New fandangled PC power splitter.

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
I was at CompUSA looking at there pimped out system and noticed a new kind of Y splitter for the fans and cold cathodes. It was a standard Molex 4 pin connector that plugged into a hard drive and the +/- 12v wires came out the side of the connector and ran to a fan. Then you plug the 4 pin connector from the PS into it to power the hard drive. This seemed cool to me and it seems like it would keep the clutter down some instead of using the traditional Y splitter.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
That'd be the +12V and ground wires. There aren't any -12V wires on a molex. :) And 3-pin fan connectors, 4-pin floppy connectors, and 4-pin hard drive connectors are molex type. :)

Sounds like something people have always assumed ought to be available but never was. Aside from few splitters using a 3-pin connector, it's nice to not have another 3 inches of wire going to the hard drive from the splitter.

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Yeah, the +/- thing. ;) I knew better but was posting in a hurry. I'll have to search around Molex's website if no one here has used them. The are definitely something worth investigating.