New hard drive with very slow HD Tune speeds

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Hey all,

I have a WD Caviar Black 32MB Cache 1TB that I use as my gaming disk, I was running out of room so I decided to upgrade. After shopping around I found this HGST fit my needs well: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHAJU7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I noticed that once I cloned everything over to this new HGST drive I noticed that things didn't seem very quick at all...so I installed HD Tune 2.55 and did some testing.

Some comparison tests are a WD Green 1TB that I use for Windows Backup images only vs this HGST drive. The results are a little odd and I can't figure out what the deal is. I noticed that the burst speed on the HGST goes up to over 300MB/s sometimes, but does generally show burst results in the 120MB/s. I'm on the Z97 chipset again with the HGST and all other hard drives. Nothing other than optical media are on the Asmedia controller (2 ports).

Any input is appreciated. Lots of pictures since they have a lot of data.

Pictures:

HGST Usual averages on Z97 chipset
Zgl6wwr.png

HGST Avg on Asmedia:
l5XyFHs.png

WD Green 1TB Averages on Z97

k7dYkPi.png

Oddball Results with HGST on Z97:
Xf1UK76.png

System Specs:
16GB Ram
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
SSD Boot Drive

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Get it off the Asmedia controller and try again. The "addon" controllers are known for being slower than the onboard Intel ports.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Get it off the Asmedia controller and try again. The "addon" controllers are known for being slower than the onboard Intel ports.
I'm back on the Z97 controller, sorry should have specified that in the original post.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
That update screenshot looks pretty normal to me. It's a "NAS" drive to it's not designed for performance.
Edit: That said, I see it's reporting 2199GB. That's low for a 3TB drive. Is the drive formatted properly?

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
That update screenshot looks pretty normal to me. It's a "NAS" drive to it's not designed for performance.
Edit: That said, I see it's reporting 2199GB. That's low for a 3TB drive. Is the drive formatted properly?

That was an absolute outlier and didn't stay that way. I'm running various tests/tools/benchmarks comparing it to a WD Green and I'm getting really odd results showing that the WD Green is a lot more flat lined in it's results compared to the HGST which seems to be bursting. More than one tool also indicates that the HGST writes faster than it reads.

A WD Green should not be outperforming this drive in my opinion, it should also be noted that others stated in their reviews that they were getting 150MB/s read and writes with this drive where I am not.

The 2199GB report was incorrect, I think that's just due to HD tune being so old. Windows reports the 3GB just fine.

Other tests:

HGST:
LeRYn4S.png

WD Green:
Iw10Sz9.png

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Ended up calling support. They talked to the engineers and were told to wipe the drive completely and do a speed test over again. If I'm still getting the same results I've been seeing I need to RMA the drive as they are much lower than what I should be getting.