sorry my discussion on a news item in a discussion forum doesnt fit your agenda like the other threads does.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Although both of my posts there contain the word 'discussion' they're otherwise very different.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I'm the arbiter here, you don't get promoted to forum mod by sitting in doors watching TV all day.

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014
tumblr_m6394mL1LJ1r49pluo1_400.gif

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The problem is not that the insurance would not pay, it's that the market is so manipulated that they were able to get away with even thinking they could charge you or your insurance that much in the first place. This is what happens when everyone is expected to have insurance.

Feb 4, 2009
The problem is not that the insurance would not pay, it's that the market is so manipulated that they were able to get away with even thinking they could charge you or your insurance that much in the first place. This is what happens when everyone is expected to have insurance.

Add to that people who have insurance and money have to pay a crap load more to offset the people without insurance or money

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
This is what happens when everyone is expected to have good insurance. The worsethe coverage, and the higher deductibles, the less it helps. For instance, if you haven't had anything done this year, had a $1500 deductible, and 80% coverage at that hospital for most procedures, it would be $3000, which is still insane, and that wouldn't be a bad plan.

Oct 30, 2004
This is what happens when a for profit company runs the health care and another for profit company pays for it and they both want their bigger cut.

...coincidentally...the U.S. spends about 18% of its GDP on health care but still has tens of millions of uninsured and under-insured Americans with hundreds of thousands of medical-cost-induced bankruptcies each year. In contrast, other nations spend far less than 18% of their GDP on health care and have 100% coverage and zero medical bankruptcies (but they are evil suchialist nation excrement-grubbing people's states). Go figure.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
Oh right, healthcare is something everyone in the world is entitled to regardless of cost or burden on the tax payers:rolleyes: Forget responsibility for one self, someone else will pick up the tab.

...and here's where it gets interesting. It turns out evil suchiolized medicine in other nations ("people's states") has proven to have a far lower burden on taxpayers than our current quasi-free market health care system. People in the evil suchiolized nations pay less in combined taxes and out-of-pocket that Americans do in combined taxes and out-of-pocket.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
I just want to know where all the money is going. I know doctors make a lot and hospitals are turning themselves into country clubs, but there has to be a shit load left after that.

...Insurance company executives...Hospital executives...Advertising agency executives whose businesses run ads for doctors, hospitals, and health insurance...Health care benefits consultants, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
Well no, because that's the key difference between medical care and getting your car fixed.
It's only a key difference if you make it that.

That is not always the case when it comes to medical care. If you are dying of a heart attack you don't have time to shop around and engage in price comparisons like you can for auto repair. Sadly, capitalism just does not work very well for health care due to the inability of people to forgo treatment and the difficulty with predicting total costs.

You'll love real laissez-faire free market health care, btw. Are you prepared to hire a lawyer to read through the 1000 page health insurance contract so that you don't miss that clause on page 712 about how if you had acne when you were younger the insurance company can unilaterally rescind your health coverage if you are diagnosed with cancer?

The free market dogmatists who lamented the possibility of medical death panels under Obamacare (while conveniently (or perhaps ignorantly) ignoring the pre-existing death panels currently in place at private health insurance companies) have no clue what they would be in for under real laissez-faire capitalist health care. They envision a world full of well-meaning, ethical Howard Roarks, Kira Argounovas, John Galts, and Dagny Taggarts when in reality it would also be chock full of Floyd Ferrises, Peter Keatings, Ivan Ivanovs, and Wesly Mouchs searching for innovative ways to legally rescind your health insurance contract.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
...Insurance company executives...Hospital executives...Advertising agency executives whose businesses run ads for doctors, hospitals, and health insurance...Health care benefits consultants, etc.

LOL, yeah, it's all going to the "evil executives".

Simply answers for simple minds.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
It really goes by state.

Some states are better than others. Maryland is VERY fair on prices overall, but I still complain because its concerning you could get charged $50 for a band aid (really not that bad if you are seen by a doctor and its put on by a nurse) or like this article... $9,000... a total rip. Pretty sure an EKG is like... $74 in maryland. Some states are charging like a grand I'm sure.

Oct 30, 2004
LOL, yeah, it's all going to the "evil executives".

Simply answers for simple minds.

Where do you think the money is going, then? Who do you think is really benefiting from all of this?

Obviously there are also lower-level employees who are performing jobs that would be unnecessary under socialized medicine. However, it's really the executives that make out like bandits under the current system.

Last edited: