New in macOS Sierra: Keep Folders on Top When Sorting by Name in Finder

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/macos-sierra-finder-folders-on-top/

F**cking finally!

I was just searching to see if this was ever possible officially. I cannot recall what spurred that thought, but first I was discouraged when finding that third party tools that allowed that were basically killed off with the introduction of System Integrity Protection (SIP) in later versions. But then, by the grace of the gods, I found that Sierra finally, FINALLY, provided this option.

Welcome to the modern world Apple! Windows and most file utilities in Linux have only been there for generations now. But they welcome you to the party!

Seriously, I have grown quite fond with Finder over the past year or so, very much, save for this one glaring exception. It pains me, but finally that pain may be relieved.
I think I still prefer Explorer in Windows 10 (save for the lack of tabs - yes I know, 3rd party blah blah blah, but I like native integration, come on Microsoft, you were in the party but now you've one foot in and one out the door, don't leave!), because I do actually really love the Ribbon and in general have grown used to its approach for years and years, with slow evolution improving it IMHO. I haven't witnessed slow evolution with Finder, as I didn't jump into OS X/Mac OS until late (10.9 IIRC), but even without that, I have found it plenty useful for my needs, and now finally might just actually bump itself ahead of Explorer now that it has proper sorting in addition to native tabs. I mean, seriously Microsoft, no tabs yet?!

Thank you, Apple! I'll take the better nate than lever approach!

Last edited:
Reactions: suklee

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
Sometimes I wonder with features like this whether its there's a mentality at Apple of not including them just because someone else does and its not the Apple way (even if it does add convenience to both old school mac users and new converts alike).

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Sometimes I wonder with features like this whether its there's a mentality at Apple of not including them just because someone else does and its not the Apple way (even if it does add convenience to both old school mac users and new converts alike).

There are definitely such mentalities at Apple - they do things how they want, when they want, and that's final, end of discussion. They can be both very forward thinking and very stubborn. Not unlike Microsoft/Windows, they both have their methods and ideologies. I just think it was nuts that they could hold off on this feature for all this time. I cannot imagine it required a drastic rewrite of Finder, or else they would have made a new Finder that had a ton of new features and a new look because why rewrite for one feature? If it was something only Microsoft did, I bet they'd have held off for even longer, but considering it is not an alien feature in the *nix and BSD world, it's beyond puzzling.