NEW end game WoW raidinginfo here.

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Oldie but goodie. I typed up a in-depth explanation of the picture for non-WoW/non-raiding people, but halfway through it just became too complicated explaining every single terms so I stopped. Good stuff.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: dighn
the most perplexing are the water coolers

Mages can conjure food and water for the raid so often times they are referred to as water coolers or vending machines.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Originally posted by: timosyy
Oldie but goodie. I typed up a in-depth explanation of the picture for non-WoW/non-raiding people, but halfway through it just became too complicated explaining every single terms so I stopped. Good stuff.

it can't be that hard...
There are 3 parts to most boss fights:
Tanking
Healing
DPS (damage per second)

Basically, you want the boss hitting someone with high armor and health, called the tank (generally a warrior). Tanking refers to the Tank keeping the boss hitting him instead of running off to hit anyone else.
Healers... heal (duh)
DPS plays a balancing act with the tank - doing damage to the boss, but not too much to cause the boss start attacking you instead of the tank.

and you'll have the formula to all boss encounters in wow up to twin emps.

god i'm so glad i quit that game -.-"

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: makken
Originally posted by: timosyy

it can't be that hard...
There are 3 parts to most boss fights:
Tanking
Healing
DPS (damage per second)

Basically, you want the boss hitting someone with high armor and health, called the tank (generally a warrior). Tanking refers to the Tank keeping the boss hitting him instead of running off to hit anyone else.
Healers... heal (duh)
DPS plays a balancing act with the tank - doing damage to the boss, but not too much to cause the boss start attacking you instead of the tank.

and you'll have the formula to all boss encounters in wow up to twin emps.

god i'm so glad i quit that game -.-"

yeah i'm sure everyone knows exactly what everything in that pic means by your description now. :roll:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn
the most perplexing are the water coolers

Since you don't play (at least I hope you don't and not get the reference).

In battle, mages are asked for water alot.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Since you don't play (at least I hope you don't and not get the reference).

In battle, mages are asked for water alot.

I thought it may be best if I elaborate on this as it may still seem confusing.

One of the mage class' ability is to summon (in the game, it's referred to as conjuring) food (restores HP) and water (restores Mana). This not only benefits people who play with the mage, but highly benefits the mage, as he saves money while out on the field! This may sound like a blessing, but it is also an evil force as well. Mages typically receive tells (i.e. a whisper, a message sent from one player to another. Akin to a PM here) asking for food and/or water. Albeit, conjuring the food and/or water costs absolutely nothing for the mage, people seem to expect that food and/or water (especially water) should be readily available for their consumption. This typically comes without the praise from the receiving party and ends up becoming the bane of the mage as he's reduced from a person to a mere water cooler, as his job is to give anyone water if they need it, since it's free.

If this is also the same diagram that I've seen before, then there's also a couple other things that may be awkward to a non-WoW player. Such as the "AFK" above the hunters' head. Those show how a hunter can sit around and pretty much do nothing and attack a boss. Although a rogue can do that as well, if the boss is moved away from the rogue's close range, they can no longer attack.

The whole mention of "Feral" is a spec (a way to spend points that differentiate one player of a certain class from another member of the same class) that focuses on physical damage and escalating the prowess of the Druid class' animal forms. A lot of players (especially rogues) tend to see Feral druids as the greedy classes that don't ever want to heal and always attempt to out damage the rogues.

The whole mention of needing a heal relates to the fact that most healers suck and never heal the tank (the person with high armor who can take the damage without dying). Without said tank, the boss typically goes to whoever else pissed him off and keeps killing them one by one. This is what we call a wipe, and much akin to a "wipe out" in snowboarding or skating, they're not enjoyable and preferably we don't like them happening.