New Haswell mobos incompatible with old Noctua Heatsinks?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Hey all, i'm hoping to upgrade to Haswell setup this summer if its good at overclocking, but would the layout of the mobo make it incompatible with LGA 1150 based heatsinks? or would Noctua release an update for the new Haswell mobos? I'm currently using the Noctua NH D14 (massive heatsink).

What has Intels track record on this been?(have they designed new mobo sockets to be compatible with old heatsink designs) Also, what has the usual response by heatsink manufacturers been to new mobos? thanks

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
ah sweet! thanks for the link! i can't get it for free as i don't have the receipt, but i can't imagine it's more than $5. :p

edit: actually i don't need to do anything, that kit is for pre 2005 Heatsinks, current heatsinks will work fine as Haswell will have the same mounting holes as 1150/1155.:)

<i>Because the LGA 1150 socket keeps the same mounting hole spacing as the current LGA 1156 and LGA 1155 sockets, many newer Noctua cooler will not need the mounting kit upgrade, and can simply be installed into the Haswell machine as is. In other words, if the heatsink worked with your Lynnfield, Sandy Bridge, or Ivy Bridge-based system, it will work in a Haswell system as well. According to Noctua, the following coolers are already compatible with Haswell:

NH-C14, NH-D14, NH-C12P SE14, NH-L12, NH-L9i, NH-U12P SE2, NH-U9B SE2 </i>

Last edited: