New Google discussion

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
you've probably noticed that google has gotten new features and a new interface. (well, really it's changing all the time)
anyway, what do you like/dislike that they've added recently

personally I think:
search by numbers very useful
I like the size links on the images search
the new interface is sort of ugly
the ads on the right of web searches seem to be more distracting

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
As long as they stick with the minimalist front-page approach they have championed and continue to add and cull their database, I'll be happy enough.

techfuzz

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
I don't like the front page, the images, news, froogle should be in the grey boxes like they were before.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: royaldank
UPS and FedEX tracking is a nice addition.

they've had that for a long time, even before the new interface.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Wow, it's sweet. The new functions seem pretty helpful. All my searches can be now be just done on google.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
You don't have to worry about the new front-page any if you used the Google search box in Mozilla Firefox.

techfuzz

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
I dig the "Google Compute" Distributed Computing feature they added to the Google toolbar. And no, I have never used the toolbar (why the hell would I want more stuff blocking my window), but I like it for one reason...

You can easily install a Folding@home client on a bunch of computers at work/whatever without anybody realizing it.

Most clients are kinda obtrusive for a business environment. Hell, most computers here don't even get 'surfed' so the toolbar won't even be noticed. If the projects themselves were to do something like this, they would probably get a lot more action from people doing that kind of thing at their jobs/whatnot. Good use of idle time for a good cause.

My .02

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: JackDawkins
I haven't used Google in months, since they really started sucking on search results.
what do you use then?

It depends. If I need something quickly that I know is commonly available, I use the Google toolbar. If it is something rare I am looking for or research I am doing, I use a combination (in descending order of priority): MSN, Yahoo, Google.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: techfuzz
You don't have to worry about the new front-page any if you used the Google search box in Mozilla Firefox.

techfuzz

what are you, 13? "discovering" firefox wasn't really too special of you, so quit your infantile "wit", will you?

Originally posted by: ThaPerculator
I dig the "Google Compute" Distributed Computing feature they added to the Google toolbar. And no, I have never used the toolbar (why the hell would I want more stuff blocking my window), but I like it for one reason...

You can easily install a Folding@home client on a bunch of computers at work/whatever without anybody realizing it.

Most clients are kinda obtrusive for a business environment. Hell, most computers here don't even get 'surfed' so the toolbar won't even be noticed. If the projects themselves were to do something like this, they would probably get a lot more action from people doing that kind of thing at their jobs/whatnot. Good use of idle time for a good cause.

My .02

I believe the toolbar only runs when the explorer is actually open. the service install is much better, though, I think.

although F@H doesn't have as much of a use as its proponents claim, so really the only reason to crunch is for the bragging rights. which is partly why I stopped.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus
what are you, 13? "discovering" firefox wasn't really too special of you, so quit your infantile "wit", will you?
I discovered firefox? Wow! I wonder if I'm going to gain the notoriaty that Al Gore gained when he invented the Internet!?

Chill out, I was merely pointing out an alternative for those people who don't particularly like the new front-page of Google.

although F@H doesn't have as much of a use as its proponents claim, so really the only reason to crunch is for the bragging rights. which is partly why I stopped.

Are you still standing on that soap box? OK, get down and banish yourself to a corner... enough thread crapping for you!

techfuzz

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus
Originally posted by: techfuzz

techfuzz

I think you're the only one who saw that as "wit." I use the Google search box in Opera, FWIW. :p

DonIsHere

Aug 3, 2000
Originally posted by: dpopiz
you've probably noticed that google has gotten new features and a new interface. (well, really it's changing all the time)

personally I think:

What do you mean by "search by numbers"?

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by: DonIsHere

personally I think:

What do you mean by "search by numbers"?

it's what they call the thing that lets you just type in a number like a shipment tracking code or an airline code or FCC or whatever and have it show what you want

geez amorphus cool down. sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
geez amorphus cool down. sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays.
"When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well does anyone ever say to you sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays? Sh1t no man, I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that man."

techfuzz