New email server and SMTP printer problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Oyeve, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

So, a couple of weeks ago our win2k3 exchange server blew up. Since then I installed a win2008 server and loaded up exchange 2010 on it. I have spent the last 2 weeks fixing all of the issues, mostly from legacy 2000 and 2003 schemas. Other than a few contact lists gone awry my next biggest concern is our scanner. It is your typical network scanner/copier/printer. I had it set last year will all of our email addresses and had it send from one customerservice email address via SMTP. It does not work right now and the printer just says email sending failed with no reason. The email address works as I have tested it thoutoughly but I come from w2k3 and have not much knowlegde of SMTP on 2008 and 2010. HELP!

2. Loading...

3. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

That or configure the printer to actually authenticate. I also highly recommend that you use an ACL of some sort to make sure you don't become an open relay on the internet.

4. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

The printer was set up to authenticate. It was set up to use and email address for the send. This is what is borked. I am not familiar yet with these new servers. I am old school AD.

5. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

Does the printer have an AD account assigned to it?

6. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

The printer is just networked. In the printer settings I just setup SMTP with my exchange OWA settings, mail.mycompany.com like, ofcourse my rel companies name is not mycompany. There are fields for login name and PW and they are correct but since the new server went in its fubared.

7. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

You will likely need to turn on the logging from the Exchange side and see what the issue is. Is it showing anything in the log about that account? You would also need to know if you have encryption set up, does the printer support it etc. You also would need to verify that the printer can reach the new server.

Test with telnet using something like this:

http://www.ndchost.com/wiki/mail/test-smtp-auth-telnet

and see if the machine can even login.

8. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

9. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

Be 100% sure you get the IP rules set on that. Otherwise your domain will spam blocked faster than you can read this post.