new E7400 running a bit hot?

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
Hey all

I just bought an C2D E7400 with a gigabyte board that has a passive NB, SB, and mosfet cooler. I'm using the stock intel heatsink and paste with the cpu smart fan on. I'm getting Idle temps of 37c for chipset and 35c for the CPU. I'm wondering if this is kind of hot? would reseating the heatsink with AC5 help at all? I realize the stock intel sink is junk but I thought I'd get temps lower than that for a 45nm cpu. I have 1 intake and exhaust fan so there is proper air flow, and I have it all in a full tower with clean cable management.

I've been looking at aftermarket coolers but they all seem to be the 450g and up top heavy variety which personally I don't like. I would prefer something with a lower profile. The Asus V72 peaked my interest and the price is right for me. I also like that it comes with a backplate which seems like something most other HSF of this price range are lacking.

Any thoughts? Should I be worried about these stock temps? Also the stock intel HSF seems to be bending my board slightly... Is this normal that it should be putting that much pressure on my PCB?

Forgive my ignorance as this is my first intel processor.

-Ray

Oh and also the clip that holds the cpu on the board seemed a bit tight when I latched it too... I noticed it was slightly bent right out of the box so I assumed this was a design aspect of the socket, however it did make a creaking sound when it fully locked.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Idle temps of 35C are absolutely fine, although they don't really mean anything. You need to load the cpu and check the load temps.
If you didn't sit the cooler properly idle temps should be much higher.

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
Thanks for the reply

I actually hadn't even installed the OS yet and it was sitting in the bios as I took the idle temp which if I'm correct is always much higher than during normal operation. Upon entering the OS I loaded HWMonitor and the cpu temp is now reading 26C so that seems fine now, I'll take a load in prime95 when everything gets installed. I'm still wondering about the latching system for the socket, should it be so tight? It put a couple knicks on the edges of my cpu from where it applied pressure to it. The stock cooler also seems to warp the motherboard slightly.. Is this normal? not sure how I could have messed up installation, everything seemed to seat correctly and there is nothing obstructing the heatsink.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: mentalcrisis00
Thanks for the reply

I actually hadn't even installed the OS yet and it was sitting in the bios as I took the idle temp which if I'm correct is always much higher than during normal operation. Upon entering the OS I loaded HWMonitor and the cpu temp is now reading 26C so that seems fine now, I'll take a load in prime95 when everything gets installed. I'm still wondering about the latching system for the socket, should it be so tight? It put a couple knicks on the edges of my cpu from where it applied pressure to it. The stock cooler also seems to warp the motherboard slightly.. Is this normal? not sure how I could have messed up installation, everything seemed to seat correctly and there is nothing obstructing the heatsink.

A lot of people don't like stock coolers for that exact reason. First time I ever got a 775 cpu, I thought I was going to snap the board when mounting it.
As long as all the push-pins are latched and you can't lift any corner of the cooler it should be fine.

And yes you are correct idle temps in bios will be higher than in windows.