New CPU Education Needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Core 2 is basically dead, although what's already out should continue to drop in price up until Intel turns all their focus to Core i7/i5. It would be my best guess that you will be able to find C2Qs for under $150 sometime next year.

Originally posted by: edplayer
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln
It is more than fast enough than the E5200 to justify the price difference, ...

Not on a price/performance level. 42% premium (using the $100 option vs $70) for NOWHERE near a 42% increase in performance. I would still pick the E7400 but the E5200 is the bang 4 the buck king right now.

His budget is large enough so the $30 shouldn't bother him but just because you budget that doesn't mean its a good idea to spend it all. He could save some of it for his planned quad core upgrade in the future. Also that 750W psu is overkill for what he is considering. A high quality 500W psu would work well for an overclocked quad plus an overclocked 4870

I never said it was the best price/performance ;) Although there does come a point where this figure becomes misleading. Especially as prices lower, if the difference between the price of two items is the same (like, $10), the percentage difference between those same two items will increase. Now, since he said he could barely squeeze a Core i7 into his budget, if we used the i7 920's price point as a reference, the price/performance between the E5200, E7400, and E8400 is more promising and I think it would favor the E7400. For example, the E7400 would cost 65% less than the 920 and offer 42% less performance in AT's FC2 benchmark. Meanwhile, the E8400 would cost 43% less and offer 33% less performance. And the E5200 would cost 74% less and offer 54% less performance. So from this standpoint, if I'm looking at the numbers correctly, the E7400 (I used the E6750 in AT's benchmark as a performance reference) offers the best price/performance and would jump ahead of the pack if it does indeed outperform the E6750.

Of course, if overclocking is taken into account these numbers are pretty meaningless. I would need to find benchmarks containing an E5x00, E7x00, and E8x00 all running at the same frequency to even begin to quantify the situation, as well as get a grasp on the most attainable overclocks for each of the chips.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Greed dictates,

as long as one person is faster then you, your not fast enough.

:p

LOL