New Deadbolt - Match my existing key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I am installing a new deadbolt on my garage.
How can I make my existing house deadbolt key work with it?
I hope I don't have to replace all of the deadbolts in my house so they all match...

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
you should have purchased the smartkey deadbolt/key set over at home depot. you can match your old key to the new lock with a small tool that comes with the set.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: rasczak
you should have purchased the smartkey deadbolt/key set over at home depot. you can match your old key to the new lock with a small tool that comes with the set.
I haven't purchased it yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Most retailers can match your current key to a new deadbolt by re-keying the new set. It is a brand specific deal tho. As different manufactirers use different key styles. Any hardware store should be able to do it. If I was near you and you had a schlage set I could do it for you as I have a schlage rekey set with numerous pins.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: edro
I am installing a new deadbolt on my garage.
How can I make my existing house deadbolt key work with it?
I hope I don't have to replace all of the deadbolts in my house so they all match...

If you don't mind changing all the locks you can use change-a-lock (http://changealock.com/) for about $11. Going to be your cheapest option if you can't find a FREE alternative.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Most retailers can match your current key to a new deadbolt by re-keying the new set. It is a brand specific deal tho. As different manufactirers use different key styles. Any hardware store should be able to do it. If I was near you and you had a schlage set I could do it for you as I have a schlage rekey set with numerous pins.

This. Cake for any hardware store that has keying equipment(read: most all).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
depends on old vs new locks. If you have the same type, it's easy...if you went from a 5 pin to a 6 pin or different make then maybe impossible.

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
Or you could burn down the garage. No need for a new deadbolt then.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Juddog
Locksmith.

Yep. If they're the same brand, a locksmith can re-key the new lockset to match your existing keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.