New first person horror survival Game : Agony

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yea I've been keeping on eye on this. The visuals alone are pretty crazy. Between this and Scorn there should be some visual treats...can't say about gameplay yet.

blert

Sep 30, 2005
Great visuals but looks more like a walking sim than anything- kind of like Hellblade

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I can only make a guess from that long walking video, but it looks like Requiem: Avenging Angel from the 90's with updated graphics.

May 11, 2008
I can only make a guess from that long walking video, but it looks like Requiem: Avenging Angel from the 90's with updated graphics.

Well, if it looks good. I do not mind.
Sometimes the older games were quite good. For that time state of the art visuals and good story.
I am still hoping for a modern remake (but with a different story of course) of shadow man. :)

But then again, Clive Barker's Jericho also has a lot of gore and blood.
I admit it, i like gore and blood in games and movies.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The game is now available on steam. I am thinking of buying it.

If you do, be sure to post back here whether it's worth it or not. I'm on the fence about getting it as well, but I think I will wait for someone else to be the guinea pig first (hint, that's you). ;)

May 11, 2008
If you do, be sure to post back here whether it's worth it or not. I'm on the fence about getting it as well, but I think I will wait for someone else to be the guinea pig first (hint, that's you). ;)
It has 10 percent off until june 5. It costs 26.99 euro here.
I am going to read some reviews and see how keybindings and settings are. And how many levels and variety in visuals.

Reactions: UsandThem

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Some of the key bindings can be changed but not all of them. The 4 way movement of forward, back, left and right are just two sets, WASD or the four arrow keys. That's ok for many gamers like me, I like the arrow keys but you can't remap them to any others.

You can change these 11 keys: You can remap the Jump, Sprint, Hold Breath, Light Attack, Strong Attack, Stealth, Destiny Lines, Interact, Camera Zoom, Throw, and Soul Vision. You can remap them to letters, shift, ctrl, alt, punctuation keys, and the numpad keys (except numpad enter.)

But you can't remap them to enter, backspace, insert, home, page up, page down, delete, end, and function keys. So if you're really bothered by not being able to map keys to enter, backspace and the others I mentioned, that could be an issue. But you have all those others that work.

You can't change these three keys: You can't remap the Mapping, Menu, and Camera keys (mouse is set for camera.)

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i sat through most of a walkthrough; since this is basically a walking simulator, i had the experience, without paying.

You wake up in hell. And you walk around and do basic quests, such as "grab the skull from room A, place on altar at room B". I did not see any other gameplay. Think Myst but easier.
think Insomnia but without the monster.

Scorn
is similar but actually has gameplay elements to it.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Visuals are good and the gameplay looks insane. last time I had a similar feeling was for suffering ties that bind.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm going to hold off. The reviews overall are pretty grim. Mostly that aside from the first few hours of "wow look at that" that the gameplay sucks, bugs(stuck on objects) and way too dark.

That being said though, I guess this was a group of 9 devs?

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
WTF is this? Looks like a psychotic schizophrenic made this game, very grotesque

May 11, 2008
i sat through most of a walkthrough; since this is basically a walking simulator, i had the experience, without paying.

You wake up in hell. And you walk around and do basic quests, such as "grab the skull from room A, place on altar at room B". I did not see any other gameplay. Think Myst but easier.
think Insomnia but without the monster.

Scorn
is similar but actually has gameplay elements to it.

I am definitely going to keep track on scorn. Thank's. :D
In the mean time i am hoping that the developers from agony will add keybindings with a later patch. It is not that the unreal engine itself has no keybindings option.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I hear Agony basically pissed off the entire backer community by selling to a publisher where they neutered the entire game so it would be console portable.

Its gotten a ton of bad reviews and feedback on steam.

Personally on ethics alone of what those Dev's did, i will not support it.
I understand they wanted money, no one does anything without a line of profit.
However they should of worked with the publishers they sold to, to not neuter it on PC and keep it as promised.

But it has gotten a major censorship thoughout the game, a lot of the gore has been removed, an its a downhill rollercoaster ride for this label, just because the publishers felt they needed to level the playground with consoles, and neuter both platforms equally.

I read a comment somewhere where they said... the game "Agony" has now turned into "Annoyance" as a metaphor in how much they cut out of the game. LOL...

May 11, 2008
I hear Agony basically pissed off the entire backer community by selling to a publisher where they neutered the entire game so it would be console portable.

Its gotten a ton of bad reviews and feedback on steam.

Personally on ethics alone of what those Dev's did, i will not support it.
I understand they wanted money, no one does anything without a line of profit.
However they should of worked with the publishers they sold to, to not neuter it on PC and keep it as promised.

But it has gotten a major censorship thoughout the game, a lot of the gore has been removed, an its a downhill rollercoaster ride for this label, just because the publishers felt they needed to level the playground with consoles, and neuter both platforms equally.

I read a comment somewhere where they said... the game "Agony" has now turned into "Annoyance" as a metaphor in how much they cut out of the game. LOL...

That is a deal breaker for me, especially with the keybindings issue.
I also read yesterday on the wikipage from the game that the developers wanted to provide the full version of the game for the pc but didn't to prevent legal issues. That probably means that if they released the full version for the pc, that the console community would have sued.
THey had to cut down the gore to get a pegi rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agony_(2018_video_game)

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Heard some bad voodoo about this game. Notably about how dark the game is, that even torches don't light up the area correctly. Looks like a slow moving Doom 3 game but too dark to see and a confusing environment. I'll pass, here's hopes for Scorn.