New EVGA Power Supplies Announced (GD series)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.evga.com/articles/01329/evga-gd-psu/

Outside of the unfortunate naming they chose (because we need some GD power supplies! :p), it appears these are budget gold units.

There are no reviews I can find, but so far the specs are:

-5 year warranty.
-Non-Modular
-Japanese main capacitor (likely Chinese or Taiwanese secondary capacitors).
-Features OCP, OVP, OTP, OPP, and SCP protections.
-Available in 500w, 600w, and 700w units.
-MSRP prices are $69.99, $79.99, and $89.99 (EVGA is offering a $10 discount if purchased directly on their website).

100-GD-0700-V1_XL_1.jpg

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Looks nice!! EVGA as a whole is not a bad company at all!! But hopefully this will be an improvement that will move them into the top teir of PSU`s!! Plus it is non modular....

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Looks nice!! EVGA as a whole is not a bad company at all!! But hopefully this will be an improvement that will move them into the top teir of PSU`s!! Plus it is non modular....

They are already in the top tier (at least with the Super Flower made G2/G3/P2 series). These units look like they are marketing them to people who are considering one of their bronze rated units to instead pay a little extra stepping up to these gold units.

These look OK spec wise, however when I buy power supplies, I personally only consider units that use only Japanese capacitors. Those have best track record / reputation, and almost all top-tier models from all the various manufacturers use those exclusively.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I agree with most of what you said, but when it comes to their own EVGA brand a lot of reviews I have read are not convincing!
But all Japanese caps is a great start!!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I agree with most of what you said, but when it comes to their own EVGA brand a lot of reviews I have read are not convincing!
But all Japanese caps is a great start!!

Bad reviews on which of their units?

I know their entry-level and mid-range models are so-so, but I've only seen highly positive reviews for their Super Flower made units.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Bad reviews on which of their units?

I know their entry-level and mid-range models are so-so, but I've only seen highly positive reviews for their Super Flower made units.
Bingo -- entry lebel and mid range models.....I have nothing to say about the Super Flower units!! :)

Reactions: UsandThem

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wonder how these compare to Rosewill Capstone PSUs, which are also 80Plus Gold with a 5-year warranty, and I think that those are even semi-modular to boot. Bought a few of those last BF, they were fairly inexpensive. I don't remember if the Capstone had Japanese caps, but I think that it did.