New gun design exempt from federal gun laws...but does it serve any practical purpose?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Working link: http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/21/news/companies/silencer-muzzleloader/index.html

Pretty good murder weapon. Accessible to felons, quiet, powerful. Sure, you only get one shot, but if you hit what you're aiming at one is enough. Of course it doesn't have any self defense application. But there are some people who hunt using muzzleloaders, so there's that. The inefficiency of the gun is the selling point for a small percentage of Jeramiah Johnson wannabes.

You do realize that despite having a suppressor on it the gun will still be loud as fuck, right?

Reactions: Leeea

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm sure CNN isn't the most accurate source here, but can anyone point to any practical purpose for this gun? It seems it was designed to circumvent legislation, but does it serve any practical purpose? I can't imagine a single shot musket to be an effective hunting weapon against the kind of game that would require 50 cal stopping power. Nor do I see this as an effective home defense weapon. As a sporting gun, wouldn't a muzzleloader have horrible accuracy (or am I confusing this with muskets of old?)

You don't think muzzle loaders are effective hunting weapons? Really?

I can pretty well guarantee you if this gun is used in violent crime, you'll be able to count the number of times it is used in such cases on your fingers, and you'll have fingers to spare.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Thanks, I didn't know that. I spend most my legal weapon research on places I plan to visit and , in all honesty, New York City isn't on my bucket list.

A hell of a lot of fellow Russians live there, Uncle Vanya's cafe, what the heck is wrong with you?

Oh, right; they're generally not Putinist.

Last edited:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I grew up shooting traditional black power guns and they are considered "antique firearms" weather they are actual antiques or new reproductions of the old designs. In most states (all?) you can get them shipped right to your door from a retailer without a background check. I bought a Pietta reproduction of a Remington 1858 New Army revolver at a local gun store last year and walked right out with it. Many black powder guns can be purchased in unfinished kits that you fit together and finish yourself for the enjoyment of making a custom gun. The movie "The Revenant" sparked a lot of renewed interest and sales of muzzleloaders, especially flintlock rifles. It's a sport and hobby for the refined, nostalgic shooter, not the tacti-cool guy intent on putting 500 rounds through terrorist shaped targets each range visit.

In my state (Idaho) I believe .45 cal sabot or round ball is the smallest you can legally hunt deer sized game with. Larger elk, bear, moose and such require min .50 cal. .50 caliber black powder is nothing approaching the power of a .50 cal centerfire cartridge and the two are completely different beasts. Most black powder hunters by far use modern inline black powder rifles that use a shotgun primer to fire the load, as opposed to a few traditionalists who enjoy shooting and hunting with tradition flintlock or caplock guns. Muzzleloading hunters also enjoy earlier, uncrowded hunting seasons and the challenge of stalking their game to the shorter effective ranges muzzleloading guns are capable of shooting. It's not for every shooter, but some of us love it.

Crimes committed with black powder firearms are almost nonexistent, but have occurred. Still, to be worried about some theoretical muzzleloader "loophole" leading to an increase in crime is fucking stupid.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Welp, this has been an informative thread to a novice like me. The only thing I've ever shot was this double barrel cheapo gun they hand you at Bull Run. Would be fun to try a muzzleloader if I ever get my hands on one.
dba60db6aebb8572631037e5fd26b145.jpg
39b9d37315da51b82ef8b951b7f488f2.jpg

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
new account with the first post in a 3 year old thread about gun rights.

care to explain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 11, 2004
Legally owned guns are rarely used in crimes.

Bull fucking shit. Lots of people getting kills outside of legal hunting seasons or what their permits allow.

Most guns are rarely used for self defense or hunting either yet we always get that as a reason that people should be allowed to amass arsenals. One single gun nut in a small town near where I grew up had hundreds of guns "stolen" (I put that in quotation marks because I have a strong hunch they used that excuse to clear that guy while the guns were probably funneled to the hands of white supremacist militias).

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Bull fucking shit. Lots of people getting kills outside of legal hunting seasons or what their permits allow.

Most guns are rarely used for self defense or hunting either yet we always get that as a reason that people should be allowed to amass arsenals. One single gun nut in a small town near where I grew up had hundreds of guns "stolen" (I put that in quotation marks because I have a strong hunch they used that excuse to clear that guy while the guns were probably funneled to the hands of white supremacist militias).

and most guns are not used for crime either. most guns sit in a safe most of their lives. most guns are not used for anything.

looks like about 25 % of the firearms used in crimes are legally obtained. not a direct answer in this study, but you can pars out an est. if you assume a retail purchase is legal.

one guy who has guns, in your opinion and speculation, was not robbed when claimed to be and sent weapons' to white supremacist militias, thus every gun owner is a white supremacist in a militia. ok, sure.

and "lots of people getting kills outside hunting season" not regular people that go hunting sometimes. poaching is majority a well organized crime with black market channels to move the goods, mostly pelts and weird "traditional medicine" stuff. restricting weapons will not change a criminal enterprise.

any update to the law on this particular case? I could not find anything.

they are still 139 Db when shot. that's still damn loud, nobody is sleeping though that.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
as far as the subject of this thread, if I were to get a muzzle loader I'd go black powder and get a kit and build my own

(yes I know this is a necro)

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

You need to back that bull fucking shit up with some facts there dude. How about some statistics from reliable sources, and no Karen the kunt on face book is not a reliable source.

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
as far as the subject of this thread, if I were to get a muzzle loader I'd go black powder and get a kit and build my own

those look like fun!

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the gun lobby and gun industry are working hand in hand to take the hard earned money of libertarians and other folks the left would describe as "gun nuts".

Exhibit A: the Maxim 50
"No federal gun control for new silencer-muzzleloader - CNN Money"
https://apple.news/AJ0p4-XEYTiOOynCmXDmXiQhttps://apple.news/AJ0p4-XEYTiOOynCmXDmXiQ

I'm sure CNN isn't the most accurate source here, but can anyone point to any practical purpose for this gun? It seems it was designed to circumvent legislation, but does it serve any practical purpose? I can't imagine a single shot musket to be an effective hunting weapon against the kind of game that would require 50 cal stopping power. Nor do I see this as an effective home defense weapon. As a sporting gun, wouldn't a muzzleloader have horrible accuracy (or am I confusing this with muskets of old?)

I guess with this and 3D printed guns, there's a pretty good market for people who will buy an impractical weapon for the express purpose of telling the government to "kiss my ass", but aren't there more effective ways of doing that for free??

Interesting read.

1611968573988.png

Here's a working link.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

They're fun to build, and to shoot. I had a black powder pistol with a 3" unrifled barrel. Missed a refrigerator from 10' away. The rifles are pretty accurate.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I want one.

Reduces hearing damage / impact on bystanders and dogs.

Be aware these things still make a lot of noise.