New desk is cutting my wrists, any suggestions?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Ive had a nice, solid oak desk for the past 5 years. It was a real solid peice of furniture. I think my parents paid $2000 or so for it. I got rid of this weekend and bought a cheap glass/metal desk at Office Depot.

I bought this

Its a great desk. My only real complaint is that the edge of teh keyboard shelf is really sharp and its cutting my wrists. How do you guys combat this? And no, holding my wrists in teh air isnt an option.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Of your old desk, you said:

It was a real solid piece of furniture.

and that your parents paid $2K for it.

Why on earth did you ditch such a fine piece of furniture for some POS do-it-yourself glass futuristic craptastic desk from Office Depot?

:confused:

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you need a higher chair
you need to grow taller
you need to cover the edge with foam
you need to move you keyboard farther in, from the edge

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MichaelD

Why on earth did you ditch such a fine piece of furniture for some POS do-it-yourself glass futuristic craptastic desk from Office Depot?

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
what about one of those gel keyboard pads? or does that not work with that keyboard tray? i can't get a larger view of the desk.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: MichaelD

2 reasons really

1) The nice desk was pretty limited in space and I couldnt push my CRTs very far back because the hutch had a backing to it. The screen was only a few inches from the edge of the desk.

2) I do most of my homework at this desk. My old desk didnt offer much space (I actually worked on the keyboard shelf). This keyboard shelf was 3" lower than the standard height. You can imagine that Ive been doing homework hunched over. Bad for the back.

Oh and I didnt ditch it. My mom put it in the living room for her new computer. She actaully bought the crappy new desk for herself, but we both decided it would be better to switch.

mindmaniac

Dec 30, 2003
Gel-wrist rest. I've got the same problem at home using my mouse. It makes my wrist really hurt, but I'm too lazy to buy a rest for it.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JToxic
And no, holding my wrists in teh air isnt an option.

Do you have a medical reason for this? You will type better and be less susceptible to RSI if you keep your wrists elevated when you type. It takes awhile to develop the strength, but it is well worth it.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Man . . . you guys are harsh. (And LOL!)

To the OP: Can you install a keyboard tray?

suse920

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
press harder
nearly bleed to death
go to hospital
sue officemax and or desk company

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Bah, that's the problem with 99% of all cheaper desks. Why haven't the designers bothered to think that you'll have your arms resting right on that sharp 90° corner? It really frustrates me when I have to use something like that.