New DSL user...what kind of Firewall should I have?

WordSmith2000

Banned
May 4, 2001
Here is the situation. I have three pc?s in my home and currently use a dialup ISP. In a couple of weeks, I will be getting DSL. I have a DSL router with a 10/100 switch built in, and am currently using it for gaming and file/printer sharing. I am pretty sure that the Netgear Router has a hardware firewall; but that really is not enough, is it? What kind of firewall protection should I use? I currently am using Norton Antivirus as required by my company; will that make a difference in the choice of a firewall?

Thanks for your help!

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
Hardware firewalls like a router are usually more secure than software ones....

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
I hvae not used a software firewall before but I do have the Linksys router / firewal..not sure how good that is though.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
If you setup the hardware firewall correctly then it should be enough. If you're paranoid, you could run BlackIce Defender or Zonealarm on the pc.

amish

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I'm using the hardware firewall in my netgear router, attack reports in Black Ice have stopped. Make sure you change the password in the router before you go live with the DSL, as a router with a factory password is an easy target

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Does that router do NAT? If so your machine will be given a non internet routable ip address likes 192.168.0.1, etc.