Article New Intel 28 core unlocked Fire breathing monster review !

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13748/the-intel-xeon-w-3175x-review-28-unlocked-cores-2999-usd

A 32 phase power with 6 CPU power plugs, and 2 24 pin power plugs just for the motherboard. At 4.4 ghz with a custom water setup, it consumes 510 watts just for the CPU !

And yes, the CPU alone is $2999. The motherboard is estimated at $1500. And a quote from the conclusion:

"On the power side of the equation, again the W-3175X comes in like a wrecking ball, and this baby is on fire. While this chip has a 255W TDP, the turbo max power value is 510W – we don’t hit that at ‘stock’ frequency, which is more around the 300W mark, but we can really crank out the power when we start overclocking.

This processor has a regular all-core frequency of 3.8 GHz, with AVX2 at 3.2 GHz and AVX-512 at 2.8 GHz. In our testing, just by adjusting multipliers, we achieved an all-core turbo of 4.4 GHz and an AVX2 turbo of 4.0 GHz, with the systems drawing 520W and 450W respectively. At these frequencies, our CPU was reporting temperatures in excess of 110ºC! This processor is actually rated with a thermal shutoff at 120ºC, well above the 105ºC we see with regular desktop processors, which shows that perhaps Intel had to bin these chips enough that the high temperature profile was required."

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
What performance miracle are you talking about?Links?

the geekbench score of i7-7700 while consuming 6x less at 2.x GHz

a tablet CPU that has a GPU of 6y old console...

I call that a miracle

we are talking here about 28CSKL 32C ryzen while they s...k comparing

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
the geekbench score of i7-7700 while consuming 6x less at 2.x GHz

a tablet CPU that has a GPU of 6y old console...

I call that a miracle

we are talking here about 28CSKL 32C ryzen while they s...k comparing
how can you compare benchmark scores coming from different platforms?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
how can you compare benchmark scores coming from different platforms?
Also it's not even close to the 7700,it's quite a bit below the g4560 even.
Looking at the results between the i3-4360 and the i3-4350 and seeing the weaker one having a higher result doesn't help much either.
The PC results are always all over the place with such benchmarks because a lot of people run them when they have problems with their systems in an attempt to find the problem.
https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/apple-cpu-vs-intel-cpu-fight/130182

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
Also it's not even close to the 7700,it's quite a bit below the g4560 even.
Looking at the results between the i3-4360 and the i3-4350 and seeing the weaker one having a higher result doesn't help much either.
The PC results are always all over the place with such benchmarks because a lot of people run them when they have problems with their systems in an attempt to find the problem.
https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/apple-cpu-vs-intel-cpu-fight/130182

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?dir=desc&q=ipad+pro&sort=score

Ipad pro a12x 2,5GHz 8C, result like 7700 with graphics that laughs at Intel 630

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
Out of curiosity what is planned for Intel's HEDT later on this year? I know a few months ago the main HEDTs were basically a few hundred Mhz from the previous years cpus. What core count do you think Intel will release by the end of this year? Anything close to 32 cores?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Out of curiosity what is planned for Intel's HEDT later on this year? I know a few months ago the main HEDTs were basically a few hundred Mhz from the previous years cpus. What core count do you think Intel will release by the end of this year? Anything close to 32 cores?

Last roadmap I saw Cascade Lake-X was on there. So if they don't cancel it, you are still looking at the same core counts.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If Cascade Lake-X still exists, then you can at least get Spectre + Meltdown mitigations at hopefully lower performance penalties than with Skylake-X.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So, you can't find it on newegg, unless you got auto-notify on, but its back in stock. The motherboard is OOS though. Its $1800 for the motherboard, and $3000 for the proc. Below is the only review on newegg, and before you flame me, this guy is so stupid, I don't think he actually owns this, and I don't even believe it, but its a fun read.

"Pros: I have been running this with 8 cores active. It runs faster and doesn't heat up as much. I do not plan to use any more cores as I have no reason to. Some people think you should use all the cores but you really only need 4 (or 8 if you want the best graphics.) I was able to momentarily reach 2.8 Ghz using a socket 775 air cooler! Any decent air cooler is sufficient to get this thing running 2.4+ Ghz nearly stable. Because this processor has the new solder TIM inside you must solder the heatsink to the processor as everyone knows. My heatsink covers nearly 80% of this massive chip and I don't even have a solid connection. All in all i would recommend this processor for anyone looking for a good experience from excel, word or even loading up one of your favorite games. That leads me to another interesting point. This processor handles anything i throw at it for 10-15 mins at a time! I have never seen graphics like this before. It even has built in resets programmed into windows to keep people from spending too much time doing any one thing. Saving your work every few seconds is a must and becomes quite intuitive after a few resets. I have found that lowering clocks to 2.0 Ghz and disabling all but 2 cores will sometimes allow gaming endlessly- please don't think you have to limit yourself. I have been told i could have purchased a $100 processor for what i'm doing with mine. To those people- if i wanted to see poor graphics and long load times i would have. When you have to choose between a car and a cpu, the choice is obvious. A CPU doesn't require nearly as much maintenance as a car so I am saving far more money using the CPU, even after the $1800/month electricity bill (the cpu is Less than half of that cost!) It truly is a small price to pay for the best.

Cons: It can run hot. Typically i see 120-140 Celsius. It is important to disable any thermal limits or you will not get the most from this processor. Taking a break everyone 10 minutes or so is the best way to keep things cool. I recommend only turning on the PC when you absolutely need to as it truly is an indulgence to use sparingly.

Other Thoughts: Make sure have a spare motherboard ordered every few weeks. They seem to go out of stock all the time! Although it as only happened twice Ever to me, the motherboards for this aren't made well and tend to melt and smoke. However the motherboard is easily replaceable and you'll have fun doing it! "

The other thing that is funny, is to turn on subtitles on the videos above, and auto-translate, It sure does not make any sense.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It's not fun, it's lame.

The satire could have been done much better, imo.
OK, lame, is fun also, but the main purpose of the post was to let everyone know, you CAN actually buy it, and the motherboard is out there, just not available. I put it on auto-notify also, just to see if it actually comes back in stock. But seriously, 5 grand for a motherboard/cpu ? and then at least 6 ram sticks, and a custom water loop, just to beat the 2990wx by 10% ? Maybe 20% in a couple of cases, but its a ridiculous CPU to buy, even for someone like me that has to have one of the best just to play with..

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
So, you can't find it on newegg, unless you got auto-notify on, but its back in stock. The motherboard is OOS though. Its $1800 for the motherboard, and $3000 for the proc. Below is the only review on newegg, and before you flame me, this guy is so stupid, I don't think he actually owns this, and I don't even believe it, but its a fun read.

"Pros: I have been running this with 8 cores active. It runs faster and doesn't heat up as much. I do not plan to use any more cores as I have no reason to. Some people think you should use all the cores but you really only need 4 (or 8 if you want the best graphics.) I was able to momentarily reach 2.8 Ghz using a socket 775 air cooler! Any decent air cooler is sufficient to get this thing running 2.4+ Ghz nearly stable. Because this processor has the new solder TIM inside you must solder the heatsink to the processor as everyone knows. My heatsink covers nearly 80% of this massive chip and I don't even have a solid connection. All in all i would recommend this processor for anyone looking for a good experience from excel, word or even loading up one of your favorite games. That leads me to another interesting point. This processor handles anything i throw at it for 10-15 mins at a time! I have never seen graphics like this before. It even has built in resets programmed into windows to keep people from spending too much time doing any one thing. Saving your work every few seconds is a must and becomes quite intuitive after a few resets. I have found that lowering clocks to 2.0 Ghz and disabling all but 2 cores will sometimes allow gaming endlessly- please don't think you have to limit yourself. I have been told i could have purchased a $100 processor for what i'm doing with mine. To those people- if i wanted to see poor graphics and long load times i would have. When you have to choose between a car and a cpu, the choice is obvious. A CPU doesn't require nearly as much maintenance as a car so I am saving far more money using the CPU, even after the $1800/month electricity bill (the cpu is Less than half of that cost!) It truly is a small price to pay for the best.

Cons: It can run hot. Typically i see 120-140 Celsius. It is important to disable any thermal limits or you will not get the most from this processor. Taking a break everyone 10 minutes or so is the best way to keep things cool. I recommend only turning on the PC when you absolutely need to as it truly is an indulgence to use sparingly.

Other Thoughts: Make sure have a spare motherboard ordered every few weeks. They seem to go out of stock all the time! Although it as only happened twice Ever to me, the motherboards for this aren't made well and tend to melt and smoke. However the motherboard is easily replaceable and you'll have fun doing it! "

The other thing that is funny, is to turn on subtitles on the videos above, and auto-translate, It sure does not make any sense.

I think it's pretty clear that's a fake review intended to be funny (though I don't think it succeeded at that). You see them often enough on Amazon for products that are completely ridiculous, unnecessary, or just plain stupid. Some of them are actually pretty funny.