New Hispanic Immigrant Workers Affect Wages Of Established Counterparts

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Washington Times

The Washington Times (8/20, Miller) reports, "Newly arrived Hispanic immigrant workers bring down the wages of their working-class native and established-immigrant peers, according to a report based on 1990 census data. The researcher said the 13-year-old data was the most recent and complete information available, but other analysts said the study failed to reflect an economy that has evolved along with the influx of both legal and illegal immigrants through the prosperous 1990s. The report released by Lisa Catanzarite with the Chicano Studies Research Center at the University of California at Los Angeles, found that men, both native and established immigrants, earned an average of 11 percent less than others in blue-collar jobs when they worked alongside recently arrived Hispanics. The higher the number of newly arrived Hispanic men on the job, the less money the other workers tended to make, the research found. The study scrutinized data on male workers in 38 US cities, including New York, San Diego and Washington." The study reports, "Results show that in occupations with many newcomer Latino incumbents, other workers earn lower wages than would be expected. That is, there are substantial wage penalties in local brown-collar occupations; significantly larger penalties for minorities than for whites; and reduced monetary returns to schooling in brown-collar fields." The study recommends, "expanding worker protections for the immigrants, enforcing minimum-wage standards and extending amnesty."

So, should we halt new illegal immigrants, because they're willing to work for even less than their established illegal immigrant brothers?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
We should halt illegal immigrants because they're breaking the law. If they want to come over here and take advantage of our system of gov't, our welfare system, our political and personal freedoms, they can go through the gates like everyone else.

xochi

Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum
We should halt illegal immigrants because they're breaking the law. If they want to come over here and take advantage of our system of gov't, our welfare system, our political and personal freedoms, they can go through the gates like everyone else.

most come for a job so they can send money back home to their families in latin america. when they feel comfortable they send for their wife and kids. most, if not all of them bust their ass working 24/7 for a chance to better themselves.

They have a win win situation, republicans are falling over themselves courting the hispanic vote, and democrats are doing the same. i read an article in the christian science monitor that said republican and democrat politicians are taking spanish lessons in record numbers.

Republican Senator, John Coryn of Texas is taking spanish lessons in the Mexican city of Cuernavaca, (i studied spanish there myself) He is pushing for new guest worker/amensty legislation that will surely pass.

funny really

Yes i am Mexican

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: xochi

most come for a job so they can send money back home to their families in latin america. when they feel comfortable they send for their wife and kids. most, if not all of them bust their ass working 24/7 for a chance to better themselves.

They have a win win situation, republicans are falling over themselves courting the hispanic vote, and democrats are doing the same. i read an article in the christian science monitor that said republican and democrat politicians are taking spanish lessons in record numbers.

Republican Senator, John Coryn of Texas is taking spanish lessons in the Mexican city of Cuernavaca, (i studied spanish there myself) He is pushing for new guest worker/amensty legislation that will surely pass.

funny really

Yes i am Mexican

Hey, that's okay that they're looking for a job. We have citizens who go looking for crack whores - they get caught in stings and put in jail. As they should be.

I don't really care what your ethnicity is. My family immigrated here legally in the 1920's from Russia.

xochi

Jan 18, 2000

funny really

Yes i am Mexican

Hey, that's okay that they're looking for a job. We have citizens who go looking for crack whores - they get caught in stings and put in jail. As they should be.

I don't really care what your ethnicity is. My family immigrated here legally in the 1920's from Russia.

My family settled in what is now South Texas around 1725.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

That's admirable. Did they immigrate legally?

There wasn't even a Texas, or for that matter a United States, in 1725. How the hell do you migrate to something legally like that?
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

xochi

Jan 18, 2000

with attractive Spanish Land grants they settled close to the Rio grande river.

at that time Texas was a dangerous, hostile wasteland full of indians. Spanish missions/forts were built to offer some kind of protection to the settlers.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Elemental007

There wasn't even a Texas, or for that matter a United States, in 1725. How the hell do you migrate to something legally like that?
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Hahaha, oh my, I'm stupid. I was flipping back and forth between AT and Morningstar and I barely even glanced at the post, I just clicked reply and shot off some flippant response. My apologies for being such an ass.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
with attractive Spanish Land grants they settled close to the Rio grande river.

at that time Texas was a dangerous, hostile wasteland full of indians. Spanish missions/forts were built to offer some kind of protection to the settlers.

Yes, yes, I remember that portion of my American history course.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

As long the economy of mexico continues to suck, we are going to have an illegal immigration problem. The only way to solve this is to put a sniper every 200 yards along our southern border and this is not a real option either.

If they want to come here to work, give them work visas and tax them just like everyone else.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

As long the economy of mexico continues to suck, we are going to have an illegal immigration problem. The only way to solve this is put sniper every 200 yard along our southern border and this is not a real option either.

If they want to come here to work, give them work visas and tax them just like everyone else.

That's not a bad idea. I wonder how much (lost) tax revenue could be regained by doing this.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
That's the whole idea..lay off your full time legal employees and hire day labor and pay em under the table..then bill out their labor like they're full time legal employees. It's a California racket that's been going on and in progress for years. It's a defacto California practice...

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
They're never gonna halt these illegal immigrants becuase the businesses love cheap labor and the Republicans are too beholden to business. The Democrats are just to wimpy to do anything about it. So neither party cares to do anything about it.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
They're never gonna halt these illegal immigrants becuase the businesses love cheap labor and the Republicans are too beholden to business. The Democrats are just to wimpy to do anything about it. So neither party cares to do anything about it.

And I ask the question, how do you stop them from coming over here?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

First and foremost, have a completely (as much as possible) indepedent taskforce come in and (as much as possible) cleanse the existing border patrols of corruption. Also, find and deport exsting illegal immigrants, while freezing their assets and deducting any back taxes owed. Then increase existing border patrols along the more open routes into the country.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

First and foremost, have a completely (as much as possible) indepedent taskforce come in and (as much as possible) cleanse the existing border patrols of corruption. Also, find and deport exsting illegal immigrants, while freezing their assets and deducting any back taxes owed. Then increase existing border patrols along the more open routes into the country.

And tell me again how are we going plug the border to keep people from coming across the border? Build a fence a couple thousand miles long?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
And tell me again how are we going plug the border to keep people from coming across the border? Build a fence a couple thousand miles long?

How do other countries manage it?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I am not sure. I am sure most countries dont have such a difference in economys with their neighbors and length of border between the US and Mexico. Ther border between the US and Canada is much longer, but our economies are much more similar, so we do not have many illegal canadians entering the country.

Short of building a fence, complete with snipers, I dont see a way to stop it.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Is it really so impossible to build a fence? It seems to me that the fence would only cost about as much as a large highway of the same length. Or am I wrong?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

I am not sure. I am sure most countries dont have such a difference in economys with their neighbors and length of border between the US and Mexico. Ther border between the US and Canada is much longer, but our economies are much more similar, so we do not have many illegal canadians entering the country.

Short of building a fence, complete with snipers, I dont see a way to stop it.

I was gonna say North and South Korea, but they have the whole sniper thing covered, and then some.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Is it really so impossible to build a fence? It seems to me that the fence would only cost about as much as a large highway of the same length. Or am I wrong?

They will just cut though or dig under the fence.