Question New cpu's and DDR4-DDR5

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
So much suggestions about getting DDR4 because DDR5 is pricey. There are benchmarks comparing DDR4-DDR5 with alder lake. But are these benchmarks still be same in the long run? As the windows updates for example.

Long question short: Will DDR4 bottleneck i7 12700 now and in the long run compared to DDR5?

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
So much suggestions about getting DDR4 because DDR5 is pricey. There are benchmarks comparing DDR4-DDR5 with alder lake. But are these benchmarks still be same in the long run? As the windows updates for example.

Long question short: Will DDR4 bottleneck i7 12700 now and in the long run compared to DDR5?
None Whatsoever... By the time DDR4 becomes an issue we would be near 2030. That is if WW3 is prevented.

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
But when better ddr5 rams becomes available, wouldn't that effect performances of current high end cpu's? Such as i2900 or raptor lake high end cpu's for example.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hmm ok interesting. Thanks

We did not see any meaningful difference(within margin of error) in DDR3 vs DDR4

1646935808598.png

1646935970344.png

Reactions: hlexe

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
From a technical perspective the big change with DDR5 is that a single stick is dual channel. Where DDR4 requires at least 2 sticks to be dual channel. Having a single stick become DC enables higher throughput and max capacity in less slots producing less heat as well. The issue from a performance standpoint on paper at least is through you gain some features the CL goes down in performance which currently makes them on par for cheaper DDR4 performance but substantially higher pricing due to lack of inventory.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Performance Wise, unless you are using a very niche app, there are almost no performance gains from DDR3 to DDR5, this has been tested over and over again. For Intel at least

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
If you have slow memory, then faster memory helps a whole lot--more than just about anything you can do to your computer. But, once you have fast enough memory, then even faster memory does very little. Think about food. If you don't have enough food, then every additional morsel of food that you get is fantastic. But, once you are stuffed, more food at dinner does very little because you are too stuffed to eat any more.

For the 12700, the cutoff is roughly at 3200. Memory slower than 3200 will really hurt performance. Memory faster than 3200 only gains you a minimal amount. If you want that last tiny bit of performance, then go for DD5. If not, then DDR4 is fine for now. It isn't like your CPU will suddenly have the ability to use faster memory years down the line.

I would consider more your plans with the CPU and memory in the future. If you are likely to upgrade to Raptor Lake, then you might have a need for DDR5 memory. Or if you plan to take that memory and put it into a computer down the line, then DDR5 might be the way to go. If not, some good DDR4 will be just fine.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
From a technical perspective the big change with DDR5 is that a single stick is dual channel.
The other big change is partial ECC. DDR5 can correct for memory errors that occur in the memory chip. But, it cannot correct for memory errors during transmission to/from the CPU. Standard DDR4 does neither.

But, ultimately, unless the use case is very critical, memory errors are so rare that most people just don't need to worry about it. Example: Who cares if a screen pixel is off by 1 bit for a fraction of a second once a year?

hlexe

Feb 27, 2022
If you have slow memory, then faster memory helps a whole lot--more than just about anything you can do to your computer. But, once you have fast enough memory, then even faster memory does very little. Think about food. If you don't have enough food, then every additional morsel of food that you get is fantastic. But, once you are stuffed, more food at dinner does very little because you are too stuffed to eat any more.

For the 12700, the cutoff is roughly at 3200. Memory slower than 3200 will really hurt performance. Memory faster than 3200 only gains you a minimal amount. If you want that last tiny bit of performance, then go for DD5. If not, then DDR4 is fine for now. It isn't like your CPU will suddenly have the ability to use faster memory years down the line.

I would consider more your plans with the CPU and memory in the future. If you are likely to upgrade to Raptor Lake, then you might have a need for DDR5 memory. Or if you plan to take that memory and put it into a computer down the line, then DDR5 might be the way to go. If not, some good DDR4 will be just fine.
For someone wants to upgrade, yes ddr5 is more suitable. İ was planning to get ddr5 motherboard+ram and i5, and later upgrade the cpu to a i7 or i9 raptor rake in 2 years. But as you know ddr5 is expensive, and these are just entry level rams. Maybe in 2 years much faster ones will be available. So i don't want to buy overpriced ram now, and then throw it away later and get a new one. That kills the sense of upgrading. So getting ddr4 now and use it until the end, and buy comptletely a new system is more acceptable. Unless it effects the potential of the last technology cpu's performance in a negative way. But it seems that won't be the case.