Question New Gaming PC Advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soccer55

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2000
Looking to replace the system I built in 2012 (as noted here). This one would probably be around for the next 5-7 years as well.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Primarily for gaming. My kids like to play Fortnite and I like all sorts of games from FPS to MMO.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
<=$1000 is the goal, but could probably go up to $1200

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.
N/A

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
Not a fanboy of any particular brand, but have read that AMD Ryzen and nVidia are generally considered the top dogs right now.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
  • 2x 24" 1080p monitors
  • 7200 RPM HDD (storage)
  • Case
  • PSU (if a Seasonic SS-650KM will cut it for the build, otherwise, will need a new one)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Default speed

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
1080p

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.
Shooting for the end of this month/beginning of February

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
I may need Windows, depends on what I decide to do with the parts I'm replacing. I may throw them into a spare case w/PSU for one of my kids and they'll take the W10 license.

I was looking at the following parts thus far:
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
SSD: Silicon Power A80 1TB

The other two main components, I have some questions on:
GPU - I would probably be at 1660Ti or RTX 2060 in order to keep it close to or under $1k, but I'm not quite sure how much of a performance difference there is between these two or if there's an argument for moving up to a RTX 2070 (or something else entirely).
RAM - I feel like it used to be much easier to figure out which RAM to pair with a CPU/MB.....or maybe it's because I haven't looked at this stuff in ~7 years and haven't kept up with the progress in technology. What would be the RAM specs I'd look for? I saw a similar build in this forum that used DDR4-3600, but is it worth using say DDR4-4000 instead? Do I need to worry about timings? Kind of lost on this one.

After this, back to the PSU. Would a Seasonic SS-650KM be adequate given the CPU/MB/GPU power usage? If so, and there's no other reason to replace it, I won't need a PSU. Otherwise, I would take a PSU recommendation as well :)

I'm open to suggestions on any of these parts as I'm certainly not as well-informed as I'd like to be. As always, thank you in advance for your assistance and expertise.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I think I would feel more comfortable with the 20xx Nvidia card. From what we've been hearing, the 2nd gen Navi is going to be considerably different than all the first gens, featuring hardware raytracing and all sorts of refinements gleaned from their work on the PS5 and X1XX console APUs. This will leave OG Navis as 'old/limited' architecture, and while I have liked many AMD and previously ATI GPUs, I have seldom been impressed with their drivers or long term support.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
From what we've been hearing, the 2nd gen Navi is going to be considerably different than all the first gens, featuring hardware raytracing and all sorts of refinements gleaned from their work on the PS5 and X1XX console APUs. This will leave OG Navis as 'old/limited' architecture, and while I have liked many AMD and previously ATI GPUs, I have seldom been impressed with their drivers or long term support.
While I agree with you, mostly, if RDNA 1 and RDNA 2 are similar enough, it might be like the early GCN 1.0 GPUs (I forgot when they debuted.. 7770?) Anyways, the introduction of Bonaire (GCN 1.1) in the 260X card, didn't obsolete GCN 1.0 cards right away, in fact, they're still supported today, I believe.

Reactions: Arkaign

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I hope so. I mean I wouldn't expect them to just drop off a cliff or anything, but it's going to be silicon level evolution at a fairly base level. I'm still a little annoyed at how AMD just drop old GPUs entirely from support. I mean it's meaningless to most because I'm speaking of quite old stuff, but when I'm fixing stuff up for donations and free PCs for students/etc it's suboptimal lol.

Soccer55

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2000
Here's what I came up with swapping out the 3700X for a 3600:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.13 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($137.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1228.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-10 23:47 EST-0500

Over budget by $28, but I can make that work. Any other thoughts, suggestions, or things I should consider?

Reactions: Arkaign
Feb 4, 2009
Now, that is something I didn't catch. Which, will change the complexion a little regarding how you can spend your budget.

I can confirm this, my 3800x & asrock steel legend x570 would not power on at all without both cpu power cables attached.
Zero power on anything without both cables.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I can confirm this, my 3800x & asrock steel legend x570 would not power on at all without both cpu power cables attached.
Zero power on anything without both cables.

That's bizarre. I'm seeing people say that, but I don't have any issues using just the 8-pin cpu connector on my ASRock X570 Taichi running a 3950X. I wonder if it's a PSU thing?

Feb 4, 2009
That's bizarre. I'm seeing people say that, but I don't have any issues using just the 8-pin cpu connector on my ASRock X570 Taichi running a 3950X. I wonder if it's a PSU thing?

Maybe, I have a Seasonic gold 850 watt
Absolutely no power on anything with one cable attached.

aclos3

Jul 7, 2013
Noted, thanks for the advice! I assume you're recommending this kit over the one previously selected due to better memory timings?

I was just about to recommend the same thing. It is only a few dollars more and with better timings. Also, I am not sure your first choice is on the Asus QVL list for that board.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Noted, thanks for the advice! I assume you're recommending this kit over the one previously selected due to better memory timings?

Yes.

Also, your motherboard is QVL'd by G.Skill to work with their memory kit, so you shouldn't have any trouble. I didn't check if Asus QVL'd the kit for their board, but one or the other is enough in most cases.

Soccer55

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2000
Yes.

Also, your motherboard is QVL'd by G.Skill to work with their memory kit, so you shouldn't have any trouble. I didn't check if Asus QVL'd the kit for their board, but one or the other is enough in most cases.
ASUS did not, but since G.Skill did, I assumed that was enough.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
my stop-hitting-yourself Intel build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/67vX27

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600KF 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.88 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define C ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.63 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $881.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

im not the most experienced builder but i have it in my mind that this PC would play Fortnite just fine.

Soccer's build also looks ok, and pesonally i would swap out the 2700 Super for a cheaper GPU. Fortnite doesnt stutter because of system requirements, it stutters because it's coding garbage.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
"XXX ED"? LOL. Sex Ed.?

Edit: Jokes aside, why not MSI Ventus GTX 1650 Super? Oh, 8GB, I get it.
not really; i had to pick one, but the 1650 Super would do just as well. And really, these cards are only "midrange" in price, because their performance at 1080 is plenty for any decently-coded game.