New hard drive no detected in laptop

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
I have an Acer Aspire 3 laptop. The drive died after two years. I bought Seagate Barracuda 1TB HD. 6Gb/s. I have the Windows 10 media creation tool on a flash drive. When I power the laptop it only shows the flash drive and not the HD.

I don't know why the new drive is not being recognized or how to get it to be seen.

I also have a SSD drive that I tried. It sees that but said something about being an ETI or something and I need a GBT I think it said.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
I did and it doesn't show up.

I did put in the drive from an old computer. It works but I'd rather use the new drive I bought. The old one is slow. Not sure if the new one would be any faster.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I did and it doesn't show up.

I did put in the drive from an old computer. It works but I'd rather use the new drive I bought. The old one is slow. Not sure if the new one would be any faster.
You may need to reconnect the drive again. Where did you get the drive from?

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Try putting the new drive into another computer and see if it shows up in the bios. It could be a bad drive. Alternatively, it could be a bad cable or even the port. Also, any HD is going to be slow. An SSD is going to be way faster.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I took it out a few times and it wasn't seen. I got it from Amazon.
Was it actually sold by amazon or third party? Did you try connecting the drive to a different machine?

I can't believe you bought a hdd lol. Even a smaller sata ssd is good enough for your mother.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
It was sold by a third party. I haven't tried it in another machine.

She doesn't care how fast it is. If it was mine I would have gotten an SSD.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It was sold by a third party. I haven't tried it in another machine.

She doesn't care how fast it is. If it was mine I would have gotten an SSD.

Yeah if it doesn't work in another machine, initiate return with amazon. Probably scam.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What model SSD is it, do you know? I assume this is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD? It is likely defective if it will not even show up in the firmware setup.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ah ok, I misread the OP a bit I guess. I was thinking the HDD was first replaced with the 1TB spinner, which was bad, and then an SSD was ordered, which also had problems.

Now it sounds like the SSD is working fine on an older computer, but was likely initialized MBR, since the old system either did not have UEFI support or had windows boot in legacy mode. To get the SSD to work in a newer laptop booting windows in UEFI mode, you will need to wipe the SSD and reinitialize it as GPT. Also, make sure the windows installer you made on the flash drive is capable of booting in UEFI mode. You should be able to boot from the flash drive, wipe the SSD, and then install windows to it. Of course make sure you have anything important backed up first.

Alternatively, just buy another cheap SSD and return the defective spinner. But no sense using a spinner in a laptop these days.

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
I put the 1TB spinner in and it wasn't detected. Then I tried an SSD that I had that showed up but was the wrong format I guess. Windows was not in Legacy mode. It was UEFI. I formatted the SSD. I didn't see an option to reinitialize it as a GPT. I believe the flash drive was capable of booting in UEFI made since it worked on the old HDD from the older computer.

I have a portable IDE/SATA to USB 3.0 SSD/HSS converter. I hooked the 1TB spinner to it and it didn't show up. I could hear it spinning. A message came up saying it would run faster if hooked to a USB 3.0 port.

I've never had an issue connecting a HDD to the converter. They always show up. Maybe the 1TB is bad. I'll just return it.

The old HDD is working fine. So I guess it's all good.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I put the 1TB spinner in and it wasn't detected. Then I tried an SSD that I had that showed up but was the wrong format I guess. Windows was not in Legacy mode. It was UEFI. I formatted the SSD. I didn't see an option to reinitialize it as a GPT.
Formatting a drive doesn't change its partitioning type. You have several options:
1. You can convert mbr to gpt: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt
2. If you are doing a clean install of Windows from the flash drive, then when it comes time to choose the drive to install, delete all the partitions on the SSD, then create a new partition. It will automatically set up the drive as GPT.

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
I didn't know a new drive had partitions. I thought you had to create them yourself.