New Ipods revealed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I was really hoping for a nano with more space but that 16g touch ipod is looking really tempting...
If it was 32 Gigs I'd buy it with (only a minor hesitation because it's damn expensive.)

After looking at Apple.com, the touch ipod looks like it's missing some of the iphone features like weather, mail, maps, calendar, and notes.

the touch looks good, I was kind of hoping they would leave all the non phone features of the iPhone on it, but as you said it looks like it's stripped down. My neighbor carries on about some damn shopping list app his iPhone has. If Apple had made the touch a hybrid iPod + PDA'ish I would jump on it. But, it runs a version of OSX right? so maybe it'll be hacked and owners could put all the non phone app's from the iPhone on it.

Regardless I"m thinkin about getting one, 16 gigs is plenty of storage for me, yeah I got like 55 gigs of music but how much do I need loaded at one time?

are you talking about the ajax websites?

it's a web site? oh I don't know, I just know he loves the shopping thing on his phone, it being some sort of web site makes sense. Since the touch has Wifi I don't see why it couldn't be hacked to run Safari with realitive ease. Of course what do I know? :)

The touch comes with Safari, no need to hack it for that.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: videogames101
Well, my Cowon A2 STILL beats every crappy ipod in apple's array. Why do these things sell so well? HORRIBLE formats, crappy DRM itunes, and a screen half the size of some competitors. Apple is feeding on a mis-informed market, and should be shot.

iPods are everywhere, I've even seen them for sale in Vending Machines. the Cowon is bad ass, but you can't just buy it anywhere. And iPods have more accessories than every other MP3 player combined, probably 10x the amount. What B&M can an average joe go to today and pick up a Cowon? I like the player a lot mind you, The only thing I really like about iPods are the accessories, I might get a Touch, I might get a Zune I might get a Cowon. At least we have a choice and some of us know you don't have to get an iPod.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Originally posted by: dartworth
iPod/Apple haters make me laugh:beer:

h

I know! :D

Its hilarious...

meh

lol, see, thats the POINT! their stock is going up! why? they selling a crappy product to an ill-informed market! thats why i hate them, i never said they weren't doing well.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

h

Its hilarious...

meh

lol, see, thats the POINT! their stock is going up! why? they selling a crappy product to an ill-informed market! thats why i hate them, i never said they weren't doing well.

crappy? they are giving people what they want apparently and people aren't disappointed.. Sure they usually "define" what the market "wants," but people eat it up...so blame the people.

The ipod is not crap btw. it may be outclassed via NUMEROUS additional features by the competition, and I think that's what helps its market appeal to the scared-of-technology crowd. it provides them a taste of a tax-bracket-ravishing IPO with just some lame government bond:p

It gives people a lot upfront.....and people pay for that convenience....

it's like the dollar menu or something I guess..:p

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Well, my Cowon A2 STILL beats every crappy ipod in apple's array. Why do these things sell so well? HORRIBLE formats, crappy DRM itunes, and a screen half the size of some competitors. Apple is feeding on a mis-informed market, and should be shot.

iPods are everywhere, I've even seen them for sale in Vending Machines. the Cowon is bad ass, but you can't just buy it anywhere. And iPods have more accessories than every other MP3 player combined, probably 10x the amount. What B&M can an average joe go to today and pick up a Cowon? I like the player a lot mind you, The only thing I really like about iPods are the accessories, I might get a Touch, I might get a Zune I might get a Cowon. At least we have a choice and some of us know you don't have to get an iPod.

Here is another problem, Apple what could almost be seen as a monopoly on the market, but i just find that maddeing when they're ARE, in fact, more, and better, options. Apple is on a popularity sales trend here, people but them because near everyone buys them, and i don't like that sort of market with almost no competition because people are mis-informed. If someone went out and saw and ipod and a cowon next to each other, and still bought the ipod, i'd be happy. But the ridiculaus monopoly-like grip apple has, makes me angry. I was really annoyed at microsoft for not strongarming the zune into stores, because i just wanted to see some real cmpetition and market innovation.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

they selling a crappy product to an ill-informed market!

please...that is such a lame statement...:roll:

Right, want to back your own staement up? ipod sell because everyone buys them, so everyone else buys them. the competition has almost no chance to break such a popularity sselling point.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

h

Its hilarious...

meh

crappy? they are giving people what they want apparently and people aren't disappointed.. Sure they usually "define" what the market "wants," but people eat it up...so blame the people.

The ipod is not crap btw. it may be outclassed via NUMEROUS additional features by the competition, and I think that's what helps its market appeal to the scared-of-technology crowd. it provides them a taste of a tax-bracket-ravishing IPO with just some lame government bond:p

There it is! See, i don't blame the people, i blame the avalibilty of information about those other features! If people knew this, then they could make an informed decision, and even if they bought the ipod, i'd still be happy with it. But people don't get inf on the competition, and theirn lies the problem.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005

Here is another problem, Apple what could almost be seen as a monopoly on the market, but i just find that maddeing when they're ARE, in fact, more, and better, options. Apple is on a popularity sales trend here, people but them because near everyone buys them, and i don't like that sort of market with almost no competition because people are mis-informed. If someone went out and saw and ipod and a cowon next to each other, and still bought the ipod, i'd be happy. But the ridiculaus monopoly-like grip apple has, makes me angry. I was really annoyed at microsoft for not strongarming the zune into stores, because i just wanted to see some real cmpetition and market innovation.

the current Zune is pretty good, but don't worry I think MS is not done yet.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

Please, by all means foward that to the Cowon marketing department.

No, you know what, it's on me..I'll pick up the tab.

PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS. PEOPLE ARE SHEEP. PEOPLE ARE SMART. PEOPLE ARE RATIONAL. PEOPLE ARE INDEPENDENT.

All that can be argued.

The fact that Apple is a monopoly is not based on anti-competitive muscle. People are satisfied, and in the end it is the marginal utility that is driving their sales, not Apple's actions towards any other business.

It's weird really...not to try to paint them in a good light, but they really KNOW how to WORK the system....people eat their sh!t up (even me) because they provide us with some Cake RIGHT NOW.

<-likes cake

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

h

Its hilarious...

meh

There it is! See, i don't blame the people, i blame the avalibilty of information about those other features! If people knew this, then they could make an informed decision, and even if they bought the ipod, i'd still be happy with it. But people don't get inf on the competition, and theirn lies the problem.

A lot of us are well aware that there are phones out there that offer more than the iphone. That's not the point. The reason I chose the iphone was the ease of use offered by the Apple UI. It's features are simply a click away, and streamlined. Plus, the web browsing is top notch (better than any phone I've encountered).

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS. PEOPLE ARE SHEEP. PEOPLE ARE SMART. PEOPLE ARE RATIONAL. PEOPLE ARE INDEPENDENT.

All that can be argued.

The fact that Apple is a monopoly is not based on anti-competitive muscle. People are satisfied, and in the end it is the marginal utility that is driving their sales, not Apple's actions towards any other business.

It's weird really...not to try to paint them in a good light, but they really KNOW how to WORK the system....people eat their sh!t up (even me) because they provide us with some Cake RIGHT NOW.

<-likes cake

I didn't say they had anti-competition buisness models, i'm just saying so many people buy ipods, it's almost impossible to for other buisness, even the mighty ms, to get some sort of "real" competition to sell. And , i think, i will write to cowon, they could really bust apple open with the upcoming A3 if they had the marketing power and gave it a little time.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

h

Its hilarious...

meh

this is about the inherent repercussions of establishing and maintaining a fruitful capitalist society.

Apparently ,as you seem to be gravitating towards people, this has nothing to do with mp3 players:p

I think you just hate people.

If you want to discuss the economics of this, using my pathetic level of knowledge on the subject, what LEGITIMATE BARRIERS would you say competitors face in entering the mp3 market beside a little competition. (ignorance on the product is assumed if there is no advertising)

Where are the cowon ads?

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats

h

Its hilarious...

meh

A lot of us are well aware that there are phones out there that offer more than the iphone. That's not the point. The reason I chose the iphone was the ease of use offered by the Apple UI. It's features are simply a click away, and streamlined. Plus, the web browsing is top notch (better than any phone I've encountered).

I don't think most people know they're are better phones though, and thats what i object to.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
The competition has "almost no chance" because they do not have a superior product. By product I am referring to the big picture. The iPod has a very easy to use design and GUI. Package this with iTunes and you have a very easy to use system that looks great.

Apple has also teamed up with manufactures to create all kinds of accessories for iPod users which aslo make it very attractive to buyers.

iPods are very popular. Do most people buy iPods for this reason? Sure that does factor in. However, I believe the iPod is so popular because it is nearly perfect for most users and is also great looking.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Parasitic
Well this also means one thing: discounts on previous generation iPods!

And on the iPhone as well. You can get the 4 GB model at a closeout price of $299, which isn't bad!

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

h

Its hilarious...

meh

this is about the inherent repercussions of establishing and maintaining a fruitful capitalist society.

Apparently ,as you seem to be gravitating towards people, this has nothing to do with mp3 players:p

If you want to discuss the economics of this, using my pathetic level of knowledge on the subject, what LEGITIMATE BARRIERS would you say competitors face in entering the mp3 market beside a little competition. (ignorance on the product is assumed if there is no advertising)

Where are the cowon ads?

I don't hate people =) But, the fact is there is not just a little competition, there is ALOT. First, it would take a huge amount of advertising, (which, btw, i agree other companies have failed miserably in) but the main competition is how far the ipod has worked itself into the culture of todays america. Half the people i know think an iPod is not the same as an mp3 player. It's the kind of thinking the has engulfed those not as technically knowledgable as some of us, that makes it almost impossible for a competitor to edge in.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

All that can be argued.

<-likes cake

I didn't say they had anti-competition buisness models, i'm just saying so many people buy ipods, it's almost impossible to for other buisness, even the mighty ms, to get some sort of "real" competition to sell. And , i think, i will write to cowon, they could really bust apple open with the upcoming A3 if they had the marketing power and gave it a little time.

*warning***
RANT:

sorry but that's horsh!t....pardon my russian.

if a company can't compete in a purely competitive market (the only barrier to entry is RIAA/MPAA licensing and pricing agreements which they want to fvk apple for anyway), they don't deserve to survive.

These companies just suck at business.

I would hope most people agree that phones like the Nokia N95 are SICK. Seriously, Nokia has a STELLAR reputation. The damn thing includes the frigeen kitchen sink, and all the nerds all over the world were salivating over it.

The problem is two-fold.

1) they suck at marketing apparently. Plaster celebrities all over with it...put it on tv..radio...commercials...product placement in movies..SOMETHING.

jeeze people....it's liek they expect people to jsut "gravitate"to their products.

that's one thign I give mad props to apple corp.

They don't sit on their ass, and market the SH!t out of what amounts to a hard drive / flash with a fancy LCD on the front and a snazzy interface as if it is solution for all your owes, a necessity for every day and everywhere.

It's the competitors that suck..

oh and on a side note, as if it hasn't been said enough:
seriously MS..WTF..."squirting?!" not wonder their product sales suck. and no wireless downloading...?! They could've beaten apple to market ages ago...

if anything, they fvked them self....apple is just taking all the pie for itself and getting fat off of it while the competitors jsut jack off on the floor out of view...

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

h

Its hilarious...

meh

Where are the cowon ads?

I don't hate people =) But, the fact is there is not just a little competition, there is ALOT. First, it would take a huge amount of advertising, (which, btw, i agree other companies have failed miserably in) but the main competition is how far the ipod has worked itself into the culture of todays america. Half the people i know think an iPod is not the same as an mp3 player. It's the kind of thinking the has engulfed those not as technically knowledgable as some of us, that makes it almost impossible for a competitor to edge in.

If a truly superior product came out than I think the masses would adopt it

if you really believe that the Cowon A2 is superior in virtually every way than an ipod touch I've got news for you it isn't

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Does the touch have email capability? If you are in a wifi hotspot can you message/email people using their touchscreen keyboard? POP3? I wanted an iPhone, but don't want an additional plan, so the touch is interesting.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
The competition has "almost no chance" because they do not have a superior product. By product I am referring to the big picture. The iPod has a very easy to use design and GUI. Package this with iTunes and you have a very easy to use system that looks great.

Apple has also teamed up with manufactures to create all kinds of accessories for iPod users which aslo make it very attractive to buyers.

iPods are very popular. Do most people buy iPods for this reason? Sure that does factor in. However, I believe the iPod is so popular because it is nearly perfect for most users and is also great looking.

frankly, it doesn't even matter..they have the better marketing team. they move units.that's why they are popular and that's why the sheep ($$$ ) follow)

as far as the econ goes, it's just a coincidence that their product delivers on many of its promises too)

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mchammer187

h

Its hilarious...

meh

Where are the cowon ads?

If a truly superior product came out than I think the masses would adopt it

if you really believe that the Cowon A2 is superior in virtually every way than an ipod touch I've got news for you it isn't

the iPod touch loses simply because it's a, in most respects, a DRM only player. why, in your opinion, is the touch superior?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: torpid
Wow that sucks. The Touch is going to be overpriced, just like the iphone. $300 for 8gb and $400 for 16gb. If that had been 80gb and 160gb I'd be all over it.

16gb of flash storage is pretty good, better battery life and not fragile like HDD units makes it teh winnar for me.

16 gigs is crap especially seeing as it plays videos

It isn't crap for most people. I'm willing to bet that 95% of people who have ipods dont use more than a couple gigs of storage on them.

I have a 40 gig harddrive on my laptop (the only computer I currently have), and I am still only using 25 gigs of storage on it after 3 years of owning it.

I haven't filled my 4GB Nano yet. :eek: I see no reason to loads albums worth of crap when I only like particular songs.

you must not listen to good music/bands ;)
i say that, because there are very few albums from very few bands that I cannot listen to the entire album. Some bands tend not to create too much good material, so I often only listen to a few songs on an album. Yet most bands I listen to, I can listen through an entire album multiple times without an issue. Actually, most CDs I have, when I got them I would listen to them, and typically only that album, for at least a few weeks. Sure, I'd listen to other albums every now and then, but the majority of my listening would be stuck to that new album.
Even now, I tend to listen to certain material, but inevitably find my way back to Coheed & Cambria, mixing it up between various songs across all their studio releases, even one of their live releases to mix it up further. :)
But I do that with a lot of bands as it is, listening to various songs from a band's various studio releases, and even though certain songs get played more than others, I still branch out from the norm with songs from the rest of the album. :)

(sorry to lecture there, wrote a lot more than I meant to, but it sticks because I hate deleting and filtering out what is useless. I leave that to the reader. :D )