New Doom3 trailer in January Playboy

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Wow. I want this game. I don't care if HL2 ever comes out if I can get my hands on this. As usual, Carmack owns all.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
So if you buy the Jan PB you get a CD or something with the Doom 3 trailor? If so, I might have to get one, heh.

I don't know about buying it, but I would assume so. (I have been a subscriber since the mid 80s) It has the new Doom3 trailer, and a Call of Duty demo.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
this months CGW has a few pages on doom3, some new screenies and interesting info on the game...go for this if you arent oold enough for playboy

or cant find someone who is old enought o buy you one...

Alptraum

Golden Member
Sep 18, 2002
So if you buy the Jan PB you get a CD or something with the Doom 3 trailor? If so, I might have to get one, heh.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
It is just the E3 trailer.

http://planetdoom.com/

Hi-Res E3 Trailer on Cover DVD's
17:01 PST | Cyric
There have been a few magazines hitting the shelves lately that have a hi-res version of the DOOM 3 trailer that was shown at this years E3. The trailer is crystal clear at 640 x 480 resolution and so far has been bagged with the January issue of Computer Gaming World and the 50th Anniversary issue of Playboy. If the trailer is included with other magazines, we will be sure to let you know as we learn of them.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Skip Playboy and head straight for CGW. The Doom3 E3 trailer is on the DVD that comes with the magazine(high res, 171MB and about 3 minutes IIRC) along with full versions of DeusEX, DarkAge of Camelot, Warlords Battlecry, the original DooM, America's Army 1.9(I know it's free, but it is nice for us DU users) and ThiefII The Metal Age. It also has demos for a few other games(RoTK, War of the Rings, XIII and Lords of Evercrack).

I paid $8.99 for this months(dated January) issue of CGW and really you could just pay the money and throw the mag away if you don't like it, the DVD that it comes with is an insanely good deal.

DarkKnight

Golden Member
Apr 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Skip Playboy and head straight for CGW. The Doom3 E3 trailer is on the DVD that comes with the magazine(high res, 171MB and about 3 minutes IIRC) along with full versions of DeusEX, DarkAge of Camelot, Warlords Battlecry, the original DooM, America's Army 1.9(I know it's free, but it is nice for us DU users) and ThiefII The Metal Age. It also has demos for a few other games(RoTK, War of the Rings, XIII and Lords of Evercrack).

I paid $8.99 for this months(dated January) issue of CGW and really you could just pay the money and throw the mag away if you don't like it, the DVD that it comes with is an insanely good deal.

yeah but playboy has naked girls!!!! :D

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
It's an Id software game.

From all the previews, it looks like it'll suck just as bad as all the other games they've ever made (excepting the original Doom of course).

No thanks. They can keep this swill.

Id, for god's sake, your games are bad, but your tech is great. Just make and license engines ffs.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
What are you talking about, quake 3 is one of the best games ever made, it is still played in mass amounts by people, has countless mods, it is still used in benchmarks as well. Quake 3 is an ID game, Doom 3 is an ID game. ID is a GOOD company, not bad, whatever moron told you ID is bad, well I feel sorry for you as you dont get to experience it.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Q3 has a great engine. But anyone who thinks the base Q3 game (not mods, not other games built on the engine) has anything resembling compelling gameplay is on crack. I don't know if you haven't noticed, but they've been making the same game repeatedly since Wolfenstein -- run around, kill things, find key, flip switch, next level. Lather, rinse, repeat. With Q3 they simply removed the "find key/flip switch" part and made the levels smaller and the AI slightly less inept.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
All quake 3 is, is the multi player part of other games. People liked the multi player modes so much, ID made a game based solely on multi player. Quake 3 has great gameplay. The best FPS players in the World play Quake 3, you wanna see some real skill, watch some Pro Quake 3 players, the pro quake 3 players make the best ut2k3 player in the world look like a noob. Quake 3, does nothing new, but it a rock solid, very balanced game, which makes it's multiplayer aspect so appealing, find me one review under 9/10 from a reliable site.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: dguy6789
All quake 3 is, is the multi player part of other games. People liked the multi player modes so much, ID made a game based solely on multi player. Quake 3 has great gameplay. The best FPS players in the World play Quake 3, you wanna see some real skill, watch some Pro Quake 3 players, the pro quake 3 players make the best ut2k3 player in the world look like a noob. Quake 3, does nothing new, but it a rock solid, very balanced game, which makes it's multiplayer aspect so appealing, find me one review under 9/10 from a reliable site.

I doubt your claim that "The best FPS players in the World play Quake 3", considering that the biggest FPS-based competition in the world (The CPL) uses Counter-Strike. Q3 at the high end, from what I've seen, is mostly a game of run-n-gun twitch railgun duels. CS at least allows *some* amount of strategy to influence the gameplay.

In any case, you said it yourself:

All quake 3 is, is the multi player part of other games.
Quake 3 does nothing new

id took an *awesome* engine and built basically the thinnest, cheapest multiplayer deathmatch possible on top of it. It didn't even come with a CTF mode out of the box! And I wasn't even thrilled about the level design when compared to UT2K3. As a game engine, and for its modding possibilities, Q3 was a huge success. As a standalone game, I never found it particularly appealing.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Unreal Tournament outsold Quake 3 in the UK.

Unreal Tournament is for the people that can't handle the speed of quake3... and that can't aim so they have to shoot 5 rockets at once..

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker

Best. Bundle. Ever. Deus Ex, for free? Is the game that old?!

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
yeah but playboy has naked girls!!!!
Agreed. :)

From all the previews, it looks like it'll suck just as bad as all the other games they've ever made (excepting the original Doom of course).
The Quake series absolutely rocked.

anyone who thinks the base Q3 game (not mods, not other games built on the engine) has anything resembling compelling gameplay is on crack.
Vanilla Quake III is one of the top games I've ever played in terms of how many hours I've spent on it.

It didn't even come with a CTF mode out of the box
Quake III was designed to deliver the ultimate deathmatch experience and that's exactly what it does.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K
yeah but playboy has naked girls!!!!
Agreed. :)

The Quake series absolutely rocked.

anyone who thinks the base Q3 game (not mods, not other games built on the engine) has anything resembling compelling gameplay is on crack.
Vanilla Quake III is one of the top games I've ever played in terms of how many hours I've spent on it.

It didn't even come with a CTF mode out of the box
Quake III was designed to deliver the ultimate deathmatch experience and that's exactly what it does.

<faints dead away>

BFG and I agree 100% on a post.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Just an update to let everyone know that you can now download this at fileplanet, fileshack, etc.

Also the Doom3 site is up now.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe I'm alone but I liked the original UT multiplayer much better than Quake or Quake 2. When UT2K3 came out it seemed like they tried to make a prettier Quake-style game and I really didn't get into it. To me the "super duper turbo lightning fast insta-kill" action style just isn't fun. And basic deathmatch is just "yawn" - like online smear-the-queer and I quit playing that like 25 years ago.

I like a game with an excellent single player experience and good team-based multiplayer where the players have to work together to win. My all time favorite multiplayer game is CTF Tribes with the Renegades mod applied to the server. That took teamwork and strategy. I haven't been playing much multiplayer since Tribes began to fade away. Going to checkout America's Army 2.0 though. Just kinda a PITA having to qualify for all the different classes.

Just checked out the Doom3 trailer. Saw it before but it still looks good. Looking forward to playing the single player. The baddies climbing around on the walls is way creepy! Will be playing at night with the lights dim and headphones on for the full experience. :)