New gaming PC build - complete newbie, need input

BHP_Kris

Jun 20, 2018
Hello everyone,

So I've been trying to get into building a gaming PC for myself and I've been completely overwhelmed with the amount of products available. With the help of a couple of co-workers, I've narrowed down the parts list a bit, though it'd be great to get a third eye on things to see if some parts of the setup could be improved.

The parts list I'm thinking about are:

CPU - Intel i5-8400
RAM - DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2400Mhz 1.2V
PSU - Corsair TX650M 650W, 80 Plus Gold (Semi modular, 120mm)
HDD - WD Black 3.5" 1TB Sata3 7200 RPM 64MB
Motherboard - ASRock Z370 PRO4
Case - Corsair Carbide 100R Mid-tower
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SATA
GPU - Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 AMP, 8GB GDDR5X (256-bit)

I didn't include the CPU cooler, because the CPU comes with one from the store I'd buy from (stock one I think, nothing fancy).

I've also read that it might be good to adjust the motherboard to perhaps the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3, what do you think?

Are there any other things, that you guys would adjust in the setup? I want to be VR-ready to play sim-racing games (assetto corsa, dirt rally, stuff like that, heard those applications are CPU heavy) as well as some other stuff (pubg, fallout, TES, etc.). I'm also not sure if I'd be getting into the whole deal of overclocking CPUs (I might want to, might not, so it's not a priority).

The budget, as shown in the PC part picker is ~1400 USD, though if I'm looking at the prices in my local shop, it would be around 1450 EUR and I would not like to get over that.

The monitor, keyboard and mouse wouldn't be needed at the moment since I do have them.

Any help and insights would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: Thebobo

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You're going to want faster RAM (2800 speed or faster), and you'll need an 8600K or 8700K to overclock the CPU.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You may want to increase the 1TB HDD to 2TB as many of the new AAA and VR games are quite sizable.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
i5 8400 is locked, so there's not a lot of point in getting a Z370 chipset based board, unless there's a specific feature you're looking for. Either go with a cheaper B360 or H310 board, or get an unlocked "K" CPU (8600K, 8700K).

My 2 cents, the only K CPU worth buying is the 8700K. The i7 8700 non-K and a less expensive motherboard will be a faster CPU (and cheaper!) in most cases than an overclocked i5 8600K, Z370 board and cooler.

Your build looks good. I might consider going with a 960/970 EVO SSD instead, but your build as-listed is great.

Reactions: Ken g6 and whm1974

BHP_Kris

Jun 20, 2018
Hello everyone,

Great, thanks for the input! The reason I'm looking into the z370 board instead of the b360 is that they do not differ much in price here locally and I might want to swap CPUs in the future, so I was thinking that having the option to use and clock the CPU (as supported by the board) in the long run might be better, not sure if that way of thinking is right.

I see there's a 970 EVO ssd I might be able to get, though it says it's an NVMe m.2 connection. Will this drive fit into the motherboard and is it a better one than the 860 EVO SATA?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
That seems pretty reasonable, and does leave some options. That said, my machine hit 5 years old and I swapped out a 3770K for my 3570K. I noticed the extra threads in some things but frankly I can't tell a difference between stock clocks and overclocked, so I have an unlocked CPU in an unlocked board with an aftermarket cooler, running stock.

The i7 8700 non-K has a (1-core) turbo speed of 4.7ghz, considerably higher than the i5 8400's 4ghz. 4.7 is close to what you can reasonably get out of an unlocked CPU anyway, and if the board you pick supports MCE, it can (I believe) run all of the cores at that clockspeed. So, my inclination is to buy the 8700 to start with and not bother with the unlocked board. I don't think there will be any new chips released for that socket anyway?

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Reactions: whm1974

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
GPU - Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 AMP, 8GB GDDR5X (256-bit)

DO NOT GET THIS GPU.

Its horribly poor at cooling.
Zotac Engineers have no clue on how to properly cool a card.
Even the Amp Extreme has VReg issues.

I implore you to get a ASUS, or better yet eVGA counterpart.
If you can afford it the eVGA FTW series are typically over engineered to keep the card cool, backed by one of the best RMA / Service you can get from a video card vendor if you located in the US.

So in recommendation...

eVGA >>>> ASUS >= Gigabyte >>>> MSI > Zotac

Asus makes great stuff but the after service is a absolute JOKE.
Dont expect them to help you out at all, the CS is absolute garbage which is why i don't support them anymore.

SlowBox

Jul 4, 2018
You're going to want faster RAM (2800 speed or faster), and you'll need an 8600K or 8700K to overclock the CPU.

I disagree imo on the 2400Mhz is not enough he needs 2800Mhz. There will be 0 and I say 0 fps improvement in FPS. Okay maybe 1fps here and there. It's like telling someone who got a high end Rig... No 3200Mhz is not enough you must get 4133Mhz RAM. Pointless, only good for benchmarking. Thx

SlowBox

Jul 4, 2018
DO NOT GET THIS GPU.

Its horribly poor at cooling.
Zotac Engineers have no clue on how to properly cool a card.
Even the Amp Extreme has VReg issues.

I implore you to get a ASUS, or better yet eVGA counterpart.
If you can afford it the eVGA FTW series are typically over engineered to keep the card cool, backed by one of the best RMA / Service you can get from a video card vendor if you located in the US.

So in recommendation...

eVGA >>>> ASUS >= Gigabyte >>>> MSI > Zotac

Asus makes great stuff but the after service is a absolute JOKE.
Dont expect them to help you out at all, the CS is absolute garbage which is why i don't support them anymore.

Okay ASUS makes the best hardware, but unfortunately they make the worst software and have 0 software support and they don't update it, it is what it was when it first came out. ASUS is the worst when it comes to software and driver support. But when it comes to RMA, I have nothing but good to say about it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Okay ASUS makes the best hardware, but unfortunately they make the worst software and have 0 software support and they don't update it,
]
why does asus need to have software for a gpu?
thats nvidia's department.

i also agree with you on the no support, but asus's hardware is just straight up better then zotac.

however eVGA is also most definitely better then both, and they have awesome support, and a no hassle RMA process if your located in the US.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I disagree imo on the 2400Mhz is not enough he needs 2800Mhz. There will be 0 and I say 0 fps improvement in FPS. Okay maybe 1fps here and there. It's like telling someone who got a high end Rig... No 3200Mhz is not enough you must get 4133Mhz RAM. Pointless, only good for benchmarking. Thx
DDR4-2666 should be fine for the i5-8400, and why would you waste money on faster memory for what this CPU cost? Hell I wouldn't even buy anything faster then 3000/3200 anyway, way too expensive.

Who?Me?

Dec 27, 2015
I've been looking at upgrading my system recently, and have had that sinking feeling in a sea of information, too. Here's a few things I found (but won't quote, as it's all in German), plus some experience of my own

- Intel CPUs are better for running games for now and into the foreseeable future; when you want to combine it with streaming, the additional threads provided by AMD Ryzen CPUs start to matter, and further into the future, games may also become better at implementing multiple threads; in that sense Ryzen may be the more forward looking choice, but in 3 years time you may already want to upgrade anyway

- The Geforce 1080 may be outsized compared to the 8400 CPU; I personally would go with a 1070 and upgrade the storage instead (see below)

- if you want to use RAM with speeds exceeding 2666 MHz, that is considered overclocking with respect to Intel CPUs, and requires a Z370 board. B360 or H310 boards will run everything at 2666 max, no matter what RAM you throw at them. However, the increase in system speed you get from faster RAM is marginal with Intel CPUs, whereas system speed increases quite a bit with faster RAM (up to 3800 MHz if I remember well) in AMD Ryzen 2xxx systems

- Boxed coolers have in the past had a tendency to give you the feel of sitting near a starting F35 whenever the CPU was challenged. Silent operation has become the top issue for myself, as there are few things more bothersome than trying to hear your opponents' location but having their steps droned out by the CPU and/or GPU cooler. I use a Macho 90, and it keeps me happy. However, I may not be up to date on how well boxed coolers perform these days.

- I have a 250 GB SSD as my boot drive, and I'm constantly short of space on it. Many games do not ask you where they should store save games, and simply put them on C:\ Windows is getting bigger and bigger, too. Furthermore, I want to store some games on the SSD, and hence went for a 1 TB Samsung EVO 960. I recommend you buy at least a 500 GB (and a 970 by now, as the price difference between the 970 and the 960 has collapsed, http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compar...sung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-500GB/3949vsm493995), + 2 TB hard disk at least (Toshiba P300 High-Performance 2TB is one I've seen recommended repeatedly lately). The difference is approx. $ 100, but imho well worth it.

Reactions: Ken g6

SlowBox

Jul 4, 2018
]
why does asus need to have software for a gpu?
thats nvidia's department.

i also agree with you on the no support, but asus's hardware is just straight up better then zotac.

however eVGA is also most definitely better then both, and they have awesome support, and a no hassle RMA process if your located in the US.

Oh sorry, Im talking mobo. Thanks