New Gigabyte 670 acting strange, need advice

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
I installed a Gigabyte 670 today and it seems pretty great, at least most of the time.
After playing around with clocks a bit I went into BF3 to test it out, and everything ran as it should, but trouble began when playing WoW. I got a black screen that lasted maybe 4-5 seconds, as if the display driver had stopped working, and then the core reset to stock, un-boosted clock (980 MHz) and memory clocks dropped all the way down to 162 MHz! After a few minutes memory clock went back up, but I had to restart Precision X to re-apply core clock (which I guess is normal).

I'd only applied a very modest 35 MHz OC to the core and none to the memory as it's my first nVidia card so wanted to start out slow; according to GPU-Z the GPU never went above 73% of the TDP and temps were hitting low 50s. I checked the GPU-Z log file and noticed the voltage (which, when under load, always runs as 1.175) had dropped down to 0.9xx mv at the same time the clocks went haywire. I'm wondering whether my PSU is being run to its limit (it only has 408W on the 12v rail) or if it's WoW that's being weird (it didn't happen in BF3).

I've only got a single HDD, a 2500k at 4.2 GHz and 3 fans running so I'd be surprised if the PSU is actually running at full capacity.

I read this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide
and noticed my "Kepler Boost" seems to vary from 52 to 13, depending on the clock offset. The boost clock is 1058 at stock and the card runs at 1110 under load (+52 Mhz) but if I OC the core, the Kepler Boost simply doesn't 'boost' as much, despite temps still being in the 50s.

I'm really at a loss here and wondering whether I should get a more capable PSU, return the card or admit defeat and run it at stock (which is really a very boring way of using an expensive graphics card).

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
The boost clock overclocks the card by itself when temps and power are good... of course there is the silicon lottery... my Gigabyte GTX 670 automatically boosts to 1162Mhz out of the box without me doing anything on EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburne and it also always run at 1.175...

I still haven't overclocked it myself but everyone else on this thread have success:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2247076&highlight=gigabyte+windforce+gtx+670

Last edited:

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
My main concern is really the drastic drop in memory frequency and voltage I saw, and not so much the clocks I'm getting - although if both can be rectified by a simple solution, that'd be great. I'm gonna do some more troubleshooting - first step of which will be to install latest drivers (apparently I was using 307.74, as the nVidia newbie that I am..)

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Set a profile in Precision with your default clocks, and enable the profile when playing WoW. It sounds like it dropped to idle speeds and voltage.

This may be an artifact of the dynamic clocks and the relatively old engine used in that game. Perhaps the load was quite low for a moment, triggering a drop in clocks.

Last edited:

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Does this problem happen if the card is @ default speeds? if yes then its defective and u need to RMA, if the problem doesn't occur @ default speeds then u overclocked it too much (yes 35mhz can be too much on an already factory overclocked vid card).

very simple.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
What Termi said:

Go to NV control Panel
Manage 3D settings
Go to program settings.
Scroll down to WoW
set Power Management Mode
set Prefer Maximum performance

This stops lulls in older games from entering lower clocks/voltages. The clocks usually jump back up moving your character or leaving a menu, but sometimes the transition is noticed, negatively.

edit: I would not play/learn to o/c with your new card until you at least test stock stability or it's quirks.

Last edited:

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
I've been running it slightly overclocked in BF3 and at stock in WoW most of the day, no problems. I also realized the driver was an older 307.74, so perhaps the switch to 310.90 made a difference as well.
Is it possible the card downclocks due to insufficient power throttling? My PSU is not particularly resourceful at 408W on the 12V rail. I've been considering a new PSU for a while anyway as it's getting a bit old.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I've been running it slightly overclocked in BF3 and at stock in WoW most of the day, no problems. I also realized the driver was an older 307.74, so perhaps the switch to 310.90 made a difference as well.
Is it possible the card downclocks due to insufficient power throttling? My PSU is not particularly resourceful at 408W on the 12V rail. I've been considering a new PSU for a while anyway as it's getting a bit old.

If you're running it a stock and having the problem in WoW, we know it's not an OC problem. What model of PSU do you have? It's unlikely that's the problem, but it could be.

Have the new drivers helped?

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
When I had those problems in WoW, the core was overclocked (don't remember specifically by how much, but ~50 MHz) and 307.74 drivers were installed. I haven't tried OCing while in WoW since updating drivers, so can't say whether the new ones solved the issue. I'm a bit apprehensive about trying to force the same reaction again.

My PSU is an Arctic Cooling Fusion 550. According to a review here on AT it's made by Seasonic. I don't really know how much power my system draws, but as I wrote in the first post, the card's TDP % has yet to exceed 75 according to GPU-Z.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
When I had those problems in WoW, the core was overclocked (don't remember specifically by how much, but ~50 MHz) and 307.74 drivers were installed. I haven't tried OCing while in WoW since updating drivers, so can't say whether the new ones solved the issue. I'm a bit apprehensive about trying to force the same reaction again.

My PSU is an Arctic Cooling Fusion 550. According to a review here on AT it's made by Seasonic. I don't really know how much power my system draws, but as I wrote in the first post, the card's TDP % has yet to exceed 75 according to GPU-Z.

Ok - your PSU is certainly up to the task. I didn't realize you had the video card OC'd when you did the WoW test - that would in fact lead to a driver crash if the clock was too high for the particular game. Every game is different.

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
I made a thread identical to this one on the Tom's Hardware forums where I was told my PSU was by no means up to the task of handling my 2500k @ 4.2 along with an OCed 670.
The reviews I've read cite peak system power draw in the high 300s, so by that measure I should be fine, but if the PSU is pushed too far it could go horribly wrong couldn't it?

I OCd the card a bit now, lets see what happens when I get into a raid where it's properly stressed.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I made a thread identical to this one on the Tom's Hardware forums where I was told my PSU was by no means up to the task of handling my 2500k @ 4.2 along with an OCed 670.
The reviews I've read cite peak system power draw in the high 300s, so by that measure I should be fine, but if the PSU is pushed too far it could go horribly wrong couldn't it?

I OCd the card a bit now, lets see what happens when I get into a raid where it's properly stressed.

That's why you came here, of course!

Let us know how the OC goes.

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
Interesting. Clock was 1149 in GPU-Z when running around on my own. When in the raid where the GPU is more heavily stressed, it decreased to 1123 with temps in the 50s, TDP % went into the 60s and GPU load percentage in the 70s.

This would indicate either thermal or power throttling, right? Is there a temperature reading I'm not seeing (VRMs maybe?) or is it in fact power throttle that causes this decrease in core clock?

EDit: it further down-clocks to below the stock max boost of 1110, getting closer to the boost clock of 1058 (without the "kepler boost") when under heavier load. Temps are still low, gpu load topped at 60%, TDP % tops at 50 %.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Interesting. Clock was 1149 in GPU-Z when running around on my own. When in the raid where the GPU is more heavily stressed, it decreased to 1123 with temps in the 50s, TDP % went into the 60s and GPU load percentage in the 70s.

This would indicate either thermal or power throttling, right? Is there a temperature reading I'm not seeing (VRMs maybe?) or is it in fact power throttle that causes this decrease in core clock?

EDit: it further down-clocks to below the stock max boost of 1110, getting closer to the boost clock of 1058 (without the "kepler boost") when under heavier load. Temps are still low, gpu load topped at 60%, TDP % tops at 50 %.

You can't gauge GPU load by what's on screen. Clearly, if Afterburner is saying 60-70% load, it's not even close to a heavy load.

Honestly, it sounds like there isn't anything wrong with your card. It's working exactly as it's supposed to. Dropping to standard boost clock is what happens when the GPU has very little to do. You wouldn't see it in new games like BF3, but WoW is ancient.

When I play Age of Empires III, the card operates at 500MHz clocks. Thermal or power throttling? I don't think so. ;)

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
I guess that makes sense. It just seems weird that the FPS isn't on 60+ all the time when 1) the card isn't under 99% load, and 2) it actually downclocks itself when under heavier stress.
Perhaps you're right, and BF3 will be better at gauging it simply due to the newer engine.
But you're saying it's safe pushing the clocks further? At least until I get closer to the TDP limit.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I guess that makes sense. It just seems weird that the FPS isn't on 60+ all the time when 1) the card isn't under 99% load, and 2) it actually downclocks itself when under heavier stress.
Perhaps you're right, and BF3 will be better at gauging it simply due to the newer engine.
But you're saying it's safe pushing the clocks further? At least until I get closer to the TDP limit.

Oh, yes, you can push the clocks, but in a game like WoW, you'll hit the limit of the silicon well before you hit the power limit. You mentioned a boosted overclock of 1149. That's already pretty high. It's not a fantastic overclock, but every 670 overclocks differently. So if you start to get driver crashes, you have to back off.

Also, if your FPS is dropping in WoW without fully loading your GPU, it's a CPU bottleneck. You don't have to run out and buy a new CPU - it's just a fact of life that in a game engine that doesn't stress new GPUs much, occasionally the frames per second will be determined by the CPU.

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
Oh well, guess I can experiment a bit with clocks until errors start popping up.
Thanks for your help and assurances! I feel a bit more comfortable with the card now :)

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Oh well, guess I can experiment a bit with clocks until errors start popping up.
Thanks for your help and assurances! I feel a bit more comfortable with the card now :)

You're very welcome.

But just keep in mind - if you start to get driver crashes at default clocks, the card isn't operating correctly and should be RMA'd. Behavior even with very minimal overclocking, however, is entirely determined card-by-card.

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
Ok. Well, it seems to do fine at 1149 with the proper drivers. I should also play around with mem clocks a bit, see what they can accomplish. Fun fun!