New Daily Show Host

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
If Trevor Noah can continue the brutal honesty and satire while discussing our politics and pointing out the hypocrsy across the country like Stewart, he'll win.

He's gong to have to be pretty brutal and not pussy foot anything.

Keep the videos used alongside commentary where context is removed and selective editing is employed as a handicap where needed and there's some buffer he can use to keep a 30min entertaining show full of some bite.

Feb 6, 2007
What is this fad of naming people with an ampersand sign in front of their names these days? It's very strange and I think it is just yet another fad that will embarrass us in the future, like Jams and MC Hammer.

Ampersand - &

At - @

Yes, that was exceedingly grammar Nazi-ish, and I realize you were making a tongue-in-cheek joke, but whatever. Learn your symbols!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
John Stewart was the Daily Show. Probably won't survive this incarnation.

I hate to agree with that, but I do.

The awesomeness that is the Daily Show came about because of him, to say nothing of the man's personal mark left on entertainment, politics and media. I seriously believe the only people who could sustain the show in it's true glory are Colbert or Oliver. Beyond those two, I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show will be the end of an incredible era. The forces of shitty "journalism," corporate greed and political incompetence will likely be able to breathe a little easier without Stewart doing his thing the way only he can, and we'll all be poorer for it. Even his critics.

I wish I could say I understand the choice of Noah, but having seen some of his stand up then his recent appearances on The Daily Show itself, gotta say I'm a little baffled.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Was really dwelling on the whole thing after that last post, so I decided to do some more reading on the guy. Yeah, I can see why Stewart wanted him now. This could work out after all, but I still have reservations. I need to see him debate someone of note first.

From http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/30/how-trevor-noah-won-the-daily-show.html

Comic and Vice television host Jim Norton—who has spent time with Noah at New York’s Comedy Cellar and on the defunct Opie & Anthony radio show where Norton was a regular—also praised the selection.

“He’s a funny guy, he looks good on camera, he’s very original, so it’s not a surprising choice,” Norton told The Daily Beast. “The fact that he was able to develop into a good comedian so fast is a pretty strong statement about how he good he is. His material is well thought-out. He’s got a great energy. And he doesn’t force his opinions; he’s certainly not a guy who muscles his jokes—which is perfect for television.”

Norton added: “He’s smart, and he’s got an interesting take on things. He comes from a place that is really unique—the kind of place where most comedians don’t come from. Even the ones who come from a bad environment here in America don’t come from active segregation.”

Noah, whose mother is a black South African of the Xhosa ethnic group while his father is a white Swiss-German, grew up in the black Soweto townships during apartheid, when his parents’ race-mixing was illegal.
They risked arrest if they were seen together in public, and his mother was periodically thrown in jail.

“I was born a crime,” he notes during his routine, in which he displays his sharp eye and keen ear for cultural observation along with a talent for pitch-perfect mimicry; his ghetto and white-bread American accents are pretty convincing, along with his Latino and Russian impersonations. Off stage and on he speaks fluent German along with five different South African languages.

Noah has been toiling as a standup for only about eight years—an astonishingly brief work history to have reached the pinnacle in a business where it often takes decades to hone material and performance skills.
In the past couple of years, he has been appearing at comedy clubs all across the United States—more than 40 states at last count, more than many Americans have visited.

A big star in his native South Africa, and a celebrity of sorts in Europe and other countries where he regularly performs—he was in transit from a gig in Dubai to a gig in Oman as the news of his new job broke in The New York Times—Noah acknowledged during a recent Comedy Central podcast that he knows next to nothing about domestic American politics.

Ganeless said that Noah’s apparent lack of familiarity with The Daily Show’s bread and butter—on which Stewart is something of an obsessive, if not a scholar—won’t be a problem.

“He will quickly bring his own specific take to it,” she predicted. “He’s a student of our culture, as well as of the world, and, working with the deep team that writes for the show. He will have no trouble pointed out the absurdities of our political system.”

Noah’s start date—and Stewart’s depature—were the only things Ganeless seemed unsure of.

“That’s a good question,” she said. “As soon as we figure that out, we’ll let you know.”

I'll gladly give the guy a chance, I just don't want to watch the show wither away into irrelevance, I can't do it man!

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What makes the daily show work is that it was able to take politics and break it down and highlight it's ridiculousness and hypocrisy. What made Stewart great was his ability to bring on talent who could help illustrate those absurdities.

Almost anyone can do the actual job Stewart does at the desk itself, it's the behind the scenes that concerns me.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The main question I have for the man is him headlining an American political/cultural show without being American himself. There are so many bits that are centered around pop culture (such as Stewart mocking Trump for eating pizza with a fork, or blasting Chicago style pizza as "a fking casserole...an above ground marinara swimming pool for rats" hahaha)

OTOH, Oliver killed it, Stewart had an eye for talent, so we'll see.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My biggest problem with the guy? Everything I've seen from him, he's not funny. I'll give him a chance, but his sense of humor seems infantile.

Nov 8, 2012
Sooo... I downloaded a random stand-up of this new guy.

If his real character is anything like his stand-up, it's going to suck. Sorry, but I wasn't the least bit entertained by his stand-up. Which, keep in mind, is something that isn't written by a bunch of daily show writers.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My biggest problem with the guy? Everything I've seen from him, he's not funny. I'll give him a chance, but his sense of humor seems infantile.

Sort of my impression also. Everybody gets a vote (ratings). Time will tell.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Sooo... I downloaded a random stand-up of this new guy.

If his real character is anything like his stand-up, it's going to suck. Sorry, but I wasn't the least bit entertained by his stand-up. Which, keep in mind, is something that isn't written by a bunch of daily show writers.

Have you seen Stewarts stand up? I haven't seen either but I'm curious if Stewarts stand up is funny.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
What makes the daily show work is that it was able to take politics and break it down and highlight it's ridiculousness and hypocrisy. What made Stewart great was his ability to bring on talent who could help illustrate those absurdities.

Almost anyone can do the actual job Stewart does at the desk itself, it's the behind the scenes that concerns me.

+1 From the segments I've seen T. Noah has good delivery and timing. Decent supporting player. Time will tell if he can carry the show.

John Oliver over the summer last year was not too good. Glad he isn't the new host. Tina Fey either. She sucks.

I miss Colbert.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
+1 From the segments I've seen T. Noah has good delivery and timing. Decent supporting player. Time will tell if he can carry the show.

John Oliver over the summer last year was not too good. Glad he isn't the new host. Tina Fey either. She sucks.

I miss Colbert.

That's kind of a surprising thing to hear. Most people seemed to agree that John Oliver did a fantastic job filling in. I personally enjoyed him quite a bit. Sure, he wasn't as good as Stewart, but very few are. I'm not sure how I feel about Noah, not a big enough sample size so far.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ohh cool, I saw Trever Noah doing some stand up before he came over to the Daily show, and i've seen his bits on the daily show as well. I think he is very very funny, and if hes witty with interviews, he will be a fine replacement assuming that a lot of the writing staff sticks around.

I assumed Oliver was going to stay on HBO, and with Colbert on the late show and Carrell and Helms and Cordry doing movies... and Larry Wilmore just got his show shortly ago" so if they were going to move him up, theyd need to fill that spot
Anyhow, I think when they first brought Noah on, they brought him on for the big chair. He is an excellent stand up comic, and If he is taking over for the daily show, I think we will be pleased. He may not be our #1 best possible candidate (Johnny Carson is dead, George Carlin is dead, etc), but he is a very funny man.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ohh, one other comment, my "perfect" ideal host would be Karl Pilkington.

LOL, while I'd love to see Karl have his own talk show, I don't think TDS is the one. :D

"All this politics business is bollocks! It's doin me head in!"

cba4a8bceb29442d7c9f117d7aa1bb3b89e829a82c8b9bd61a5d83c06743f2ce.jpg

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
LOL, while I'd love to see Karl have his own talk show, I don't think TDS is the one. :D

"All this politics business is bollocks! It's doin me head in!"

cba4a8bceb29442d7c9f117d7aa1bb3b89e829a82c8b9bd61a5d83c06743f2ce.jpg

ANY show with Karl is pretty much the perfect show... Derek Season 1, magical, one of the crowning achievements of television, Derek Season 2, Karl wants to get out of the spotlight, so he leaves the show, its meh.