New HIV research shows promise

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
We've seen reports before where things really didn't pan out. But this article appears much more promising.

HIV Research

The discovery of this non-changing area of the HIV virus may be the key to eliminating or at least being able to control this terrible disease. Still, a very long way off.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
As a biochemist let me just say this, HIV is a b!tch. We've seen promising theories like this before, with genes we swore couldn't change. They changed. To put it in layman's terms, HIV is is so terrible at copying itself exactly that it pretty much never gets it done. All of these little changes can, by random chance, make it different enough to make certain medications useless. The key, as of now, is early detection. Once you have full blown AIDS (and the symptoms are obvious), any sort of treatment that requires a reaction by the immune system will be a failing effort. Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but one can only cry wolf so many times, but I do hope this works out. Some day, one of my fellow biochemists will crack the secret of neutralizing viruses, but it is extremely difficult to kill something that isn't dead (and is principally made of the same stuff we are). You have to remember that antibiotics were discovered by accident (and through poor lab techniques as well).

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu
As a biochemist let me just say this, HIV is a b!tch. We've seen promising theories like this before, with genes we swore couldn't change. They changed. To put it in layman's terms, HIV is is so terrible at copying itself exactly that it pretty much never gets it done. All of these little changes can, by random chance, make it different enough to make certain medications useless. The key, as of now, is early detection. Once you have full blown AIDS (and the symptoms are obvious), any sort of treatment that requires a reaction by the immune system will be a failing effort. Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but one can only cry wolf so many times, but I do hope this works out. Some day, one of my fellow biochemists will crack the secret of neutralizing viruses, but it is extremely difficult to kill something that isn't dead (and is principally made of the same stuff we are). You have to remember that antibiotics were discovered by accident (and through poor lab techniques as well).

I know, but we can always hope. Somewhere, sometime, there has to be an effective treatment - note not necessarily a magic bullet. Everything has a weakness, it is just incredibly difficult finding that weakness in HIV.

mc00

Jan 25, 2005
To be honest. I don't think they want to find cure for any of those current issue. Well think about it drug company makes sh!t of load of money off HIV/Cancer patience buying there pills. How many year has pass since they discover HIV/AIDS? and cancer?

Don't you think they should have found something by now(especially how far we are in technology) ?

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
AIDS is easy to avoid catching (no drugs or weird sex. Keep to relationships with decent people who arent risky - no one night stands etc) .

"Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over, report admits"

A 25-year health campaign was misplaced outside the continent of Africa. But the disease still kills more than all wars and conflicts

http://www.independent.co.uk/l...ort-admits-842478.html

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: mc00
To be honest. I don't think they want to find cure for any of those current issue. Well think about it drug company makes sh!t of load of money off HIV/Cancer patience buying there pills. How many year has pass since they discover HIV/AIDS? and cancer?

Don't you think they should have found something by now(especially how far we are in technology) ?

Why don't you get a job as an HIV/cancer researcher and find the cure? It sounds simple enough with today's technology.

The HIV of today is far different from the first HIV discovered, and saying you want a cure for cancer is an extremely broad statement for an extremely complicated subject. You could call the HPV vaccine a "cure" for cervical cancer too.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: mc00

You may want to do some reading on these subjects. Cancer and HIV are phenomenally difficult to "cure". Mutation rates, variations providee a number of roadblocks to effective treatment let alone a cure.

We have made great strides in both areas, but much remains to be done. I also do not take such a cynical view that drug companies are as you put it essentially killing people for profits.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: cumhail
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Yep, they'll cure it the same day they cure cancer.

Chris Rock on the subject, 28 seconds into the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpdl3ITXmY

If you haven't seen the routine before, it continues (and references) his previous comments on nothing having been "cured" since Polio.
Hehe, treatments have gotten better in some areas, though. Testticular cancer used to be a death sentence but now survival is exceptionally high if caught in a reasonable time period.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Butterbean
AIDS is easy to avoid catching (no drugs or weird sex. Keep to relationships with decent people who arent risky - no one night stands etc) .

"Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over, report admits"

A 25-year health campaign was misplaced outside the continent of Africa. But the disease still kills more than all wars and conflicts

http://www.independent.co.uk/l...ort-admits-842478.html

I'm shocked at this post from you.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Yep, they'll cure it the same day they cure cancer.

A bit off topic, but they are actually coming closer to curing cancer recently through the use of nano technologies. I read an article which explained how they used some of this technology on a rabbit whose kidneys were completely covered in cancer. The nanomachines managed to identify all of the cancerous cells, destroy them all 100%, and not harm any normal cells.

Now, that is just one successful test, but it is a promising one to say the least. I personally believe it will be perfected in my lifetime.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
The problem with 'curing' cancer is that there are literally thousands of different types, none of which respond exactly the same way to medication.