New headphone advice needed.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Well an ear in my Sennheiser PC150's went off (wire inside detached) that I basically always used. So I decided to go with some headphones instead and just use the half working headset (mic works great) for work and such and then use the headphones for music and gaming. Anyways I was wondering if there is a big difference in any of the models between HD415's to the HD515's. Which is sort of the price range I am interested in, like sub $100 range I guess?

Which model is the better buy? For headphones is it always the most expensive headset is the best buy? Usually not always that way with other electronics. So would the 515's be a significant upgrade over say the HD485's that would justify 20-30 dollars more? The HD485's appeal to me, but would any of the others be a better buy or an improvement?

I'm not really an audiophile or anything, and this will basically be used in the computer (Audigy 2zs) and sometimes CD/MP3 players.

And I am not looking for just Sennheiser, just had good recommendations by others, any other headphones that are great at that price range would be fine.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
you are gonna have to audition them yourselves. The sensitivity of your ears and how your brain resolves sound is very different from the next person. Someone may be able to justify the price, but if you don't hear a difference, obviously you can't justify the price. Try to find a place to audition the headphones.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
This is true, but would also like some input (if anyone has personal experience) on any of the models. Are there other brands I should be looking at, as well, for this price range?

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I'd say the A-500 in your price range. Great SS for gaming, and closed. Just a little over your price range, but one of the best in this price range. Text

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Original MDR-V6 should cover all your needs. My first set has hit 22 years and still going strong.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
I LOVE my HD485s, GREAT for gaming. Their soundstage is HUGE, if I didn't have special textures in CSS I could hear them before I could see them.
Did I mention their pads are pretty much pillows?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: montypythizzle
I LOVE my HD485s, GREAT for gaming. Their soundstage is HUGE, if I didn't have special textures in CSS I could hear them before I could see them.
Did I mention their pads are pretty much pillows?

Yes, I have the HD485 also. Very comfortable.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I'm a fan of the Grados and the Sennheisers. Try both - they're somewhat different.

If you can get them, a used or new pair of Beyerdynamic or AKG headphones are nice. I can verify from personal use that the AKG K240s are nearly indestructible.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheesehead
I'm a fan of the Grados and the Sennheisers. Try both - they're somewhat different.

If you can get them, a used or new pair of Beyerdynamic or AKG headphones are nice. I can verify from personal use that the AKG K240s are nearly indestructible.

Sub 100 dollar range ^_^.

The HD485s are 60 shipped at the egg and they sound AMAZING.
They really want you to get more, but the HD485s aren't that loud and bassy until you amp them or have a decent headphone output on your sound card.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I actually think I'm going to spring for some Sennheiser HD 555's, I see em for around 95 bucks with free shipping. Think thats a pretty decent deal for sub $100?

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: vhx

I actually think I'm going to spring for some Sennheiser HD 555's, I see em for around 95 bucks with free shipping. Think thats a pretty decent deal for sub $100?

That's an amazing deal for one of the most comfortable headphones on the market. Make sure to burn them in until 150 hours, they have a funny mid-range until that point :)

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: potato28

That's an amazing deal for one of the most comfortable headphones on the market. Make sure to burn them in until 150 hours, they have a funny mid-range until that point :)

For burn-in, go get some music that uses the whole frequency range (Cherry Poppin' Daddies works VERY well for this; Zoot Suit Riot and Master & Slave both run the gamut from 40hz to 20khz), and play it through your headphones for at least a day straight. Don't turn up the volume too loud, though - set it just a hair below normal listening level.

ALso, get a good soundcard. I'm fond of M-audio.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001

where did u find them for that price?

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheesehead
Originally posted by: potato28

For burn-in, go get some music that uses the whole frequency range (Cherry Poppin' Daddies works VERY well for this; Zoot Suit Riot and Master & Slave both run the gamut from 40hz to 20khz), and play it through your headphones for at least a day straight. Don't turn up the volume too loud, though - set it just a hair below normal listening level.

ALso, get a good soundcard. I'm fond of M-audio.

OMFG I haven't heard Zoot Suit Riot in years, I didn't even remember what the song was called, used to be my mom's favorite song :roll:

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: gizbug
Whats the major difference btwn the HD555 and HD485 besides price?

All I know is that they sound worlds better than a lot, and will get you started with headphones.
SOLID starter headphone.